Re: [webanalytics] Is upgrading to SiteCatalyst v15 worth the trouble?

  • sibel
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27 1:10 AM
      Hi John,
      I was in Site Catalyst V15 beta group and migrated back in 2011 January.
      Then my team started using new version starting from June 2011.
      There have been small issues but nothing major and probably by now there
      are no significant bugs left.

      And yes it is totally worth and you need to do asap. After using v15 you
      realize how weak V14 is..

      Then you can also use PROCESSING RULES feature where you can create and
      copy variables. I have used this option to get rid of lots of variables in
      front end.

      ANd it is not a brain surgery, it is a same product and you just have
      additional features.:)

      thanks
      sibel akcekaya

      http://www.linkedin.com/in/sibelakcekaya

      On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 4:39 AM, johnyuill <john@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I'd like to get opinions on whether upgrading to SiteCatalyst v15 is worth
      > the trouble.
      >
      > The recent question about segmentation in SiteCatalyst 15 has prompted me
      > to tap into the experience of the group. I am anxious to upgrade to SC 15
      > to take advantage of on-the-fly segmentation, more accurate visit counts
      > and time spent, wider availability of some metrics, list variables, ability
      > to compare up to 5 metrics in one chart, full subrelations, etc, etc.
      >
      > However, some Omniture administrators I'm working with are reluctant to go
      > through the upgrade process until they are more convinced that the benefits
      > outweigh the potential hassles. They have heard that v15 is still 'buggy',
      > has features that do not necessarily work as well as advertised
      > (segmentation being one), and may provide unreliable data in reports. (That
      > is to say, more unreliable than SC 14.)
      >
      > We know that there is education and processes to go through to prepare for
      > and implement the upgrade, but I'm interested to hear if anybody in this
      > group has horror stories, cautionary tales, or, on the flip-side, stories
      > of delight and amazement with how awesome SC 15 is and how the benefits
      > totally outweigh any upgrade issues. (Or anything in between.)
      >
      > Thanks!
      > John

    • Ã…sa Jonsson
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27 4:49 AM
        Hi,

        I was responsible in part for the upgrade to SC v15 in my old job. I can say that it was really worth the work to do the upgrade. The segmentation itself is so good and the difference in the interface and structure made it so much easier for our regular users to use the tool.

        One of the things that turned out to be a bit of a problem was that people continued to log in to the old version since it is not automatically turned on as the pre-selected choice on the login page. That resulted in a lot of concerened users who were afraid that something had gone wrong.

        The other part was that we had a bit of troubleshooting with the automated reports. We needed to go in to them an manually upgrade them to v15. I don't know if that is a common issue or not but for us that was a lot of work.

        //Åsa

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 28 10:09 AM
          Thanks to everyone who responded to my question - on the forum here or via direct email. VERY helpful info. Consensus based on the four responses is that it is definitely worth upgrading. One person mentioned they had a 'rocky' transition and recommended having good access to support from Omniture (sage advice), but still felt the gain was well worth the pain.

          This provides some good evidence for our decision-making, strengthens my case and gives me some extra motivation to push for the transition. Hope to join those of who you are using SC 15 soon!

          Thanks,
          John