Participation metrics

  • ankitnagarsheth
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23, 2012
      What variables can participation be turned on in Sitecatalyst? Is it just props and channels? Can it be turned on for eVars? Also, what are some of the scenarios where participation is used?

      Ankit
    • Keith MacDonald
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2012
        Hi Ankit,

        Participation refers only to events, both the 100 custom events and the pre-named e-commerce events (revenue, orders, etc.).

        Participation means that each touch point prior to the conversion event receives full credit for the conversion instead of sharing credit (linear allocation).

        Let's say the conversion event is purchasing a teapot, and let's say the teapot sale generates $100 in revenue and we've enabled revenue participation. If the user touched four campaigns prior to converting, each campaign counts participation revenue of $100 and linear allocation revenue of $25. The hazard is that, when you run a revenue participation report, you'll see total revenue well beyond the actual dollars received (because you double count the same revenue between each campaign that participated in the conversion). If you run a standard revenue report, total revenue should equal the actual dollars received.

        The value of participation metrics is that it provides another view of the relative performance of your marketing campaigns. It could be that your brand advertising campaign doesn't do so well when viewed as last touch (there's no specific call to action, so it doesn't drive a lot of revenue) but when viewed as participation it shows a high participation rate - it drives a lot of revenue from people who eventually convert (probably on a subsequent visit).

        One of the more interesting applications of participation metrics is what Adobe calls content velocity or page view participation. Brent Dykes has a fantastic blog post explaining the idea here - http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/three-approaches-to-evaluating-content-success-in-sitecatalyst/

        Participation allows you a different view of what happened before an event and, depending on your setup, can allow you a view of what happened after an event.

        The thing with participation metrics is that they have to be enabled by ClientCare.

        Cheers,
        Keith

        Keith MacDonald
        http://unilytics.com
        @keithmacd

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "ankitnagarsheth" <ankitnagarsheth@...> wrote:

        > What variables can participation be turned on in Sitecatalyst? Is it just props and channels? Can it be turned on for eVars? Also, what are some of the scenarios where participation is used?
        >

        > Ankit

      • ankitnagarsheth
        Message 3 of 3 , May 4, 2012
          Thanks Keith. I appreciate it for such detailed response.

          Ankit