Re: Clicks, Page Views, Visits.

  • jandrewsxchg
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 22 3:26 AM
      Hi Sree,

      I would need more information than what you provided. What tool are you using? how are you tagging the links?

      We do this at work with SiteCatalyst, but we are using an auto link tagging method which we are able to pass in where the link is located, the link name and the page i happened on within a prop.

      For certain sites, where the content constantly changes including the links, we will pass in the position of the link into this prop, and then in antoher prop, we pass the content value of the link. Once this is done, we are able to correlate these variables and see how they are performing.

      Regards

      Webbing Your Way
      http://bit.ly/wyw_blog

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Sreepriya C G <sreepriyacg@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > We just recently started tracking the home page clicks in each position and
      > content type etc.
      > Please share if some one knows how to analyse the links / positions /
      > contents in the home page using Clicks, Page Views , Visits and Visitors.
      >
      > Thanks, Sree

    • Matt Curtis
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 23 6:59 AM
        You could always check out the ClickMap tool in SC to start. It's not
        perfect and there are some drawbacks, depending on how often your home page
        is updated, but it should provide you with a nice launchpad into more
        granular analysis.

        Matt Curtis
        matt.a.curtis@...
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/mattacurtis

        On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 6:26 AM, jandrewsxchg <jandrews.xchg@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi Sree,
        >
        > I would need more information than what you provided. What tool are you
        > using? how are you tagging the links?
        >
        > We do this at work with SiteCatalyst, but we are using an auto link
        > tagging method which we are able to pass in where the link is located, the
        > link name and the page i happened on within a prop.
        >
        > For certain sites, where the content constantly changes including the
        > links, we will pass in the position of the link into this prop, and then in
        > antoher prop, we pass the content value of the link. Once this is done, we
        > are able to correlate these variables and see how they are performing.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Webbing Your Way
        > http://bit.ly/wyw_blog
        >
        > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Sreepriya C G <sreepriyacg@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello all,
        > >
        > > We just recently started tracking the home page clicks in each position
        > and
        > > content type etc.
        > > Please share if some one knows how to analyse the links / positions /
        > > contents in the home page using Clicks, Page Views , Visits and Visitors.
        > >
        > > Thanks, Sree

      • Keith MacDonald
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2012
          Hi Sree,

          Measuring homepage clicks (regardless of the measurement tool) is tricky. It's also tough to answer without knowing more details about your specific situation.

          On the one hand, this is your prime real estate so whatever content you put there will get clicks. On the other hand, certain types of content are inherently more attractive than others: a story about, say, a Hollyweird star melting down in public will get more clicks than a story about Allan Greenspan retiring. Also, certain media types will get more response than others: a video may get more clicks than a static page.

          There are a couple strategic approaches I would suggest.

          First, do some work to normalize the relative influence of individual positions. Measure the percentage lift a content piece receives as it moves from a secondary position to a primary position (or from one zone to another) and do this across a representative sample of your content. You'll reveal the expected lift for any content piece and, once you've got that benchmark, you can start to measure the performance of an individual piece of content to the expected performance benchmark. This isn't a precise science of course, but it's a start.

          Second, do some work to normalize the relative influence of "headline topics". You know your headlines will get clicked, so look for the non-headlines that did well and compare them to non-headlines that didn't do well. That will hopefully reveal insights about the content types that resonate with your audiences beyond the content you know will do well.

          To analyze by zone, I'd look for "percentage of opportunity" analysis. Of the users who scrolled down that far on the page, how many clicked anything within the last zone of content ("below the fold", although that terminology is a red herring)?

          With those bits of knowledge you can then start playing around with what goes where when, potentially good material for an A/B test.

          Cheers,
          Keith

          Keith MacDonald
          http://unilytics.com
          @keithmacd

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Sreepriya C G <sreepriyacg@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > We just recently started tracking the home page clicks in each position and
          > content type etc.
          > Please share if some one knows how to analyse the links / positions /
          > contents in the home page using Clicks, Page Views , Visits and Visitors.
          >
          > Thanks, Sree

        • JudahPhillips
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2012
            Wow. Only Ben Gaines could replace Ben Gaines.

            What does Ben say about this discrepancy?

            Sent from my iPhone