Anyone interested in sharing their GA implementation?

  • Yuhui
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2012
      Hi all,

      I believe that a lot of us here use Google Analytics. Some of us may have also customized it in a way that is far from a basic implementation. In the spirit of learning from the community, I'm asking us to share how we have customized our GA setup.

      I'll go first. My company's GA setup works entirely through a separate JavaScript file that reads variables that are set in the page code. I took this idea from Omniture's setup of separating "data" (the tags) from "logic" (the JavaScript code).

      Also, my code allows for:
      - using a simple validation to ensure that required variables are set correctly before a tag is set
      - including a customized search engine list
      - easily setting tags for multiple UA profiles
      - using a hack to add additional "utm" campaign tags when tracking certain websites, without needing my developers' to code it

      The full code is here: http://media.wego.com/js/ga/gawego.full.js

      Who else would like to share their GA implementations?

      Regards,
      Yu Hui
      Twitter: @yuhui
    • Vanessa Sabino
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2012
        Nice idea!

        The "special thing" about my implementation is that I save the first
        and the last three traffic sources in a customVar. I started doing
        that before GA provided the multi channel funnels, but even now it's
        useful to segment other reports based on this data.

        The code to set this customVar based on the GA cookie is the first
        block here: http://static.dafiti.com.br/js/javascript.min.v2.js - but
        the code there is also saving a customVar with the time of the first
        visit, which I use to help evaluate our TV advertisements.

        I only have the minified version online, but I can get the more
        "readable" version in case anyone is interested.