Tracking shopping cart on another domain

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2012
      Hi guys,

      I hope you can help here. I cross over into Analytics where I can but am still very green.

      We have a client who has a link on their main site which links to a shopping cart on another site. At the moment, they only have GA on their own site and are not tracking the five steps of the shopping site. Being the conscientious person that I am (;)), I've volunteered to try and get the data included from the shopping cart into their GA account. I've looked high and low on the web to try and find a solution. Nothing I've found makes me feel like I'm getting ALL the information I need, so I thought I would turn to this forum.

      I know that I need to change the code on the client's site and I've found this for the client's site:

      var _gaq = _gaq || [];
      _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-12345-1']);
      _gaq.push(['_setAllowLinker', true]);
      _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'site.com']);
      onclick="_gaq.push(['_link', 'www.blog-hosting-service.com/myBlog']); return false;">View My Blog</a>
      <form name="f" method="post" onsubmit="_gaq.push(['_linkByPost', this]);">

      Question:

      1. Does this come in addition to the standard code that is on the site or does it replace it or is it a combination of both questions?

      2. Do I have to use this new code on all pages of my clients site or only the ones where there is a link out to the shopping cart?

      And I've found this for the shopping cart site:

      var _gaq = _gaq || [];
      _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-12345-1']);
      _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'none']);
      _gaq.push(['_setAllowLinker', true]);
      onclick="_gaq.push(['_link', 'www.example.com']); return false;">View My Site</a>
      <form name="f" method="post" onsubmit="_gaq.push(['_linkByPost', this]);">

      Question:

      1. Again is this the complete code or do I take the standard code and add it to that.

      I'm just very worried about playing around with the code and ruining the stats, so I hope someone can help before I end up having to do that!

      Thanks very much for any help.

      Paul
    • Jar-head, Jug-head, J-Rod, Junior, JR, J-
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2012
        Hi Paul,

        The first thing you should do is create a duplicate profile in google analytics to play around with so you don't have to worry about messing up the "gold source" data.

        Secondly, if possible I would create a test page to test any new tracking script to see if the data is coming across appropriately into you new test profile.

        To answer your questions below:

        1. You are adding pieces to the existing code on the main site. The main thing you are adding is the line _gaq.push(['_setAllowLinker', true]);
        You are also adding new code which is to every link and form submission that goes to the Shopping Cart. For Links you use <a href="www.blog-hosting-service.com/myBlog" onclick="_gaq.push(['_link', 'www.blog-hosting-service.com/myBlog']); return false;">View My Blog</a>

        and for form submissions you add
        <form name="f" method="post" onsubmit="_gaq.push(['_linkByPost', this]);">

        2. You need modify the code on every page on the site in this way if you want it to be in the same Google Analytics Profile.

        For the Shopping Cart Site you are modifying the existing Google Analytics script. You do not need to add any code for links or forms if there is no links on the shopping cart site back to the main site. If there are links then you need to add the same code you did to the main site on every link and form submission.

        Here is another nice article that is a tad complicated that automatically add the appropriate information to all links and forms using Jquery. This is a great option if the site is growing in size or is already quite large.
        http://www.seomoz.org/ugc/google-analytics-cross-domain-tracking-made-easy-14596

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pholding2001@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys,
        >
        > I hope you can help here. I cross over into Analytics where I can but am still very green.
        >
        > We have a client who has a link on their main site which links to a shopping cart on another site. At the moment, they only have GA on their own site and are not tracking the five steps of the shopping site. Being the conscientious person that I am (;)), I've volunteered to try and get the data included from the shopping cart into their GA account. I've looked high and low on the web to try and find a solution. Nothing I've found makes me feel like I'm getting ALL the information I need, so I thought I would turn to this forum.
        >
        > I know that I need to change the code on the client's site and I've found this for the client's site:
        >

        > var _gaq = _gaq || [];
        > _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-12345-1']);
        > _gaq.push(['_setAllowLinker', true]);
        > _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'site.com']);
        > onclick="_gaq.push(['_link', 'www.blog-hosting-service.com/myBlog']); return false;">View My Blog</a>
        > <form name="f" method="post" onsubmit="_gaq.push(['_linkByPost', this]);">
        >
        > Question:
        >
        > 1. Does this come in addition to the standard code that is on the site or does it replace it or is it a combination of both questions?
        >
        > 2. Do I have to use this new code on all pages of my clients site or only the ones where there is a link out to the shopping cart?
        >
        > And I've found this for the shopping cart site:
        >
        > var _gaq = _gaq || [];
        > _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-12345-1']);
        > _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'none']);
        > _gaq.push(['_setAllowLinker', true]);
        > onclick="_gaq.push(['_link', 'www.example.com']); return false;">View My Site</a>
        > <form name="f" method="post" onsubmit="_gaq.push(['_linkByPost', this]);">
        >
        > Question:
        >
        > 1. Again is this the complete code or do I take the standard code and add it to that.
        >
        > I'm just very worried about playing around with the code and ruining the stats, so I hope someone can help before I end up having to do that!
        >
        > Thanks very much for any help.
        >
        > Paul

      • abdou_shalaby
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2012
          Hi Paul,

          First, you have to make sure that your shopping cart support Google analytics. If they support it (Allow you install your GA code at your pages their), then do the following steps:

          1- Update your Google analytics code to be like the following:
          <script type="text/javascript">

          var _gaq = _gaq || [];
          _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-10611857-1']);
          _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'YourWebsiteDomain.com']);
          _gaq.push(['_setAllowLinker', true]);
          _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);

          (function() {
          var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
          ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
          var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
          })();

          </script>

          2- Make sure your Google analytics code installed in all your web pages and in your pages at the shopping card pages.

          3 - Tag the links to the shopping card with the following code:

          - Link case :
          > onclick="_gaq.push(['_link', 'www.example.com']); return false;">View My Site</a>

          - Form Case :
          > <form name="f" method="post" onsubmit="_gaq.push(['_linkByPost', this]);">

          Also, you have to tag links from the shopping card to your website with the same method.

          4- Until now, you will be able to track the 5 steps funnels. To track Ecommerce data, please check the following : http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/docs/tracking/gaTrackingEcommerce.html
          http://analytics.blogspot.com/2009/05/how-to-use-ecommerce-tracking-in-google.html

          Finished :)

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pholding2001@...> wrote:

          > Hi guys,
          >
          > I hope you can help here. I cross over into Analytics where I can but am still very green.
          >
          > We have a client who has a link on their main site which links to a shopping cart on another site. At the moment, they only have GA on their own site and are not tracking the five steps of the shopping site. Being the conscientious person that I am (;)), I've volunteered to try and get the data included from the shopping cart into their GA account. I've looked high and low on the web to try and find a solution. Nothing I've found makes me feel like I'm getting ALL the information I need, so I thought I would turn to this forum.
          >
          > I know that I need to change the code on the client's site and I've found this for the client's site:
          >

          > var _gaq = _gaq || [];
          > _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-12345-1']);
          > _gaq.push(['_setAllowLinker', true]);
          > _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'site.com']);
          > onclick="_gaq.push(['_link', 'www.blog-hosting-service.com/myBlog']); return false;">View My Blog</a>
          > <form name="f" method="post" onsubmit="_gaq.push(['_linkByPost', this]);">
          >
          > Question:
          >
          > 1. Does this come in addition to the standard code that is on the site or does it replace it or is it a combination of both questions?
          >
          > 2. Do I have to use this new code on all pages of my clients site or only the ones where there is a link out to the shopping cart?
          >
          > And I've found this for the shopping cart site:
          >
          > var _gaq = _gaq || [];
          > _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-12345-1']);
          > _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'none']);
          > _gaq.push(['_setAllowLinker', true]);
          > onclick="_gaq.push(['_link', 'www.example.com']); return false;">View My Site</a>
          > <form name="f" method="post" onsubmit="_gaq.push(['_linkByPost', this]);">
          >
          > Question:
          >
          > 1. Again is this the complete code or do I take the standard code and add it to that.
          >
          > I'm just very worried about playing around with the code and ruining the stats, so I hope someone can help before I end up having to do that!
          >
          > Thanks very much for any help.
          >
          > Paul

        • Paul Holding
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2012
            Hi guys,

            Thanks ever so much to both for replying. I'll give that code I try. I realised after reading the Google instructions that the <a..... _link..../a> was not supposed to be included in the actual tracking script but in the link ;)

            One thing I forgot (as I didn't realise it had any bearing) is that clicking on the link for the shopping cart opens into another window. I realise that I have to use getlinker to be able to make this work. This bit of code I do inlcude in the Google tracking script, I think? Any ideas? Does that then mean I'm going to have problems with Internet Explorer and third party cookies...?

            And one other thing.....I have a feeling this might have a big bearing on things too......

            When you click on the link to get to the shopping cart, that link is redirected to another link (I don't know why it's done like that), so you end up on a completely different link to the original link. I fear that this will mean none of the cookie info will be able to be passed on? Is that correct and is there a solution to this?

            Again, thanks so much for your help.

            Adventures of a Splitboarder
            www.paulholding.com