Re: How to check campaign tagging for lots of URLs

  • Stephane Hamel
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2011
      Check the Web Analytics Solution Profiler (WASP) at http://WebAnalyticsSolutionProfiler.com, a tool I created a couple of years ago and is now owned by iPerceptions.com

      Stéphane Hamel

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Yuhui" <yuhuibc@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > What is your tool of choice to check that:
      >
      > 1. all of your campaign URLs are tagged properly, and
      > 2. the resulting tags are being tracked correctly?
      >
      > #1 refers to checking that the correct queries/parameters and values are appended to the URLs.
      >
      > #2 means that your analytics tool can read those tags and attribute the visit correctly, especially if the browser needs to be redirected.
      >
      > In particular, how do you check thousands of URLs? E.g. campaigns that use dynamic feeds, e.g. SEM campaigns. Or a single landing page URL that has lots of tagging variations.
      >
      > Obviously, manually using a web browser and some HTTP monitoring application wouldn't work for lots of URLs.
      >
      > For my case, I'm looking for something that can work with AdWords and Yahoo SM. Support for other search engines would be great too. And also, the checking shouldn't be limited to GA or Omniture, but is flexible enough to check any kind of URL tags.
      >
      > Appreciate the WA community's suggestions!
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Yuhui
      > Twitter: @yuhui

    • Yuhui
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2011
        Thanks for this suggestion, Stephane. But I was really thinking about a "bulk URL checker", i.e. something that can accept a whole bunch of URLs, then check them automatically to make sure that their campaign tags are recorded properly.

        If I use WASP, I would still have to load the URLs one by one, yes?

        It would be even better if the tool can read URLs from, say, Google AdWords, so I don't have to copy-paste the URLs into the tool.

        Regards,
        Yu Hui
        Twitter: @yuhui

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Stephane Hamel" <shamel67@...> wrote:

        > Check the Web Analytics Solution Profiler (WASP) at http://WebAnalyticsSolutionProfiler.com, a tool I created a couple of years ago and is now owned by iPerceptions.com
        >
        > St�phane Hamel
        >
        > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Yuhui" <yuhuibc@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi everyone,
        > >
        > > What is your tool of choice to check that:
        > >
        > > 1. all of your campaign URLs are tagged properly, and
        > > 2. the resulting tags are being tracked correctly?
        > >
        > > #1 refers to checking that the correct queries/parameters and values are appended to the URLs.
        > >
        > > #2 means that your analytics tool can read those tags and attribute the visit correctly, especially if the browser needs to be redirected.
        > >
        > > In particular, how do you check thousands of URLs? E.g. campaigns that use dynamic feeds, e.g. SEM campaigns. Or a single landing page URL that has lots of tagging variations.
        > >
        > > Obviously, manually using a web browser and some HTTP monitoring application wouldn't work for lots of URLs.
        > >
        > > For my case, I'm looking for something that can work with AdWords and Yahoo SM. Support for other search engines would be great too. And also, the checking shouldn't be limited to GA or Omniture, but is flexible enough to check any kind of URL tags.
        > >
        > > Appreciate the WA community's suggestions!
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        > > Yuhui
        > > Twitter: @yuhui

      • Stephane Hamel
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
          You can put the list of links into a text file and use WASP crawler to visit each link. This is available in the advanced version of the tool.