RE: [webanalytics] Re: Web Trends not filtering out visits from spiders

  • jing.suk@thomsonreuters.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 2011
      To be fair to WebTrends, I don’t think what your client encountered is a vendor issue. I’m assuming your client has the software version of WebTrends instead of using WebTrends ondemand services. When using the software version of WebTrends, your client would need to manage the bots/spiders filtering rules within the WebTrends admin console. If they’re using the ondemand version, then WebTrends’s technical team would manage this. At my previous position, we used WebTrends ondemand for 5+ years, and we audit our site traffic, WebTrends didn’t report any spider/bots traffic.

      Best,
      Jing

      From: Rubix <rubix606@...<mailto:rubix606%40yahoo.com>>
      To: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Sunday, November 6, 2011, 12:34 PM

      I'm actually really surprised to hear this. I'm not familiar with WebTrends, but Omniture data tends to be much more reliable than my company's log data as a reflection of actual human activity. The reason for this is that spiders/scripters/bots/etc. are most likely not using JavaScript-enabled clients so that activity simply never gets recorded in the first place.

      What is WebTrends' tracking mechanism?

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, "Dan" <dan@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > We have been having an issue with a client who's using WebTrends. It appears that WebTrends has been reporting site traffic including spider visits and inflating the figures.
      >
      > In some cases reports are showing that spiders visits are inflating traffic by over 100%.
      >
      > Is this a known problem with WebTrends and is there anything we can do to address the problem, or do we recommend a switch to a tool that does strip out these visits?
      >
      > Any help much appreciated
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Dan

      This email was sent to you by Thomson Reuters, the global news and information company. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Thomson Reuters.

    • Matthias Bettag
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 7, 2011
        Hi,

        Webtrends can filter spiders, it is an optional setting of the profile
        configuration.
        However, I experienced some rare issues where a not-yet blacklisted
        spider faked it's user agent and by this passed the filter.

        best,
        Matthias