Legal question regarding tracking trafic from emailing

  • jmvande
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 14, 2011
      Hello,
      I have a question regarding the legal aspects (in terms of privacy) of putting in place a connector between an emailing software and a WA tool.

      The emailing software (obviously) is able to track individuals by their email and there is no legal issues as soon as we respect all the opt'in process.

      But we would like to put in place a connector between our emailing software and our Web Analytics tool in order to retrieve behaviourial and navigational data from the WA tool and put it in the emailing software to be able to make statistics and heavy segmentation based on personnal data (i.e: emails).

      Thus, we will only pass to the WA tools an ID that allows us to identify afterwards the user within the emailing software but not directly into the WA tool.

      So my concerns are:
      Does the opt'in for the email is enough to cover this?
      Does it break any legal rules?

      Thanks for your input.
    • gamerpatrick
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 14, 2011
        It's an important question to be sure, but the answer varies greatly depending on where you/your client are located. Germany's laws, for example, are much different than USA's.

        Patrick Mazzotta
        Senior Web Analytics Consultant
        http://unilytics.com
        &
        http://pmazzotta.com

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jmvande" <jmarc@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I have a question regarding the legal aspects (in terms of privacy) of putting in place a connector between an emailing software and a WA tool.
        >
        > The emailing software (obviously) is able to track individuals by their email and there is no legal issues as soon as we respect all the opt'in process.
        >
        > But we would like to put in place a connector between our emailing software and our Web Analytics tool in order to retrieve behaviourial and navigational data from the WA tool and put it in the emailing software to be able to make statistics and heavy segmentation based on personnal data (i.e: emails).
        >
        > Thus, we will only pass to the WA tools an ID that allows us to identify afterwards the user within the emailing software but not directly into the WA tool.
        >
        > So my concerns are:
        > Does the opt'in for the email is enough to cover this?
        > Does it break any legal rules?
        >
        > Thanks for your input.

      • jsterne
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 14, 2011
          I would never propose to know the law Jmarc - especially world-wide but I *can* talk about marketing.

          Bottom line? Opt In.

          If you convince me that there is some benefit to me in giving you my email address and convince me that I can trust you with it, then I opt in.

          If you can convince me that there is some benefit to me in allowing you to connect my visit data with my email address, I will opt in.

          Customers will be happy and legal problem will be solved.
          Jim Sterne <jsterne@...
          +1 805 965 3184 x 4
          eMetrics Marketing Optimization Summit
          Target Marketing of Santa Barbara
          Author of Social Media Metrics
          Internet Marketing Conference
          Web Analytics Association

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jmvande" <jmarc@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          > I have a question regarding the legal aspects (in terms of privacy) of putting in place a connector between an emailing software and a WA tool.
          >
          > The emailing software (obviously) is able to track individuals by their email and there is no legal issues as soon as we respect all the opt'in process.
          >
          > But we would like to put in place a connector between our emailing software and our Web Analytics tool in order to retrieve behaviourial and navigational data from the WA tool and put it in the emailing software to be able to make statistics and heavy segmentation based on personnal data (i.e: emails).
          >
          > Thus, we will only pass to the WA tools an ID that allows us to identify afterwards the user within the emailing software but not directly into the WA tool.
          >
          > So my concerns are:
          > Does the opt'in for the email is enough to cover this?
          > Does it break any legal rules?
          >
          > Thanks for your input.

        • Julien Coquet
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 14, 2011
            To paraphrase Jim, i'm not sure a Vulcan mind meld would count as customer
            benefit :-)

            Julien Coquet
            Mobile: +33 (0) 615 082 768
            Home: julien.coquet@...
            Work: jcoquet@...
            Skype: juliencoquet | Twitter: juliencoquet

            On 14 oct. 2011, at 19:12, gamerpatrick <patrick.mazzotta@...>
            wrote:

            It's an important question to be sure, but the answer varies greatly
            depending on where you/your client are located. Germany's laws, for example,
            are much different than USA's.

            Patrick Mazzotta
            Senior Web Analytics Consultant
            http://unilytics.com
            &
            http://pmazzotta.com

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jmvande" <jmarc@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            > I have a question regarding the legal aspects (in terms of privacy) of
            putting in place a connector between an emailing software and a WA tool.

            > The emailing software (obviously) is able to track individuals by their
            email and there is no legal issues as soon as we respect all the opt'in
            process.

            > But we would like to put in place a connector between our emailing
            software and our Web Analytics tool in order to retrieve behaviourial and
            navigational data from the WA tool and put it in the emailing software to be
            able to make statistics and heavy segmentation based on personnal data (i.e:
            emails).

            > Thus, we will only pass to the WA tools an ID that allows us to identify
            afterwards the user within the emailing software but not directly into the
            WA tool.

            > So my concerns are:
            > Does the opt'in for the email is enough to cover this?
            > Does it break any legal rules?
            >
            > Thanks for your input.

          • Jim Sterne
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 14, 2011
              Thanks Julien -

              Here's the reference:

              http://emetrics.wordpress.com/2008/08/21/giving-visitors-control-over-privacy/

              To paraphrase Jim, i'm not sure a Vulcan mind meld would count as customer
              benefit :-)

              Julien Coquet
              Mobile: +33 (0) 615 082 768
              Home: julien.coquet@... <mailto:julien.coquet%40gmail.com>
              Work: jcoquet@... <mailto:jcoquet%40hub-sales.com>
              Skype: juliencoquet | Twitter: juliencoquet