GA | Account Security

  • Kush Soni
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 14, 2011
      Hi all,

      I have a query about Google Tracking code:

      We do implement a JS code on all the pages which has a unique UA code for
      each profile you have created in GA and this is visible in page source and
      can be copied easily by anyone.

      My question- if someone will copy that code and implement on any of the page
      controlled by him and. will these visits will be counted in my account? if
      no then why..?

      --

      Cheers!
      - K -

    • Shawna Martin
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 14, 2011
        Good question! I've been concerned about that too. Why would anyone do that
        though?

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 14, 2011
          Yes, it will be counted - note this isn't unique to GA, most web analytics solutions and a bunch of other services use account numbers which are visible somewhere in the code.

          In GA, the way to overcome this is simply to use a profile filter which will include only the traffic you want. Best practice is to keep a "raw/unfiltered" profile without any filters and config, and create another one with the filters and config you want. You might also want to have a "test" profile where you'll test any such changes before applying them to your "production" profile.

          Stéphane Hamel
          Director, Strategic Services
          http://cardinalpath.com
          twitter: @SHamelCP

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Kush Soni <studentkush@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I have a query about Google Tracking code:
          >
          > We do implement a JS code on all the pages which has a unique UA code for
          > each profile you have created in GA and this is visible in page source and
          > can be copied easily by anyone.
          >
          > My question- if someone will copy that code and implement on any of the page
          > controlled by him and. will these visits will be counted in my account? if
          > no then why..?
          >
          > --
          >
          > Cheers!
          > - K -
          > 9811445797

        • Bob Willis
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 14, 2011
            Yes, the visits/views/visitors would be seen in your account. As to why anyone would do this, no clue.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 14, 2011
              Hi Shawna,

              anyone can do this with the intention of inflating your data. though it is
              rare but as this question poped up I asked :-)

              --

              Cheers!
              - K -

            • Kush Soni
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 14, 2011
                Thanks Stephane,

                This makes sense. I will use the same.--

                Cheers!
                - K -
                9811445797

              • Bani
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 14, 2011
                  This is a bit unrelated, but I have a question regarding the filter.

                  In my case, I have the tracking installed on my site, which is at
                  www.mydomain.com (just an example). It's an e-commerce site. It's also
                  possible to access the site through some specific subdomains, such as
                  sub1.mydomain.com. When someone does that, the whole site works the same, we
                  just change the header, and the subdomain is kept through all the
                  navigation.

                  I need to have a separate profile to see the data only for each of these
                  subdomains. So I've created a new profile under the same account with a
                  custom filter of type "Include" with field "Hostname" matching the
                  pattern sub1\.mydomain\.com

                  On my tracking code I have the line _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', '.
                  mydomain.com']); in order to avoid problems with the cookies.

                  But it didn't work. Number of visits is much higher than expected and it's
                  also counting all the sales, not only the ones that are done through the
                  specific subdomain.

                  Is there something wrong with my configuration? I plan to force these
                  subdomains to add regular GA tracking parameters and then I'll filter by
                  Campaign Source instead, but I was wondering if there were any other way so
                  that I wouldn't loose the source information (which for these subdomains
                  actually aren't important now, but maybe in the future that could change).

                  Thanks,
                  Vanessa

                  On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Stephane Hamel <shamel67@...> wrote:

                  > Yes, it will be counted - note this isn't unique to GA, most web analytics
                  > solutions and a bunch of other services use account numbers which are
                  > visible somewhere in the code.
                  >
                  > In GA, the way to overcome this is simply to use a profile filter which
                  > will include only the traffic you want. Best practice is to keep a
                  > "raw/unfiltered" profile without any filters and config, and create another
                  > one with the filters and config you want. You might also want to have a
                  > "test" profile where you'll test any such changes before applying them to
                  > your "production" profile.
                  >
                  > Stéphane Hamel
                  > Director, Strategic Services
                  > http://cardinalpath.com
                  > twitter: @SHamelCP
                  >
                  > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Kush Soni <studentkush@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi all,
                  > >
                  > > I have a query about Google Tracking code:
                  > >
                  > > We do implement a JS code on all the pages which has a unique UA code for
                  > > each profile you have created in GA and this is visible in page source
                  > and
                  > > can be copied easily by anyone.
                  > >
                  > > My question- if someone will copy that code and implement on any of the
                  > page
                  > > controlled by him and. will these visits will be counted in my account?
                  > if
                  > > no then why..?
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > >
                  > > Cheers!
                  > > - K -
                  > > 9811445797

                  > ------------------------------------
                  >
                  > ---------------------------------------
                  > The Web Analytics Forum
                  > Founded by Eric T. Peterson (www.webanalyticsdemystified.com)
                  > Moderated by the Web Analytics Association (
                  > www.webanalyticsassociation.org)
                  > Email moderators at: webanalytics-moderators@yahoogroups.comYahoo! Groups
                  > Links

                • Stephane Hamel
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 14, 2011
                    This happens all the time when people ripp-off your site content or design and are too stupid/don't understand what they are doing :)

                    In GA v5, check under Visitors / Technology / Network and pick the Hostname as the dimension, you might be in for a surprise!

                    Stéphane

                    --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Shawna Martin" <smartin@...> wrote:

                    > Good question! I've been concerned about that too. Why would anyone do that
                    > though?
                    >

                    > _____

                  • Jeremy
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 18, 2011
                      @Kush,

                      It should not collect data except from the defined domain which you used when signing up. It is my understanding that the GA UA code is linked to the domain it is registered under. Ex. If your website has the domain "www.mysite.com" GA will only store and report data which comes from that domain; meaning that the UA is directly linked to the registered "www.mysite.com".

                      You can double check this by using the secondary dimension: content-> "hostname"

                      Regards,

                      Jeremy