Help with scenarios

  • Décio Alexandre
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 2011
      Hi, my name is Decio and I manage the Web department in an Online Games
      company in Brazil.

      I have some serious doubts with a ton of issues we are facing and was hoping
      you could help me.

      - The first one deals with the managing of profiles and behavior of
      campaigns:
      The company here have many websites, one company website and one site for
      each of our games. They are thus organized on the server:

      root
      |__ /mainsite/
      |__ /game1/
      |__ /game2/
      |__ /game3/
      .
      .
      |__ /gameX/

      All sites answer for: http://domain.com.br/SITEFOLDER/
      Now, I have a profile for the whole domain, and a back-up profile with the
      same but without filters.

      For the main website and the game sites, I have a profile for each, which
      filter traffic that access that specific folder.

      About this, there are 3 questions:
      1. Is that the best approuch in setting up Analytics?
      2. Regarding campaigns, we have a lot situations where a user clicks on an
      ad on any site on the web, which is tagged with the utm parameters and send
      the user to gamesite1. Then he leaves, and that same capaign source for
      traffic is shown on gamesite2. At firts, that didn't seem possible to me,
      because in this case, there were'nt any direct links from gamesite1 to
      gamesite2, so I assumed that the user went back to the web and later on
      arrived at gamesite2 by whatever means. In this case, is it normal to see
      like 1000 visits on gamesite1 with that ad "X" as the source, and then have
      like 300 or so visits on gamesite2, coming from that same ad, even though
      the destination URL of the ad is ONLY gamesite1?
      Did this get too confusing? We have this on all our sites. A campaign that
      should lead the user to only one site, ends up being shown and source on all
      other profiles. I was wondering if that is a desired or correct behavior, or
      if this happens because of the above environment, we have.
      3. We have goals set on every site. When I look on traffic
      source/campaigns/goals, almos all of capaigns are showing 0% of conversion
      (registration form), even though I have the registration reports for that
      period that shows that number should never be 0%. What could be the problem
      in this case? This is happening with campaigns tagged with utm parameters
      and adwords campaigns with auto tagging, but it happened mainly with the
      adwords campaigns (and adwords is already integrated to Analytics).

      - Now, this one is about goals and funnels: What is the real difference
      between goals and funnels? Why my goal conversion rate is about 70% and the
      goal funnel visualization for that goal shows less than 20% conversions? One
      other thing: on the goals I've set, I sometimes see that people is leaving
      the step of the funnel to another page which is exactly the next page in the
      funnel process. Why does that happen? How can I correct this?

      Guys, I know it's a ton of doubts, but I've been tweaking with this for a
      long time without any results.
      I thank you very much for taking the time to go over the email, and for any
      help.

      Best regards.
      Decio

    • Alla
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 11, 2011
        Hi Decio

        1 Seems OK to me.
        2 Can user move to the mainsite as surely you have links to the main site on each of your ame sites? And then move to another game site from there? Also, some of them could type URL in the browser or come back via bookmark.
        3 AdWords campaigns need to have goals imported from the GA account. This can be an issue.
        4 Funnel and Goal conversion: if any of your steps in the funnel were set up as required then conversion rate in the funnel will include only those conversion which came through this required step. Thus, your goal conversion rate and funnel conversion rate will be different.

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Décio Alexandre <deciopenna@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > in this case? This is happening with campaigns tagged with utm parameters
        > and adwords campaigns with auto tagging, but it happened mainly with the
        > adwords campaigns (and adwords is already integrated to Analytics).
        >

        > - Now, this one is about goals and funnels: What is the real difference
        > between goals and funnels? Why my goal conversion rate is about 70% and the
        > goal funnel visualization for that goal shows less than 20% conversions? One
        > other thing: on the goals I've set, I sometimes see that people is leaving
        > the step of the funnel to another page which is exactly the next page in the
        > funnel process. Why does that happen? How can I correct this?
        >

        > Guys, I know it's a ton of doubts, but I've been tweaking with this for a
        > long time without any results.
        > I thank you very much for taking the time to go over the email, and for any

      • Décio Alexandre
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 14, 2011
          Hi, Alla, thanks for your answers.

          2. Yes, all game sites have a menu bar on top of it, which allow the users
          to move back to the company website and from there to any other game site.
          So that could be the main reason for the same source as campaign showing on
          both profiles, right? So, if the user leaves site one and click on a banner
          that directs to site 2, campaign2 will be credited as the source for site 2,
          or still campaign 1?
          Is there a way to prevent the other profiles from being credited as source
          coming from campaigns directed to a single site (and profile)? If so, what
          are the pros and cons?

          Once again, thank you very much for the answer.

          On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Alla <alla.omelchenko@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > adwords campaigns (and adwords is already integrated to Analytics).
          > >

          > > - Now, this one is about goals and funnels: What is the real difference
          > > between goals and funnels? Why my goal conversion rate is about 70% and
          > the
          > > goal funnel visualization for that goal shows less than 20% conversions?
          > One
          > > other thing: on the goals I've set, I sometimes see that people is
          > leaving
          > > the step of the funnel to another page which is exactly the next page in
          > the
          > > funnel process. Why does that happen? How can I correct this?
          > >

          > > Guys, I know it's a ton of doubts, but I've been tweaking with this for a
          > > long time without any results.
          > > I thank you very much for taking the time to go over the email, and for

        • tervebe
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 30, 2011
            So, if I understand it: you have 1 domain, and all games reside on their own directory on this domain?

            In this case, the campaign cookie is shared over all directories of the domain, unless you have implemented cookiesetting per directory (http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/docs/gaJS/gaJSApiDomainDirectory.html#_gat.GA_Tracker_._setCookiePath).

            Secondly, if you haven't limited the campaigncookie in lifetime, it remembers traffic sources for 6 months (http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/docs/gaJS/gaJSApiCampaignTracking.html#_gat.GA_Tracker_._setCampaignCookieTimeout).

            This can be very annoying if you have a site with a lot of returning visitors, that come through bookmarks or directly tapping the websites' address in the browser.
            That's why you probably see that huge number of campaign visits.

            About the weird funnel exits: this is the reason: http://www.analyticsexperts.com/2010/09/funnel-abandonment-explained.html

          • decioalex
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2011
              Sorry for the long delay in replying. I have the list on digest and seem to have missed this.

              Thanks for the explanation. I didn't think about the cookie lifetime, that could be the reason. In that case, for our business, since our gamers tend to play more than one of our games, and may return through another campaign, it would be best to set the cookie for 1 month at best?

              About the setting per directory, what could be the down site of doing this? Can that affect any other statistic beside the campaign as traffic source?

              And thanks for the post indication, that really helped clarify the case. So instead of a possible missetting of GA, that reporting in Goal Funnels are in fact a great indication of urgent need for corrections! And for action. That's great to know.

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "tervebe" <beate@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > in this case? This is happening with campaigns tagged with utm parameters
              > > and adwords campaigns with auto tagging, but it happened mainly with the
              > > adwords campaigns (and adwords is already integrated to Analytics).
              > >

              > > - Now, this one is about goals and funnels: What is the real difference
              > > between goals and funnels? Why my goal conversion rate is about 70% and the
              > > goal funnel visualization for that goal shows less than 20% conversions? One
              > > other thing: on the goals I've set, I sometimes see that people is leaving
              > > the step of the funnel to another page which is exactly the next page in the
              > > funnel process. Why does that happen? How can I correct this?
              > >

              > > Guys, I know it's a ton of doubts, but I've been tweaking with this for a
              > > long time without any results.
              > > I thank you very much for taking the time to go over the email, and for any

            • decioalex
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2011
                Ok, the link you sent explained a lot, but just got through the funnel report on one of the sites and it not only shows the exit pages which are next steps of the process (which we now know to be ok), but it shows the entrance pages as being next steps as well.

                The problem with this is that since the goal is a 4 step registration page and each next step gets "unlocked" by the previous one (can't be accessed directly.

                So in this case, that would be weird because, as stated in the article, as the person completes each step it cannot be considered again for the funnel. So, how can someone enter the funnel by like the third, or second step page and then go on with the process?

                Thanks once again and regards.
                Decio

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 9, 2011
                  Hi

                  1 yes, in this case your utmz cookie still has the first referral info. However, as soon as they clicked on another paid ad somewhere alese the cookie information gets rewritten. Although if user clicks on the internal banner utmz cookie still has the original information.

                  2 Not sure if there is a safe way of doing this unless you put utm tags on your internal banners...

                  Alla