Re: URL excel creator for tracking all external campaigns

  • mvozzo
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2011
      Peter,

      Thanks for sharing this blog post. Your Excel GA Campaign Tracking URL builders are AWESOME. I downloaded all 3 of them. They are by far the best and most professional I've seen to date.

      Thanks again for sharing.

      Regards,
      Mark Vozzo
      Web Analyst at Salesforce.com (APAC)

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Peter O'Neill" <updates@...> wrote:

      > Hi Kris,
      >
      > Do you mean an Excel tool to build URLs that include campaign parameters for Google Analytics? If so, check out my recent blog post including three excel tools for doing exactly this (depending on the channel) - http://www.l3analytics.com/2011/09/08/google-analytics-campaign-url-builder/.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Peter
      >
      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Kris" <afojay@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello everyone,
      > >
      > > Is there anyone here that can help with creating an excel document that automatically names tracking url's. Presently, I need this for all marketing campaigns that go out, PPC, SEO, display and afffiliates.
      > >
      > > Thanks.

    • Peter O'Neill
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 2, 2011
        Thanks for the positive feedback Mark and you're welcome. It's great to know the Excel tools are of value to other web analysts. Look out for the SiteCatalyst equivalent which I will be publishing in the next two weeks.

        Cheers

        Peter

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "mvozzo" <mark.vozzo@...> wrote:

        > Peter,
        >
        > Thanks for sharing this blog post. Your Excel GA Campaign Tracking URL builders are AWESOME. I downloaded all 3 of them. They are by far the best and most professional I've seen to date.
        >
        > Thanks again for sharing.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Mark Vozzo
        > Web Analyst at Salesforce.com (APAC)
        >

        > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Peter O'Neill" <updates@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Kris,
        > >
        > > Do you mean an Excel tool to build URLs that include campaign parameters for Google Analytics? If so, check out my recent blog post including three excel tools for doing exactly this (depending on the channel) - http://www.l3analytics.com/2011/09/08/google-analytics-campaign-url-builder/.
        > >
        > > Regards
        > >
        > > Peter
        > >
        > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Kris" <afojay@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hello everyone,
        > > >
        > > > Is there anyone here that can help with creating an excel document that automatically names tracking url's. Presently, I need this for all marketing campaigns that go out, PPC, SEO, display and afffiliates.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks.

      • Steve Eisenberg
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 2, 2011
          Hi Peter:

          Pardon me if the following question has already been covered in this thread.

          Are the Excel tools you have available, give a layman the ability to easily analyze and massage data from GA? In my case, the objective is to make recommendations towards future online strategies? I have a potential client with a Point of Sale system. They are interested in overlaying the Point of Sale system data with information from GA. Do you have any suggestions or someone with expertise I can contact?

          Many thanks,
          Steve Eisenberg

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, "mvozzo" <mark.vozzo@...<mailto:mark.vozzo@...>> wrote:

          > Peter,
          >
          > Thanks for sharing this blog post. Your Excel GA Campaign Tracking URL builders are AWESOME. I downloaded all 3 of them. They are by far the best and most professional I've seen to date.
          >
          > Thanks again for sharing.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Mark Vozzo
          > Web Analyst at Salesforce.com (APAC)
          >

          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, "Peter O'Neill" <updates@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Kris,
          > >
          > > Do you mean an Excel tool to build URLs that include campaign parameters for Google Analytics? If so, check out my recent blog post including three excel tools for doing exactly this (depending on the channel) - http://www.l3analytics.com/2011/09/08/google-analytics-campaign-url-builder/.<http://www.l3analytics.com/2011/09/08/google-analytics-campaign-url-builder/>
          > >
          > > Regards
          > >
          > > Peter
          > >
          > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, "Kris" <afojay@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hello everyone,
          > > >
          > > > Is there anyone here that can help with creating an excel document that automatically names tracking url's. Presently, I need this for all marketing campaigns that go out, PPC, SEO, display and afffiliates.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks.

        • Peter O'Neill
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 2, 2011
            Hi Steve,

            I am not sure exactly what you are after but think Excel Dashboards that combine data from multiple sources may prove useful. It won't allow proper analysis of data but will provide an understanding of performance and the ability to drill down a level or two to identify the factors that influenced changes in performance.

            You can see the standard templates that I have created at http://www.l3analytics.com/2011/05/16/free-excel-dashboard-template/. Beyond these, or any other tools, it may be training/support that your client requires to interpret data and use it to identify changes that will lead to an improvement in performance.

            Let me know if you have any questions re the dashboard templates or anything else.

            Cheers

            Peter

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Steve Eisenberg <steve@...> wrote:

            > Hi Peter:
            >
            > Pardon me if the following question has already been covered in this thread.
            >
            > Are the Excel tools you have available, give a layman the ability to easily analyze and massage data from GA? In my case, the objective is to make recommendations towards future online strategies? I have a potential client with a Point of Sale system. They are interested in overlaying the Point of Sale system data with information from GA. Do you have any suggestions or someone with expertise I can contact?
            >
            > Many thanks,
            > Steve Eisenberg

          • Alla
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 5, 2011
              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Kris" <afojay@...> wrote:

              > Hello everyone,
              >
              > Is there anyone here that can help with creating an excel document that automatically names tracking url's. Presently, I need this for all marketing campaigns that go out, PPC, SEO, display and afffiliates.
              >
              > Thanks.

              Hi Kris

              Use Concatenate function

              The formula may look something like

              =J3&"&utm_campaign="&LOWER(SUBSTITUTE(E3," ","-"))&"&utm_source="&LOWER(SUBSTITUTE(G3," ","-"))&"&utm_medium="&LOWER(SUBSTITUTE(F3," ","-"))&IF(NOT(ISBLANK(H3)),"&utm_content="&LOWER(SUBSTITUTE(H3," ","-")),"")&IF(NOT(ISBLANK(I3)),"&utm_term="&LOWER(SUBSTITUTE(I3," ","-")),"")

              where J3 is your destination url. I used ampersand as I have other tags in front but you van replace it with the question mark.
              Previous columns contain your GA tag parameters.

              Alla
            • friedrichs04
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 5, 2011
                Hi Alla,

                I assume

                SUBSTITUTE(E3,"","-"..

                is a work around in order to create correct URLs. :)

                Too bad that Excel doesn't provide a function like URLENCODE(A1) to properly encode a text string.

                Since we also provide Excel templates to our clients and URL encoding was always a hassle our developers wrote an Excel plugin that adds the functions URLENCODE and URLDECODE. This is very helpful for us and our clients.

                We released the plugin to the public and it can be downloaded from here:

                http://www.dc-storm.de/news/URLencode+%26+URLdecode+als+Excel-Funktion/#download

                Sorry, the installation instructions are in German. But you might get it from the screen shots how to add it via Excel's Add-In manager.

                If anybody is going to use the plugin I'm happy to get/see any feedback, shares, tweets etc. :)

                Regards,
                Birger

                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Alla" <alla.omelchenko@...> wrote:
                > Hi Kris
                >
                > Use Concatenate function
                >
                > The formula may look something like
                >
                > =J3&"&utm_campaign="&LOWER(SUBSTITUTE(E3," ","-"))&"&utm_source="&LOWER(SUBSTITUTE(G3," ","-"))&"&utm_medium="&LOWER(SUBSTITUTE(F3," ","-"))&IF(NOT(ISBLANK(H3)),"&utm_content="&LOWER(SUBSTITUTE(H3," ","-")),"")&IF(NOT(ISBLANK(I3)),"&utm_term="&LOWER(SUBSTITUTE(I3," ","-")),"")
                >
                > where J3 is your destination url. I used ampersand as I have other tags in front but you van replace it with the question mark.
                > Previous columns contain your GA tag parameters.
                >
                > Alla

              • Alla
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 6, 2011
                  It's very interesting, Birger. I'll have a look at it.
                  Many thanks,
                  Alla

                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "friedrichs04" <bf@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Alla,
                  >
                  > I assume
                  >
                  > SUBSTITUTE(E3,"","-"..
                  >
                  > is a work around in order to create correct URLs. :)
                  >
                  > Too bad that Excel doesn't provide a function like URLENCODE(A1) to properly encode a text string.
                  >
                  > Since we also provide Excel templates to our clients and URL encoding was always a hassle our developers wrote an Excel plugin that adds the functions URLENCODE and URLDECODE. This is very helpful for us and our clients.
                  >
                  > We released the plugin to the public and it can be downloaded from here:
                  >
                  > http://www.dc-storm.de/news/URLencode+%26+URLdecode+als+Excel-Funktion/#download
                  >
                  > Sorry, the installation instructions are in German. But you might get it from the screen shots how to add it via Excel's Add-In manager.
                  >
                  > If anybody is going to use the plugin I'm happy to get/see any feedback, shares, tweets etc. :)
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Birger
                  >

                  > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Alla" <alla.omelchenko@> wrote:
                  > > Hi Kris
                  > >
                  > > Use Concatenate function
                  > >
                  > > The formula may look something like
                  > >
                  > > =J3&"&utm_campaign="&LOWER(SUBSTITUTE(E3," ","-"))&"&utm_source="&LOWER(SUBSTITUTE(G3," ","-"))&"&utm_medium="&LOWER(SUBSTITUTE(F3," ","-"))&IF(NOT(ISBLANK(H3)),"&utm_content="&LOWER(SUBSTITUTE(H3," ","-")),"")&IF(NOT(ISBLANK(I3)),"&utm_term="&LOWER(SUBSTITUTE(I3," ","-")),"")
                  > >
                  > > where J3 is your destination url. I used ampersand as I have other tags in front but you van replace it with the question mark.
                  > > Previous columns contain your GA tag parameters.
                  > >
                  > > Alla

                • Paul Holding
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 18, 2011
                    Hi all,

                    I've been lurking on here for a while reading with interest. I'm a bit stuck with a project and was wondering if you could help.

                    I'm using Google Analytics with this client. The client runs ad campaigns on the TV and I would like to see what impact that would have on net usage straight after having seen the ad.

                    That means I would like to see what time the visits came. In other words, is it possible to see what the unique visits are hour by hour instead of day by day?

                    Hopefully, an easy question to answer. I don't seem to be having much luck myself.

                    Many thanks

                  • Paul Holding

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 18, 2011
                        HI Paul,

                        This is quite easy to find this information in Google Analytics. You need to
                        create a custom report to find out this information. Click here
                        http://goo.gl/3PfjN to go to Custom Report and apply it to your client's
                        website profile. Run this report on any 1 calendar day and it will give you
                        hourly traffic by hour.

                        Before you click above link make sure you are logged into Google Analytics
                        and you are viewing any of the standard report.

                        Hope this will help.

                        thanks,
                        Mohit

                        On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Paul Holding <pholding2001@...>wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > Hi all,
                        >
                        > I've been lurking on here for a while reading with interest. I'm a bit
                        > stuck with a project and was wondering if you could help.
                        >
                        > I'm using Google Analytics with this client. The client runs ad campaigns
                        > on the TV and I would like to see what impact that would have on net usage
                        > straight after having seen the ad.
                        >
                        > That means I would like to see what time the visits came. In other words,
                        > is it possible to see what the unique visits are hour by hour instead of day
                        > by day?
                        >
                        > Hopefully, an easy question to answer. I don't seem to be having much luck
                        > myself.
                        >
                        > Many thanks

                      • Jeremy
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 18, 2011
                          Hello Paul,

                          It is simple. On the right hand side of the analytics reporting you have the date selection filter. Below the dates selected there are 3 light grey texts "metrics..." "compare metrics" & "Graph By" select "Graph By" and then select "Hourly"

                          Regards,

                          Jeremy

                          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Paul Holding <pholding2001@...> wrote:

                          > Hi all,
                          >

                          > I've been lurking on here for a while reading with interest. I'm a bit stuck with a project and was wondering if you could help.
                          >
                          > I'm using Google Analytics with this client. The client runs ad campaigns on the TV and I would like to see what impact that would have on net usage straight after having seen the ad.
                          >
                          > That means I would like to see what time the visits came. In other words, is it possible to see what the unique visits are hour by hour instead of day by day?
                          >
                          > Hopefully, an easy question to answer. I don't seem to be having much luck myself.
                          >
                          > Many thanks

                        • Paul Holding
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 18, 2011
                            Hi guys,

                            That is brilliant. Thanks so much for your help.

                            Adventures of a Splitboarder
                            www.paulholding.com