Re: [webanalytics] which bounce rate is right in omniture?

  • Matt Curtis
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 12, 2011
      Yes but it also depends on the date range you are looking at. Discover
      starts using sample data after a certain timeframe, which might indicate
      that SC bounce might be more accurate.

      On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Robert Yu <robert.yu@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I think the discover numbers are more accurate since discover is able to
      > track non-first party cookie traffic.
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Sep 12, 2011, at 10:29 AM, Hussain Ahmed <hussain.marketing@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > i think single access from site cat is true reflection of bounce rate. we
      > > use site cat single access
      > >
      > > On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 7:49 AM, KenW <ansonken@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > Accoridng to the omniture introduction:
      > > >
      > > > in sitecatalyst
      > > > Bounce rate = single access / entries
      > > >
      > > > in discover
      > > > Bounce rate = single page visits / entries
      > > >
      > > > While, actually, I found discover.single page visits is always less
      > than
      > > > sitecatalyst.single access. (only about its 4/5)
      > > >
      > > > do you guys meet this problem?
      > > > in this situation, which is the right bounce rate?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for help

    • Lindsay Foxley
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 13, 2011
        From Omniture �

        While the terms "Single
        Access" and "Single Page Visits" as used in SiteCatalyst share some characteristics, there are noteworthy distinctions between
        the two and how they should be used and interpreted. Most importantly, the term "Single
        Access" refers to a
        metric available in the Pages report and certain other traffic reports, whereas the term "Single Page Visits" refers to a specific
        report.
        Single Access is a metric indicating the
        number of visits that contained only one value in the given report,
        although this visit may consist of multiple page views. Many reports,
        such as the Pages report, list various values that
        a user may have encountered during his or her time on your site; in the
        Pages report, these values are the various page names collected from
        the pages of your site. In Custom Traffic reports, these values can
        represent any data points, based on your needs.
        Single Access simply represents visits where only one
        such value was recorded. If a visit consisted of two page views, and
        both page views had a value of "home" in a Custom Traffic variable, then
        one "Single
        Access" would be recorded for the value of "home" in that report.
        By contrast, a Single Page Visit is a visit that consists of
        only one page view, regardless of the page name or other variable
        values that exist on the page.

        To: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
        From: matt.curtis@...
        Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 15:05:25 -0400
        Subject: Re: [webanalytics] which bounce rate is right in omniture?

        Yes but it also depends on the date range you are looking at. Discover

        starts using sample data after a certain timeframe, which might indicate

        that SC bounce might be more accurate.

        On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Robert Yu <robert.yu@...> wrote:

        > **

        > I think the discover numbers are more accurate since discover is able to

        > track non-first party cookie traffic.

        > Sent from my iPhone

        > On Sep 12, 2011, at 10:29 AM, Hussain Ahmed <hussain.marketing@...>

        > wrote:

        > > i think single access from site cat is true reflection of bounce rate. we

        > > use site cat single access

        > > On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 7:49 AM, KenW <ansonken@...> wrote:

        > > > **

        > > > Accoridng to the omniture introduction:

        > > > in sitecatalyst

        > > > Bounce rate = single access / entries

        > > > in discover

        > > > Bounce rate = single page visits / entries

        > > > While, actually, I found discover.single page visits is always less

        > than

        > > > sitecatalyst.single access. (only about its 4/5)

        > > > do you guys meet this problem?

        > > > in this situation, which is the right bounce rate?

        > > > Thanks for help

      • Todd Deno
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 13, 2011
          Do you have the "count page reloads" check box selected? If so that is probably why you are seeing fewer number in Discover than SC as SC automatically excludes page reloads where Discover needs to be told to do so.