Tag Management Solution

  • dhinglidesai
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 1, 2011
      Hi All,

      Our company is looking to implement a tag managment solution to accomodate for web analytics tags, pixels, custom parameter capture etc.

      The four major players we have heard about in the industry are Tealium, Ensighten, TagMan and BrightTag.

      Would be great if I can get any feedback on these vendors from the group here.

      Thanks!
    • alexandre_metier
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 1, 2011
        Hi!
        You should definetely consider "Tag Commander" too :
        http://www.tagcommander.com/en/
        Regards,
        Alex

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "dhinglidesai" <dhinglidesai@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Our company is looking to implement a tag managment solution to accomodate for web analytics tags, pixels, custom parameter capture etc.
        >
        > The four major players we have heard about in the industry are Tealium, Ensighten, TagMan and BrightTag.
        >
        > Would be great if I can get any feedback on these vendors from the group here.
        >
        > Thanks!

      • David Jonah
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 2, 2011
          You might also want to consider looking at AlchemyAPI.com and getting on the
          right side of semantic tagging capability and processing at the same time.

          David Jonah
          Jonah & Associates
          506-381-0674 Cell/Text
          Twitter: Davidjonah
          Davidjonahmble SKYPE
          http://ca.linkedin.com/in/davidjonah
          Www.jonah-associates.com

        • Daniel Waisberg
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 4, 2011
            Hi,

            you might also consider siteapps.com . Here is an article summarizing the
            value of Tag Management Systems written by their founder:

            http://online-behavior.com/analytics/tag-management-systems-website-innovation

            Best.
            Daniel Waisberg

            On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 6:43 PM, dhinglidesai <dhinglidesai@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi All,
            >
            > Our company is looking to implement a tag managment solution to accomodate
            > for web analytics tags, pixels, custom parameter capture etc.
            >
            > The four major players we have heard about in the industry are Tealium,
            > Ensighten, TagMan and BrightTag.
            >
            > Would be great if I can get any feedback on these vendors from the group
            > here.
            >
            > Thanks!

          • Phillip Klien [Predicta]
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 5, 2011
              Hello -

              The tools listed in this thread are all very, VERY good. If you wish to see
              a slightly different approach, please do visit http://SiteApps.com

              Here's an article I recently wrote regarding how I think tag managements
              solutions can change how innovation works on websites:

              http://online-behavior.com/analytics/tag-management-systems-website-innovation

              DISCLOSURE: I am one of the founding partner's of Siteapps.

              Cheers,
              PK

              PREDICTA
              *Phillip Klien | Innovação* | pk@... | +55 11 4095-1800
              http://www.predicta.net | @predicta <http://www.twitter.com/predicta>

              Predicta, uma empresa em constante processo de inovação, segundo o TNW
              more <http://sig.hancock.it/click/?iid=&pid=23>

              On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 5:56 PM, alexandre_metier <
              alexandre.metier@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hi!
              > You should definetely consider "Tag Commander" too :
              > http://www.tagcommander.com/en/
              > Regards,
              > Alex
              >

              > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "dhinglidesai" <dhinglidesai@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi All,
              > >
              > > Our company is looking to implement a tag managment solution to
              > accomodate for web analytics tags, pixels, custom parameter capture etc.
              > >
              > > The four major players we have heard about in the industry are Tealium,
              > Ensighten, TagMan and BrightTag.
              > >
              > > Would be great if I can get any feedback on these vendors from the group
              > here.
              > >
              > > Thanks!

            • Bilal Adham
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 5, 2011
                Hi all,

                A free online solution that major players have implemented is Qubit, recently publicised on the New media age website.

                Have a look we are considering this as an option to hold our tags:

                http://opentag.qubitproducts.com/index.html

                Hope it helps J

                *Phillip Klien | Innovação* | pk@... <mailto:pk%40predicta.net> | +55 11 4095-1800

                alexandre.metier@... <mailto:alexandre.metier%40atinternet.com> > wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Hi!
                > You should definetely consider "Tag Commander" too :
                > http://www.tagcommander.com/en/
                > Regards,
                > Alex
                >

                > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> , "dhinglidesai" <dhinglidesai@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi All,
                > >
                > > Our company is looking to implement a tag managment solution to
                > accomodate for web analytics tags, pixels, custom parameter capture etc.
                > >
                > > The four major players we have heard about in the industry are Tealium,
                > Ensighten, TagMan and BrightTag.
                > >
                > > Would be great if I can get any feedback on these vendors from the group
                > here.
                > >
                > > Thanks!

                This email and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged and are intended solely for the use of the named recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, it is prohibited and may be unlawful to use or copy this email for any purpose or disclose its contents. The views expressed may not be the views of TTT Moneycorp Ltd and should not be relied upon. If you have received this communication in error, please notify TTT at disclaimer@... immediately by email or by telephone (+44 20 7823 7700) before deleting it. Please note that TTT Moneycorp Ltd monitors e-mails sent or received; further communication will signify your consent to this. Please be aware that emails and attachments may contain viruses. Thank you for your co-operation.

                TTT Moneycorp Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority for the conduct of designated investment business and for the provision of payment services. TTT Moneycorp Ltd is also required to maintain compliance with the Payment Card Industry Security Standards. No payment card information should be transmitted by email from or to TTT Moneycorp Ltd beyond the first six and last four digits of any payment card (credit or debit card) and the card security code CVV (3 digit number on the reverse) must never be transmitted.

                TTT Moneycorp Limited is a company registered in England under registration number 738837. Its registered office address is 2 Sloane Street, London, SW1X 9LA.

              • arun_srini_98
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 23, 2011
                  I am in the same boat as the OP and while adding more alternatives like the others have done is useful. What the OP and I are looking for is advice and help on the pros and cons of each solution from users who have either used or reviewed them.

                  Thank you.

                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Waisberg <dwaisberg@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > you might also consider siteapps.com . Here is an article summarizing the
                  > value of Tag Management Systems written by their founder:
                  >
                  > http://online-behavior.com/analytics/tag-management-systems-website-innovation
                  >
                  > Best.
                  > Daniel Waisberg
                  >
                  > On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 6:43 PM, dhinglidesai <dhinglidesai@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > Hi All,
                  > >
                  > > Our company is looking to implement a tag managment solution to accomodate
                  > > for web analytics tags, pixels, custom parameter capture etc.
                  > >
                  > > The four major players we have heard about in the industry are Tealium,
                  > > Ensighten, TagMan and BrightTag.
                  > >
                  > > Would be great if I can get any feedback on these vendors from the group
                  > > here.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks!

                • harshil
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 1 6:38 AM
                    Hi All,

                    I am engaging with some client for web analytics implementation along with tag management solution.

                    Can you please help with the following queries for the same?

                    - If we are using a tag management solution rather than regular javascript page tags method, does it add to the implementation timeframe or will it reduce the implementation time frame?
                    - Also, how long would it take for implementation of a web analytics tool using the tag management solution? (As a reference, considering that the same implementation using a javascript page tag will take 3 months)

                    Please help with these as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

                    Best Regards,
                    Harshil
                  • Stephane Hamel
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 1 10:34 AM
                      Short answer since you said "as soon as possible"! :)

                      Q) will the use of a TMS add to implementation?
                      A) From a pure implementation standpoint, adding a snippet of JavaScript code for a single web analytics solution or adding the bootstrap for a TMS will take the same time. You will also have the same amount of work to do in order to configure your web analytics tool.

                      Your very first implementation might take you a little longer because
                      a) you will need to ramp up with whichever TMS tool you choose and
                      b) you still have to put the snippet of web analytics tracking code in the TMS (or configure through the interface).

                      But...
                      a) once done, maintaining the implementation will be a lot easier and you will save time
                      b) if you deploy multiple tags you will reap the benefits of a TMS by making it much more easy & efficient to deploy them

                      Q) how long would it take for implementation?
                      A) if your scheme of reference is 3 months, I would add at least 20% contingency. On top of the above comment about learning the TMS, don't forget you are adding a new player in the conversation. If you had issues getting your web dev team to add those JS tags you will still have the same challenge getting the TMS tags there... Depending on the client, you might also have to validate with legal and IT for the use of cookies, compliancy and such

                      Hope that helps!

                      Stephane Hamel
                      Director, Strategic Services
                      CardinalPath.com

                      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "harshil" <harshilshah_2004@...> wrote:

                      > Hi All,
                      >
                      > I am engaging with some client for web analytics implementation along with tag management solution.
                      >
                      > Can you please help with the following queries for the same?
                      >
                      > - If we are using a tag management solution rather than regular javascript page tags method, does it add to the implementation timeframe or will it reduce the implementation time frame?
                      > - Also, how long would it take for implementation of a web analytics tool using the tag management solution? (As a reference, considering that the same implementation using a javascript page tag will take 3 months)
                      >
                      > Please help with these as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.
                      >
                      > Best Regards,
                      > Harshil

                    • Bill Bruno
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 1 8:53 PM
                        I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Stephane here. My team has done over 40 TMS implementations for enterprise customers�primarily focused on Ensighten and GTM.

                        The use of a TMS shortens the runway in two areas:

                        1. Implementation Time
                        2. Maturity

                        Implementation Time:

                        If you're looking at a standard deployment of 3 months without a TMS for 1 analytics vendor, you're most likely looking at roughly 4-5 weeks to deploy that same vendor within a TMS. The time it takes to deploy an enterprise TMS (one line of code referencing a library) literally takes minutes. However, we all know that there will be unit testing done by your IT team to ensure this passes all tests..most likely in a DEV environment. So, you're most likely looking at 3-5 days to get the TMS code deployed. However, you don't need to have that code deployed to begin the implementation of the analytics vendor within your TMS. In fact, you can just set up a proxy to deploy that code on your browser only to begin your testing. If you're deploying the base code�that's done in an hour (I'm exaggerating this too�we've done it in minutes). The more advanced deployments (events, link tracking, etc.) take a little finesse from a strategy standpoint such that your implementation is scalable down the road. 4-5 weeks would be on the high end. My team has done full deployments in less than that for one analytics vendor. Pixel tags (DART, etc.) are literally done in minutes.

                        So, in no way would you see an extended implementation with the introduction of a TMS. In fact, there has been quite a bit of research done in the space to back up what I'm saying.

                        Maturity

                        Because you're not spending all of your time on the implementation (and I've seen a non-TMS implementation take over a year due to IT conflicts), you can get actionable data throughout your organization much more quickly. Also, data integration becomes much simpler since you can connect client-side technologies via your TMS deployment. As a result, we've seen an incredible growth in the maturity of analytics programs for clients that have a TMS versus those that don't.

                        This isn't a fad. There aren't smoke and mirrors. It works�and when done right, by the right organization, you'll reap the benefits immediately.

                        Feel free to reach out directly with any questions at all.

                        Bill Bruno
                        CEO | Stratigent
                        (o) 630.658.2215 (c) 773.203.6596 (f) 630.658.2201
                        bill.bruno@...<mailto:bill.bruno@...>

                        [stratigent banner]<http://www.stratigent.com/>

                        Copyright Stratigent, LLC, all rights reserved. This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipients, and contain confidential and proprietary information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution of this email message or its attachments is prohibited.

                        From: Stephane Hamel <shamel67@...<mailto:shamel67@...>>
                        Date: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 12:34 PM
                        To: "webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics@yahoogroups.com>" <webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics@yahoogroups.com>>
                        Subject: [webanalytics] Re: Tag Management Solution

                        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, "harshil" <harshilshah_2004@...> wrote:

                        > Hi All,
                        >
                        > I am engaging with some client for web analytics implementation along with tag management solution.
                        >
                        > Can you please help with the following queries for the same?
                        >
                        > - If we are using a tag management solution rather than regular javascript page tags method, does it add to the implementation timeframe or will it reduce the implementation time frame?
                        > - Also, how long would it take for implementation of a web analytics tool using the tag management solution? (As a reference, considering that the same implementation using a javascript page tag will take 3 months)
                        >
                        > Please help with these as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.
                        >
                        > Best Regards,
                        > Harshil

                      • harshil
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 1 10:41 PM
                          Thanks a lot Stephane for the quick response. This surely would be a lot helpful.

                          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Stephane Hamel" <shamel67@...> wrote:

                          > Short answer since you said "as soon as possible"! :)
                          >
                          > Q) will the use of a TMS add to implementation?
                          > A) From a pure implementation standpoint, adding a snippet of JavaScript code for a single web analytics solution or adding the bootstrap for a TMS will take the same time. You will also have the same amount of work to do in order to configure your web analytics tool.
                          >
                          > Your very first implementation might take you a little longer because
                          > a) you will need to ramp up with whichever TMS tool you choose and
                          > b) you still have to put the snippet of web analytics tracking code in the TMS (or configure through the interface).
                          >
                          > But...
                          > a) once done, maintaining the implementation will be a lot easier and you will save time
                          > b) if you deploy multiple tags you will reap the benefits of a TMS by making it much more easy & efficient to deploy them
                          >
                          > Q) how long would it take for implementation?
                          > A) if your scheme of reference is 3 months, I would add at least 20% contingency. On top of the above comment about learning the TMS, don't forget you are adding a new player in the conversation. If you had issues getting your web dev team to add those JS tags you will still have the same challenge getting the TMS tags there... Depending on the client, you might also have to validate with legal and IT for the use of cookies, compliancy and such
                          >
                          > Hope that helps!
                          >
                          > Stephane Hamel
                          > Director, Strategic Services
                          > CardinalPath.com
                          >
                          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "harshil" <harshilshah_2004@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi All,
                          > >
                          > > I am engaging with some client for web analytics implementation along with tag management solution.
                          > >
                          > > Can you please help with the following queries for the same?
                          > >
                          > > - If we are using a tag management solution rather than regular javascript page tags method, does it add to the implementation timeframe or will it reduce the implementation time frame?
                          > > - Also, how long would it take for implementation of a web analytics tool using the tag management solution? (As a reference, considering that the same implementation using a javascript page tag will take 3 months)
                          > >
                          > > Please help with these as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.
                          > >
                          > > Best Regards,
                          > > Harshil

                        • Birger Friedrichs
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 1 11:49 PM
                            Good morning,

                            Though I work for DC Storm (a Tag Management and service provider) and
                            I'm probably biased I would like to share my experience working with
                            clients in this space.

                            > If we are using a tag management solution rather than regular
                            > javascript page tags method, does it add to the implementation
                            > timeframe or will it reduce the implementation time frame?

                            In the first instance you will have to add another piece of script to
                            your pages which will add the container tag to your site. Depending on
                            your flexibility and resources this might be quick or takes some more time.

                            But this gives you the ability to add further tags and scripts to the
                            container and fire them based on your own rules.
                            If the provider has already pre-built templates for your third party
                            tags it will be just about creating a serve rule and passing the
                            mandatory (and optional) variables values to the tag.

                            I normally advise clients to put some more thoughts into the implementation.
                            A tag management system in general is a 'dumb' tool. It can only pass
                            information to other tags or scripts that you provide to it or that the
                            tms can extract from the URL or the page.

                            Therefore try to think pre-implementation about which information is
                            important for you to pass on to third party tags or which is important
                            for you for setting up serve rules. This could be (depending on page type):
                            - page type/category
                            - product id
                            - product name
                            - product price
                            - category id
                            - category name
                            - sub category
                            - category path/breadcrumb
                            - number of products
                            - tax value
                            - shipping cost
                            - list of products IDs (e.g. category page or basket pages)
                            - list of product names
                            - list of category ids
                            - list of category names
                            - list of product prices
                            - search term
                            - search results
                            etc.

                            Of course it's possible to scrape these information from the page source
                            or from the URL and we do this for clients but it's much more easier for
                            you if you provide this kind of structured data to the tms by using a
                            data layer (or something similar). E.g.:

                            https://knowledge.dc-storm.com/display/CTKC/Data+Layer

                            Especially re-targeting tags can be pretty sophisticated and would like
                            to collect a lot of information on your various pages (product page,
                            category page, search result page, basket page, confirmation page).

                            Having everything available in something like a data layer makes it a
                            lot more easier to configure your third party tags and to pass the
                            information to these tags.

                            So to answer your initial question it depends. :) If you put some more
                            thought and time during implementation you can save a lot of time
                            afterwards.

                            > Also, how long would it take for implementation of a web analytics
                            > tool using the tag management solution? (As a reference, considering
                            > that the same implementation using a javascript page tag will take 3
                            > months)

                            This really depends on the tag. A simple Google Analytics tag is
                            probably rolled out in a few hours (including testing and QA).

                            More sophisticated implementations can take much more time. Especially
                            if you have to pass a lot of custom information to your web analytics
                            tool on the various page types. Then you have to think about which
                            information has to be passed to the tag and on which pages and where do
                            you get the information from.

                            Our clients normally already have a web analytics tool implemented. So
                            they are more after adding additional tags for their marketing campaigns
                            (re-targeting tags, affiliate tags, price comparison sites etc.).

                            If you only want to add a web analytics tag to your site, it might not
                            worth to use a tag management system.
                            But if you plan to deploy more tags to your site, I agree with Bill and
                            it will definitely pay off the more tags you deploy.

                            DC Storm provides a professional and free tag management tool.
                            So feel free to register and give it a try to play with it:

                            http://tagmanager.dc-storm.com/en-us/

                            Happy to hear experiences and to learn from others and especially also
                            the client side as the vendor and service provider space is often a bit
                            biased: Everything's great!

                            Regards,
                            Birger

                          • Stephane Hamel
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 2 5:44 AM
                              I wouldn't say we are in "disagreement" my friend - we're constructing on each other comments with constructive feedback :)

                              I guess my point is we've heard "The time it takes to deploy an enterprise TMS (one line of code referencing a library) literally takes minutes" many times in the past... yet deploying the simplest of tag on every single page of a site (let alone a complex multi-site, sub-domain, 3rd party network of sites) is often a long and tedious process because of resistance, long dev cycles (especially anything transactional or hooked to back office), legal, internal policies, political struggles, etc. Oh yes, once you have overcome all of that it's takes a few minutes :)

                              The thought process behind the business requirements is essentially the same (or should be...). The TMS won't magically uncover business needs and all the intricacies of the implementation constraints - people will. The time it takes to paste or configure in the TMS will certainly be shorter. And from that point on, any new tag you have to deploy and any tweak to your tags or configuration will be a lot faster & easier. That's a HUGE benefit of TMSs.

                              And now we reach the point of maturity. If organizations could reach that level of discipline and maturity with or without a TMS the world would be a better place... The advent of TMSs raised the awareness of the organization and the whole cycle becomes more important, more critical, more strategic. That's the other HUGE benefit of TMSs.

                              Keep the conversation going, curious to hear comments from other agencies, vendors and people from the client side. I would ask a simple question: "the first time you deployed the TMS - how was it?" This is a very interesting thread considering I'm working on a vendor benchmark (results will be available publicly).

                              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Bill Bruno <bill.bruno@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > Director, Strategic Services
                              > CardinalPath.com
                              >
                              > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, "harshil" <harshilshah_2004@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi All,
                              > >
                              > > I am engaging with some client for web analytics implementation along with tag management solution.
                              > >
                              > > Can you please help with the following queries for the same?
                              > >
                              > > - If we are using a tag management solution rather than regular javascript page tags method, does it add to the implementation timeframe or will it reduce the implementation time frame?
                              > > - Also, how long would it take for implementation of a web analytics tool using the tag management solution? (As a reference, considering that the same implementation using a javascript page tag will take 3 months)
                              > >
                              > > Please help with these as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

                            • Judah Phillips
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 2 10:03 AM
                                Bill and Stephane,

                                Nice answers and useful information. But what I want to know is TMS hard,
                                easy, or complex or does "it depend'? :-) Ha.

                                Have a great day,
                                Judah

                              • srr3306
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 2 11:01 AM
                                  I tend to get a little frustrated when I read these discussions around tag management implementations because they tend to solely emphasize the productivity and flexibility of IT-free deployments with little or no hardcoding on the pages. While that is all true, what it omits is that it often transfers other burdens to the business side of the house that they are ill prepared for. Stephane started to touch on it. Tags are just software. Event capture just another feature/function of the site. All software development requires requirements definition, design, testing, deployment, and governance in addition to coding and debugging. The governance part is particulatly important as it relates to display ad and targeting/retargetng tags. IT shops are practiced at this. Web analysts and their management are not as a rule. Do not expect a TMS to address these issues for, although they can help in many ways.

                                  Steve Robinson

                                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Stephane Hamel" <shamel67@...> wrote:

                                  > I wouldn't say we are in "disagreement" my friend - we're constructing on each other comments with constructive feedback :)
                                  >
                                  > I guess my point is we've heard "The time it takes to deploy an enterprise TMS (one line of code referencing a library) literally takes minutes" many times in the past... yet deploying the simplest of tag on every single page of a site (let alone a complex multi-site, sub-domain, 3rd party network of sites) is often a long and tedious process because of resistance, long dev cycles (especially anything transactional or hooked to back office), legal, internal policies, political struggles, etc. Oh yes, once you have overcome all of that it's takes a few minutes :)
                                  >
                                  > The thought process behind the business requirements is essentially the same (or should be...). The TMS won't magically uncover business needs and all the intricacies of the implementation constraints - people will. The time it takes to paste or configure in the TMS will certainly be shorter. And from that point on, any new tag you have to deploy and any tweak to your tags or configuration will be a lot faster & easier. That's a HUGE benefit of TMSs.
                                  >
                                  > And now we reach the point of maturity. If organizations could reach that level of discipline and maturity with or without a TMS the world would be a better place... The advent of TMSs raised the awareness of the organization and the whole cycle becomes more important, more critical, more strategic. That's the other HUGE benefit of TMSs.
                                  >
                                  > Keep the conversation going, curious to hear comments from other agencies, vendors and people from the client side. I would ask a simple question: "the first time you deployed the TMS - how was it?" This is a very interesting thread considering I'm working on a vendor benchmark (results will be available publicly).
                                  >
                                  > Stephane Hamel
                                  > Director, Strategic Services
                                  > CardinalPath.com

                                • Bill Bruno
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 2 12:15 PM
                                    I'm not seeing the same complications that you mention, and the majority of the 40+ deployments we have done have been for large clients with complex sites. Many of these clients also have an international presence as well.

                                    My team manages the entire implementation/ongoing maintenance of the TMS for our clients, including rule development for all tags, so perhaps that is why we are having different experiences? We are able to re-use a lot of prior work with slight modifications for our clients and have compiled an entire strategic framework for TMS deployments broken out by vendor type. This also takes into account the current state and desired future state for technology interaction for each client.

                                    I also wanted to touch on a few of the "roadblocks" you mentioned:

                                    * Resistance - We actually have not seen resistance once a TMS has been selected (typically via a POC). In fact, in the majority of cases, the IT teams for our clients are thrilled that they don't have to manage analytics tags anymore the old fashioned way.

                                    * Long Dev Cycles - Strategically, you can avoid this by creating a process and governance for rules and including the Dev, Stage, Prod environments on the client side.

                                    * Legal, Politics, etc. - After a POC, these all go away and we can get to work. Time to deployment should not factor in the "vendor selection" phase. That simply doesn't make sense. Procurement is procurement, and we all know how they can be. Time to deployment should be from clearance to use through completion of the work.

                                    Honestly, I think you are making it sound way more complicated than this actually is. In fact, rarely did the old-fashioned way of tagging actually give the client 100% fulfillment of their requirements because of IT shortcuts due to deadlines, etc. With a TMS, and the right team leading a strategic implementation, you can ensure that 100% of the business requirements are met. TMS requires expertise, and as such, those experts can ensure it gets done right the first time.

                                    There is nothing worse than tagging the old-fashioned way and having to wait months for changes/fixes. That all goes away with TMS.

                                    Bill Bruno
                                    CEO | Stratigent
                                    (o) 630.658.2215 (c) 773.203.6596 (f) 773.203.6596

                                    --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, Bill Bruno <bill.bruno@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                    > CardinalPath.com
                                    >
                                    > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, "harshil" <harshilshah_2004@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hi All,
                                    > >
                                    > > I am engaging with some client for web analytics implementation along with tag management solution.
                                    > >
                                    > > Can you please help with the following queries for the same?
                                    > >
                                    > > - If we are using a tag management solution rather than regular javascript page tags method, does it add to the implementation timeframe or will it reduce the implementation time frame?
                                    > > - Also, how long would it take for implementation of a web analytics tool using the tag management solution? (As a reference, considering that the same implementation using a javascript page tag will take 3 months)
                                    > >
                                    > > Please help with these as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

                                  • Joe Brown
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 2 1:00 PM
                                      In my experience IT shops are not experienced with "tags". They simply throw them up when directed. Another nice advantage with TMS is the ability to easily pilot new technologies to see if they produce the roi the sales folks always boast about. A 1-2 month trial becomes very easy to run when using a TMS.

                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                      On 02 May,2013, at 2:01 PM, "srr3306" <srr3306@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                      > >
                                      > > And now we reach the point of maturity. If organizations could reach that level of discipline and maturity with or without a TMS the world would be a better place... The advent of TMSs raised the awareness of the organization and the whole cycle becomes more important, more critical, more strategic. That's the other HUGE benefit of TMSs.
                                      > >
                                      > > Keep the conversation going, curious to hear comments from other agencies, vendors and people from the client side. I would ask a simple question: "the first time you deployed the TMS - how was it?" This is a very interesting thread considering I'm working on a vendor benchmark (results will be available publicly).

                                    • Stephane Hamel
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 2 4:22 PM
                                        Bill, I trust you have a very good experience of TMSs given the close historical ties between Stratigent and Ensighten. Most of the time agencies such as Stratigent or Cardinal Path come into play once the business decision has been made to go with a TMS. This is the brighter side... but I have also seen practitioners and managers of analytics who had to convince IT, legal and others of the importance of a TMS *before* a partner comes into play. I think we're essentially agreeing - your comments about resistance, dev cycles, legal, procurement are largely unrelated to technology and TMSs themselves, they are governance and best-practice related. At the end of the day, one thing is sure: nobody should deploy analytics, ad networks and other tags manually like in the "old days". A TMS is a must.

                                      • Stephane Hamel
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 2 4:23 PM
                                          Hey Judah!
                                          What about: TMSs simplifies a complex issue, but does not make it magical :)

                                          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Judah Phillips <judahphillips@...> wrote:

                                          > Bill and Stephane,
                                          >
                                          > Nice answers and useful information. But what I want to know is TMS hard,
                                          > easy, or complex or does "it depend'? :-) Ha.
                                          >
                                          > Have a great day,
                                          > Judah

                                        • harshil
                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 3 2:52 AM
                                            Thanks Bill. That adds more to the understanding.

                                          • joebull714
                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 3 6:24 AM
                                              I work at a fortune 250 Financial Services company that deployed a TMS about 2 years ago. It was relatively easy to get IT Security on board as well as Legal. However the IT Dev teams have been skeptical as the TMS tool allows a "business" person to inject code into our websites and mobile applications. Now that we have the TMS in place it has allowed us to easily introduce a VOC feedback tool pretty easily onto our sites. We still had to go through the legal, compliance, IT security hurdles first though.

                                              IMHO the TMS we have in place has made my teams life much easier and put us in greater control of our future by drastically reducing the reliance on IT to assist us with managing and configuring our tags. This is because IT at the company I work for has a very long release cycle and my requests were always prioritized very low by IT.

                                            • rshumpe
                                              Message 22 of 26 , May 3 7:19 AM
                                                I have been a part of over 50 TMS implementations using all of the vendors you listed below and others. A TMS is not a magic potion that will instantly fix bad markup on your site and make everything happen for you automatically.

                                                What is should do is make things easier and faster for you to handle. Also if a TMS vendor tells you they will eliminate the need for any javascript skills on your team they are lying.

                                                Full Disclosure: After spending time working on the systems you listed I decided to work for the TMS system that had provided for my projects & clients the best experience with is Satellite TMS by Search Discovery.

                                                You can reach me at rudi @ searchdiscovery.com or check out our blog for a wealth of information on our system.

                                                http://www.searchdiscovery.com/satellite/blog/

                                                -Rudi
                                                @RudiShumpert on Twitter.

                                                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "dhinglidesai" <dhinglidesai@...> wrote:

                                                > Hi All,
                                                >
                                                > Our company is looking to implement a tag managment solution to accomodate for web analytics tags, pixels, custom parameter capture etc.
                                                >
                                                > The four major players we have heard about in the industry are Tealium, Ensighten, TagMan and BrightTag.
                                                >
                                                > Would be great if I can get any feedback on these vendors from the group here.
                                                >
                                                > Thanks!

                                              • harshil
                                                Message 23 of 26 , May 7 2:16 AM
                                                  Hi All,

                                                  Thanks for the help on this.

                                                  I have one more query on the same.

                                                  During the deployment of the tag management solution and also of the tags on the web pages, what kind of role and what activities is required from the client? What kind of assistance/clarifications/understanding is required from the client side?

                                                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "harshil" <harshilshah_2004@...> wrote:

                                                  > Hi All,
                                                  >
                                                  > I am engaging with some client for web analytics implementation along with tag management solution.
                                                  >
                                                  > Can you please help with the following queries for the same?
                                                  >
                                                  > - If we are using a tag management solution rather than regular javascript page tags method, does it add to the implementation timeframe or will it reduce the implementation time frame?
                                                  > - Also, how long would it take for implementation of a web analytics tool using the tag management solution? (As a reference, considering that the same implementation using a javascript page tag will take 3 months)
                                                  >
                                                  > Please help with these as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.
                                                  >
                                                  > Best Regards,
                                                  > Harshil

                                                • Stephane Hamel
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , May 7 5:00 AM
                                                    Given the nature of the conversation that spurred from this thread I'd rather answer privately to your questions. Feel free to reach me at shamel...cardinalpath.com, Twitter @SHamelCP or visit http://cardinalpath.com

                                                    --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "harshil" <harshilshah_2004@...> wrote:

                                                    > Hi All,
                                                    >
                                                    > Thanks for the help on this.
                                                    >
                                                    > I have one more query on the same.
                                                    >
                                                    > During the deployment of the tag management solution and also of the tags on the web pages, what kind of role and what activities is required from the client? What kind of assistance/clarifications/understanding is required from the client side?
                                                    >
                                                    > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "harshil" <harshilshah_2004@> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Hi All,
                                                    > >
                                                    > > I am engaging with some client for web analytics implementation along with tag management solution.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Can you please help with the following queries for the same?
                                                    > >
                                                    > > - If we are using a tag management solution rather than regular javascript page tags method, does it add to the implementation timeframe or will it reduce the implementation time frame?
                                                    > > - Also, how long would it take for implementation of a web analytics tool using the tag management solution? (As a reference, considering that the same implementation using a javascript page tag will take 3 months)
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Please help with these as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Best Regards,
                                                    > > Harshil

                                                  • Bill Bruno
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , May 7 8:46 AM
                                                      Hi Harshil,

                                                      I'm happy to discuss in further detail directly...but here are some points to think about. Hopefully this helps!

                                                      Just like it is unfair to call Tag Management "easy," it is also unfair to have high expectations that the client will be able to provide everything a firm like mine needs in order to complete a successful implementation (with or without TMS). A successful implementation, in our eyes, would be one that satisfies not only all of the business requirements (or as many as can be satisfied with the existing toolset), but one that also gets all of the right data to the right people at the right time. If there are gaps, it is our job to identify those gaps as well and provide recommendations on how to fill those gaps down the road. Perhaps even go so far as to help negotiate with vendors on behalf of the client to fill those gaps when ready.

                                                      When moving forward with a deployment (with or without TMS), the following occurs (high-level):

                                                      * Audit of existing implementation (if exists)

                                                      o Client provides access to the necessary tools (Admin level)

                                                      * Business requirements gathering meetings

                                                      o Client identifies, with my team's help, who the right stakeholders are to get a representative understand of the business needs

                                                      o These meetings are "hand holding" meetings where my team would walk through the process and ensure that any education gaps are explained to all involved

                                                      * Solution Design

                                                      o No client involvement here, except when it comes to sign off on the documentation

                                                      * Tagging Implementation

                                                      o With TMS: Only thing IT has to do is get the TMS code out there in the header, and then work with my team to Q/A all of the rules being created

                                                      o Without TMS: Client IT team implements all of the tagging provided and my team plays the Q/A support role

                                                      * UI Configuation

                                                      o No client involvement

                                                      * Walkthrough/Knowledge Transfer/Training

                                                      o Client stakeholders are involved

                                                      I hope that helps. I left out quite a bit from the process, but this should give you a general understand of client involvement.

                                                      -Bill

                                                      Bill Bruno
                                                      CEO | Stratigent
                                                      (o) 630.658.2215 (c) 773.203.6596 (f) 773.203.6596
                                                      bill.bruno@...<mailto:bill.bruno@...>

                                                      [stratigent banner]<http://www.stratigent.com/>

                                                      Copyright Stratigent, LLC, all rights reserved. This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipients, and contain confidential and proprietary information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution of this email message or its attachments is prohibited.

                                                      During the deployment of the tag management solution and also of the tags on the web pages, what kind of role and what activities is required from the client? What kind of assistance/clarifications/understanding is required from the client side?

                                                      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, "harshil" <harshilshah_2004@...> wrote:

                                                      > Hi All,
                                                      >
                                                      > I am engaging with some client for web analytics implementation along with tag management solution.
                                                      >
                                                      > Can you please help with the following queries for the same?
                                                      >
                                                      > - If we are using a tag management solution rather than regular javascript page tags method, does it add to the implementation timeframe or will it reduce the implementation time frame?
                                                      > - Also, how long would it take for implementation of a web analytics tool using the tag management solution? (As a reference, considering that the same implementation using a javascript page tag will take 3 months)
                                                      >
                                                      > Please help with these as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.
                                                      >
                                                      > Best Regards,
                                                      > Harshil

                                                    • harshil
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , May 12 10:31 AM
                                                        Thank you for your responses.

                                                        I have an additional query to this.

                                                        If the website webpages have multiple tags for different services, can all these tags be integrated into the Tag Management System (Universal tag)?

                                                        In case there are outliers, how can the same be handled?

                                                        Thanks in advance.

                                                        Best Regards,
                                                        Harshil