Hitwise with Web Analytics

  • jason6346
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 29, 2011
      Hi all,

      We're currently in exploring the benefits of Hitwise within our organisation and whilst we are aware it is a powerful piece of software which offers lots of data on competitors, marketshare, industy seasonalities, etc, we are struggling to find how we would use this along side an analytics tool.

      I'm wondering if anyone has or is currently using it and how people/organisations are using it. Are you simply treating it as two separate entities i.e web analytics and then competitor intelligence, or are you somehow intergrating to two. Furthermore what actions have you been able to make from your findings.

      I know and heard it is extremely useful once you know how to use, but after i brief tour on what it does, i must be honest to say i was left with a wow thats great to know, but now what?...feeling?

      Thanks

      Jason
    • Penelope
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2011
        Hi Jason,

        As you said Hitwise helps you understand your position in the market place from many aspects.
        I mainly use their search intelligence feature. There are many things you can act on with that.
        -There is the search variations report which gives you all the popular combinations for a particular search term. What you can do with that is unveil search terms you did not think of before and that may be worth targeting.
        -You can also understand your share of the search market for a particular search term, with that you can decide on whether you want to acquire a bigger share of the market or not, it depends on how important you feel this search term is to your business.
        -You can take a look at the paid and organic split for a particular search term and compare your split with your competitors, if you find out that you are getting most of the traffic from this search term from paid search as opposed to organic and that your competitors are getting most of their traffic from organic, again you can revise your paid search strategy for this particular search term, but again you still may want to continue spending on it as this search term may be a high converting search term.

        I hope that helps

        Thanks

        Penelope
        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jason6346" <darkus1@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > We're currently in exploring the benefits of Hitwise within our organisation and whilst we are aware it is a powerful piece of software which offers lots of data on competitors, marketshare, industy seasonalities, etc, we are struggling to find how we would use this along side an analytics tool.
        >
        > I'm wondering if anyone has or is currently using it and how people/organisations are using it. Are you simply treating it as two separate entities i.e web analytics and then competitor intelligence, or are you somehow intergrating to two. Furthermore what actions have you been able to make from your findings.
        >
        > I know and heard it is extremely useful once you know how to use, but after i brief tour on what it does, i must be honest to say i was left with a wow thats great to know, but now what?...feeling?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Jason

      • MadisonMetrics
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2011
          You may also want to think of Hitwise as a tool that helps to measure placements that you would otherwise have no visibility into, in other words things that would go unobserved or impossible to quantify without a pixel placement of some kind. This may also help you understand the earned impact of your site placements, allowing you to take additional credits (quantify lift) for your work.

          Hitwise also maintains a relationship with SiteCatalyst (possibly others) where the data can be integrated into a reporting suite. This give you a kind of single source view and may be the bridge you are looking for. Put your negotiating hat on and good luck.

          The syndicated reports of Hitwise and similarly positioned products are indeed good, but for my money there are three functions we use them for; business development as it provides us with early and often sobering insights into competitive strategies. Second, the ample use of custom panels where you may define your own tailored attributes to understand behavioral groups (segment the custom reports you already see in Hitwise)

          And finally and perhaps not well documented, Hitwise has custom data pulls that provide (in many instances) the same level of granularity as a report from Webtrends, Omniture, etc. The cost for doing the latter is incremental, but extremely worth it. Negotiate the price for these custom pulls upfront. Do yourself a favor, ask Hitwise to pull one of these custom reports on your own properties. This may help you decide how reliable they are.

          These hybrid panel providers are indeed powerful, but as always there is a price for deep insight. Kick the tires and ask plenty of questions.

          Ross J
          VP of Analytics & Data Innovation

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jun 30, 2011, at 4:14 AM, "Penelope" <penelope.bellegarde@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jason,
          >
          > As you said Hitwise helps you understand your position in the market place from many aspects.
          > I mainly use their search intelligence feature. There are many things you can act on with that.
          > -There is the search variations report which gives you all the popular combinations for a particular search term. What you can do with that is unveil search terms you did not think of before and that may be worth targeting.
          > -You can also understand your share of the search market for a particular search term, with that you can decide on whether you want to acquire a bigger share of the market or not, it depends on how important you feel this search term is to your business.
          > -You can take a look at the paid and organic split for a particular search term and compare your split with your competitors, if you find out that you are getting most of the traffic from this search term from paid search as opposed to organic and that your competitors are getting most of their traffic from organic, again you can revise your paid search strategy for this particular search term, but again you still may want to continue spending on it as this search term may be a high converting search term.
          >
          > I hope that helps
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Penelope
          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jason6346" <darkus1@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > We're currently in exploring the benefits of Hitwise within our organisation and whilst we are aware it is a powerful piece of software which offers lots of data on competitors, marketshare, industy seasonalities, etc, we are struggling to find how we would use this along side an analytics tool.
          > >
          > > I'm wondering if anyone has or is currently using it and how people/organisations are using it. Are you simply treating it as two separate entities i.e web analytics and then competitor intelligence, or are you somehow intergrating to two. Furthermore what actions have you been able to make from your findings.
          > >
          > > I know and heard it is extremely useful once you know how to use, but after i brief tour on what it does, i must be honest to say i was left with a wow thats great to know, but now what?...feeling?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Jason

        • Vivek Pandey
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 30, 2011
            We have just started using Hitwise. We mostly find it interesting from a
            search intelligence perspective -basically keywords that drive traffic to
            competitor's websites etc. That is good actionable insights for us.

            As for seasonality and industry trends, I guess any site measurement 3rd
            party tool will give that to you. That includes Comscore, Compete etc.

            As for integrating with web analytics data, I think they complement each
            other to provide you with market scenario. Don't think integrating the two
            should be a requirement.

            V.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2011
              Hi Jason,

              Although we do not use Hitwise in our company (purely for financial reasons), they did a demo for us and I was very impressed by its capabilities. I see Hitwise complimenting web analytics by helping to answer why.

              What I gained from the demo was insight into demographics of our main website visitors. Armed with this information I looked at our pages in terms of layout/design, and content with a view to understand why the bounce rate might be high on some pages and see what changes I could recommend.

              We also got to see what other sites visitors looked at before and after visiting our site. This gave me insight into people who are attracted by our content/services and again helped me get more ideas of how to tweak our website copy. Keeping in mind the mantra that "Content is King". I then used web analytics to monitor what impact if any the changes made i.e. avg time on site, bounce rate, stickiness of modified landing pages etc.

              Websites need to attract new visitors, retain existing visitors and lead them down the path of converting online or offline. Different tools assist in providing insight to what's working or not working on your site and why it's working/not working. And you can then make relevant changes so as to keep your visitors engaged

              In my opinion web analytics alone does not provide you with enough actionable insight for your website. I use data from 4 different tools both online and offline when doing website reports.

              Hope this helps.

              Regards
              Gathoni