How to identify internal employees

  • demoore_ca
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2011
      Hello everyone!
      Unlike most of you, I am not a web analyst. Instead I use analytics to report upon and improve search marketing campaigns - either organic or paid. Therefore my questions may seem basic :-)

      I noticed a fairly high bounce rate on a client's site recently (we just started analyzing the stats). Turns out that it is only direct traffic that has a high bounce rate and we suspect that is internal employees, which we would like to filter out of the main profile in GA and create a separate profile for.

      Employees are spread all over the world! I was thinking we could block them via IP address as I am not confident that hostname is a reliable indicator of internal employee?

      Is there another variable we could use to filter out internals? I see so much potential if we can identify them - understand what they do on the site and then propose an intranet around those activities.

      We are also trying to understand what a prospective client looks like on the site.. so we need to do some sort of segmenting.

      Thanks!

      Darlene
    • mfeiner17
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2011
        Darlene,

        IP addresses/ranges are probably your best bet.
        Add filters for all of those addresses and exclude from the main profile. Then create a new profile where you only include the internal addresses.

        Alternatively you can use a custom variable to identify employees. This solution would require your developers to modify the GA code. When the code detects that the visitor is from one of the internal IPs then it will populate the value Employee (or something like it) in the custom variable.

        Now you'd be able to compare behaviours for employees vs all or vs non-employee to get a better understanding of visitor interaction. You can even extend this solution to other segments. For example, any visitor reaching any jobs pages could be classified as Job Seeker etc.

        This approach could help you distill your data down to real prospects. But don't go to far as you might end up with an empty prospect bucket. :-)

        Michael Feiner
        www.aepconvert.com

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "demoore_ca" <darlene@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone!
        > Unlike most of you, I am not a web analyst. Instead I use analytics to report upon and improve search marketing campaigns - either organic or paid. Therefore my questions may seem basic :-)
        >
        > I noticed a fairly high bounce rate on a client's site recently (we just started analyzing the stats). Turns out that it is only direct traffic that has a high bounce rate and we suspect that is internal employees, which we would like to filter out of the main profile in GA and create a separate profile for.
        >
        > Employees are spread all over the world! I was thinking we could block them via IP address as I am not confident that hostname is a reliable indicator of internal employee?
        >
        > Is there another variable we could use to filter out internals? I see so much potential if we can identify them - understand what they do on the site and then propose an intranet around those activities.
        >
        > We are also trying to understand what a prospective client looks like on the site.. so we need to do some sort of segmenting.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Darlene

      • Darlene Moore
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2011
          Thank you!

          Removing or identifying employees is our first segmentation so our bucket
          should not be empty for a bit J