Data migration from one analytics tool to another

  • tamyp918
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2011
      Hello all,
      My company has decided to migrate HBX to another web analytics tool. Since we have been using HBX for almost 8 years now, what is the most efficient way to migrate historical data to a database?

      Thanks ahead.
      YP
    • KevinR
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 29, 2011
        Is web analytics data from 8 years ago really that helpful today? I would just grab the monthly totals from the top level metrics and stick those in a spreadsheet. Your new vendor should have the ability to take the last year or so and migrate it into their tool.

        Kevin Rogers
        http://webanalyticsland.com

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "tamyp918" <tamyp918@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        > My company has decided to migrate HBX to another web analytics tool. Since we have been using HBX for almost 8 years now, what is the most efficient way to migrate historical data to a database?
        >
        > Thanks ahead.
        > YP

      • abehnam
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 29, 2011
          I agree with Kevin that you're not going to get much value getting the detailed data from 8 years ago.
          For the high-level metrics that you need for trending purposes (page views, visits, visitors, etc.), you can use either HBX Report Builder (if you have access to it) or simply download the data from the HBX interface. It should allow you to download the trended data in CSV format.

          Ali Behnam, Tealium
          www.tealium.com

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "KevinR" <kevin.rogers@...> wrote:

          > Is web analytics data from 8 years ago really that helpful today? I would just grab the monthly totals from the top level metrics and stick those in a spreadsheet. Your new vendor should have the ability to take the last year or so and migrate it into their tool.
          >
          > Kevin Rogers
          > http://webanalyticsland.com
          >

          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "tamyp918" <tamyp918@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello all,
          > > My company has decided to migrate HBX to another web analytics tool. Since we have been using HBX for almost 8 years now, what is the most efficient way to migrate historical data to a database?
          > >
          > > Thanks ahead.
          > > YP

        • michelehinojosa
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 30, 2011
            Have you spoken to the vendor you are migrating to? Different vendors have different options. Obviously getting high level data into Excel and uploading is possible but some may have streamlined ways to make this a little less painful and/or a little more automated.

            You're also probably not going to be able to migrate everything - it won't necessarily map, even if your new vendor would let you. Make sure you take the time to talk to stakeholders to make sure you salvage the essentials and don't miss something.

            MKH