Re: [webanalytics] Re: Omniture reporting whacky facebook "like" button referral numbers

  • Michael Anderson
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2011
      I think it's highly unlikely the Google Crawler is doing it, and the JS would have a hard time keeping track of the traffic from a crawler versus a standard user...

      It's more likely the facebook like button is created in an iframe and your web development team has included the SiteCatalyst tracking in that iframe (which you do not want). As a result the container page is loading a separate page which is tracking a referrer of facebook every time. It may be that Google Analytics is not included in the iframe which is why it doesn't exhibit the problem.

      I'm not sure what the Omniture plugin would do other than not send referrer traffic from a certain Facebook path, but that doesn't sound like a good solution to me. If the Facebook path changes, the plugin has to be modified, redeployed and re-tested, which isn't what you want either.

      If you send me a URL, it will take me a minute or two to validate my theory, or give you insight into the actual problem if I'm not correct...

      --Mike

      Mike Anderson
      Co-Founder at Tealium

      Address: 12526 High Bluff Drive, Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92130
      gTalk and Skype: tealium.mike || Twitter: @tealium
      Office: 858.367.5033 || Mobile: 760.716.5776

      Copyright Tealium, Inc. 2011, all rights reserved. This email message, and any attachments hereto, are for the sole use of the intended recipients, and contain confidential and proprietary information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution of this email message or its attachments is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.