Marketing Charts - Analytics for SEO, ROI

  • greg_b_moore
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2011
      Hi all,

      New blog post: Marketing Charts - The ROI From SEO.

      http://analyticsexamples.blogspot.com/2011/02/marketing-chart-that-demonstrates-roi.html

      Greg Moore
      San Francisco
    • Craig Sullivan
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 27, 2011
        Greg,

        Hi and an interesting article. Almost two years into SEO work and I totally
        agree that many people forget to focus on what drives conversion, at the *best
        value for money*.

        I call this the 'One night stand' effect of marketing.

        I would be cautious about saying you've defined a way to measure ROI though
        - I can't see that coming through.

        My take on this is that you can work out ROI, if you split keywords into two
        groups for periodic analysis:

        Those that you got a ranking movement for.
        Those that didn't move at all.

        The difference in traffic and conversions between these two groups,
        represents the lift in traffic solely from moving ranking position, and not
        other factors (like advertising, PPC etc.).

        If my conversion traffic for 'Windscreen repair' doubles, is it down to the
        TV ad or the SEO work I'm doing? Well, the other terms also go up from the
        TV advertising by about half the amount - the difference is from my big
        shift in ranking position on the page, not other factors. If you have
        enough terms that are moving and a large enough sample, you get a good
        indication of the value of the SE optiimisation.

        This is a decent way to calculate the ROI of SEO and I can tell you, it is
        worth every penny.

        C.

        --
        Craig Sullivan