Google Analytics and Ecommerce Referral Source

  • demoore_ca
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2010
      Hello all!
      I have been asked to do SEO on a client's website. In order to get an idea of the keywords to target for sales rather than just traffic I reviewed the client's GA as I knew that they had done some PPC.
      I found a couple of conversions in GA but when I looked at the source - either a referring site or a search engine, all I got was a variation of the client's own domain. For example the clients site is www.hersite.com, the referrer for the conversions in both cases was shop.hersite.com.
      The client's ecommerce transactions are taking place at Shopify.com

      Insight appreciated and happy to share the URL by email.

      Darlene
    • Eric Fettman
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2010
        Hi, Darlene -

        Many search engines users enter "www.yourwebsite.com<http://www.yourwebsite.com>" or "companyname" as search phrases. Since there really is no trick at all to ranking #1 for your company's own branded search terms, you'll have better insight into your actual organic search engine performance if you create and apply an advanced Google Analytics segment that contains only organic traffic from *nonbranded* search phrases as follows:

        Medium - Matches Exactly - Organic
        And
        Keyword - Does Not Contain - yourwebsite
        And
        Keyword - Does Not Contain - companyname

        Looking at search engine traffic without breaking out nonbranded traffic is not a bad idea, since for many of us, the majority of organic conversions are in fact based on branded phrases.

        As an alternative, you could pass your branded search phrases to the addIgnoredOrganic function in your Google Analytics tracking code, but then the branded traffic will appear as direct/no referrer. Since I still like to know how many branded searches are resulting in traffic to my website, and still want the medium to be recorded as "organic", I don't favor the addIgnoredOrganic option myself.

        HTH from the search engine side of things.

        Eric Fettman

        Eric Fettman
        Digital Marketing and Web Analyst
        Travel Insured International
        800-243-3174 x155
        860-528-7663 x155
        efettman@...<mailto:efettman@...>
        www.travelinsured.com<http://www.travelinsured.com/>

        [Adobe Systems]

        TRAVEL RELAXED.
        TRAVEL SECURE.
        TRAVEL INSURED.

        The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and confidential information and is intended only for the use of the individual and/or entity identified in the alias address of this message. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby requested not to distribute or copy this communication. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone or return e-mail and delete the original message from your system.

        SAVE A TREE - PLEASE DO NOT PRINT THIS EMAIL UNLESS YOU REALLY NEED TO.

          efettman@...<mailto:efettman%40travelinsured.com><mailto:efettman@...<mailto:efettman%40travelinsured.com>>

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 8, 2010
            Thanks Eric. I quite often do break out search engine terms into branded and
            not ;-)

            In this case I am looking at the referring site that converted - it is the
            client's own site apparently.

            If the client's site is www.hersite.com, the referring site was
            http://shop.hersite.com The referrer should be something else but I believe
            there needs to be an adjustment in how/where the code is placed.

            The site uses Shopify for ecommerce...

            Care to weigh in again? J

            Darlene Moore, DriveTraffic
            Search Engine and Social Media Marketing
            Office - 1-866-288-9606
            <http://www.drivetraffic.ca> http://www.drivetraffic.ca
            Skype: darlenemooresearch
            Twitter:@Drivetraffic

          • Eric Fettman
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 9, 2010
              Hi, Darlene -

              I'm not sure how Shopify works - is it a hosted solution where you can't place your own Google Analytics tracking code, or do you include it on a site that you host yourself? Are you using the subdomain because you aren't hosting yourself?

              A few thoughts:

              If you do have the ability to include the Google Analytics tracking code on shop.hersite.com, I think that would be a good idea. You would just need to include the same GATC on both sites and make sure to call setDomainName( '.hersite.com'). This way you'd be consolidating data for all subdomains and you'd be able to see the original referrer to either. (If you have a lot of the same paths on both subdomains, you'd just need to apply a profile rewrite filter to your that merged host + request URI into the final URI value so you could distinguish between same paths on two subdomains.)

              I'm also a little confused I guess as to why the shop subdomain was the referrer and not the destination - but was that your original question?

              In any case, I hope I have somewhat understood the scenario and that this helps a little.

              Eric