RE: [webanalytics] Re: Setting up a segment in GA

  • David Simmons
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2010
      Ophir, I think you might be leaving September out, which AFAICT would make
      this impossible to achieve in GA. :)

      @David/Eric, keep in mind that you don�t actually need to build a custom
      segment to find this number. Here�s how:

      1) Select the current time period (e.g. the month of October) and write
      down how many unique visitors GA is reporting

      2) Change the date range to July 1 to September 30 (the previous 3
      months) and write down how many unique visitors GA is reporting

      3) Now change the date range to July 1 to October 31 and write down how
      many unique visitors GA is reporting

      4) Subtract #3 above from the sum of #1 and #2 to show how many unique
      visitors visited during both October and at any time during the prior 3
      months

      You could then build a segment that gives you the same thing (I think Eric�s
      suggestion looks correct to me but I don�t have GA in front of me so I can�t
      tell for sure). You�d be able to double-check that your segment is correct
      by comparing it with the number you got above before you analyze the data to
      find out what�s re-activating these returning visitors after so much time.

      You can also do a very rudimentary Cohort Analysis by doing the opposite of
      the steps listed above (i.e. by going forward from July) to see how well
      you�ve retained July�s users , though as Eric says, cookie deletions will
      definitely weigh on the quality of your results over such a long period.

      HTH

      David