Re: The great cookie debate.....

  • Stephen Turner
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2005
      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Joe Wilson <joe.wilson@m...>
      wrote:

      > If someone does not visit at least once per week, they are not
      > loyal customers

      What are you selling? Newspapers, DVD rentals, clothes, Christmas
      decorations?

      --
      Stephen Turner
      CTO, ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 2005
        Good point. Since we are an information portal for people looking for
        rental housing, our "loyal" customers would be returning about a year (or
        potentially 2 or three years) after a prior last visit.

        I thing frequency is clearly an issue specific to a site or type of site.

        Larry

        Lawrence E. Portnoff
        4 Walls, LLC
        308 East Lancaster Avenue, Suite 200
        Wynnewood, PA 19096
        610-649-9500
        800-390-1776
        larry@...
        >> If someone does not visit at least once per week, they are not
        >> loyal customers
        >>

        > What are you selling? Newspapers, DVD rentals, clothes, Christmas
        > decorations?
        >
        > --
        > Stephen Turner
        > CTO, ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/

      • Joe Wilson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2005
          I completely agree, but I also stand by my original assesment. While I
          don't know your business, it would seem reasonable to me that two things
          are true:

          1) When someone is actively searching for a rental property, they
          probably have numerous visits in a short period of time.
          2) This process probably continues for more than a single week.

          So, focusing strictly on the ability to convert this site visitor, the
          7-day definition of reachable or monetizable audience would still be
          valid. Whether a once a week visit translates strictly to a loyal
          visitor is clearly not generally applicable but still widely valid.

          My larger point is that that we need to move away from the "eyeballs"*
          definition of audience to a more sustainable model where audience
          represents a useful business metric. I put a stake in the ground, as a
          point of discussion, that the size of the audience you can actually
          convert or monetize is best described by a 7-day window of activity.
          There are clearly examples where a 14-day or 30-day cycle is more
          applicable (think payroll cycle and corporate purchase cycle
          respectively), but I still believe that this applies to a wide variety
          of sites. I will readily admit, however, that my experience is biased
          towards advertising supported content sites rather than e-commerce sites.

          Regards,

          Joe Wilson
          Chief Scientist
          Tacoda - The Audience Company