re: Article on the Neiman Journalism Lab

  • Judah Phillips
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2010
      What I want to know is:

      1) What actions have you taken to optimize your site based on this
      engagement calculus?

      2) Have you correlated it with performance of a revenue or profit-based
      metric? If so, what were the results?

      3) What technology are you using to measure it and is the calculation
      manual?

      My opinion is that, sure, it's interesting, but 12+ hours per week of one
      person's time to calculate this metric hardly seems worth it unless you are
      actioning on it, in some way, to increase profitable revenue.

      Judah

    • Chris
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 26, 2010
        Judah,

        These are very good questions. I am going to answer each one but the first thing I want to say is that I don't spend 12 hours a week on this...she took what I said about time out of context...I spend 12 hours a week working with the engagement metric, not calculating it...that takes about 2 minutes.

        1. The engagement metric is basically just a combo of KPI's that allows us to keep an eye on and also gives our content team an idea of how each of their sections is performing...if some stories are being shared or commented on more than others we can feature them more prominently in different areas of the site.

        2. The engagement metric is very new, as in it was implemented within the past 3 months. We have yet to tie revenue directly to it but we have a plan in the near future to make a direct correlation between yield management, cpm rates and engagement

        3. Most of the engagement metric comes directly out of omniture Discover...there is some manual work but very little and very quick.