Re: Tracking multiple sites in Omniture

  • Yuhui
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 26, 2010
      Hi Sugam,

      Technically, it should work.

      BUT you missed out a comma.

      s.linkInternalFilters="javascript:,"+window.location.hostname;

      Notice the "," after "javascript:".

      One thing to think about: if people type "xyz.com" and "www.xyz.com", will they be seeing the same page? If so, then you might want to modify your code to use ".xyz.com" instead of just window.location.hostname.

      Make sure you also set this domain name in your report suite's admin setting.

      Regards,
      Yu Hui
      Twitter: @yuhui

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Sugam khokhani <sugam.khokhani@...> wrote:

      > I had a similar question:
      > We currently have 5000+ subdomains. Currently all fit under the same rule in
      > the internal filters as :
      > mydomainname.com (so be it abc.mydomainname.com or xyz.mydomainname.com,
      > omniture will treat it as internal links)
      >
      > Now for SEO purpose, we have decided to move to www.xyz.com (for all 5000+
      > subdomains)
      >
      > The good news is, there are no links from one subdomain to the other. So i
      > decided to update the internal filter as:
      >
      > s.linkInternalFilters="javascript:"+window.location.hostname;
      >
      > So basically, when the user lands on the domain, Omniture will pick that
      > domain as internal domain and will treat any other domain as exit link.
      >
      > Will this work?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Sugam
      >
      > On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Yuhui <yuhuibc@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Hi Sid,
      > >
      > > The easiest way is to make sure that you've listed all of your domain names
      > > in the Internal URL filters in both the s_code.js and your report suite's
      > > admin settings.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Yu Hui
      > > Twitter: @yuhui
      > >

      > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > "Sid" <syedspiky@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Hi All
      > > >
      > > > I was wondering if anybody can help me how I can track multiple sites in
      > > Omniture?
      > > >
      > > > Is there anyway to use cross domain tracking on a couple of sites wihtout
      > > using global report suite?
      > > >
      > > > Many thanks

    • Sugam khokhani
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 27, 2010
        Yuhui,
        Is it necessary to call out the domain name in admin settings. I ask this
        because I will have to call out 5000+ domains.

        Thanks,
        Sugam

        On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Yuhui <yuhuibc@...> wrote:

        > Hi Sugam,
        >
        > Technically, it should work.
        >
        > BUT you missed out a comma.
        >
        > s.linkInternalFilters="javascript:,"+window.location.hostname;
        >
        > Notice the "," after "javascript:".
        >
        > One thing to think about: if people type "xyz.com" and "www.xyz.com", will
        > they be seeing the same page? If so, then you might want to modify your code
        > to use ".xyz.com" instead of just window.location.hostname.
        >
        > Make sure you also set this domain name in your report suite's admin
        > setting.
        >

        > Regards,
        > Yu Hui
        > Twitter: @yuhui
        >
        > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > Sugam khokhani <sugam.khokhani@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I had a similar question:
        > > We currently have 5000+ subdomains. Currently all fit under the same rule
        > in
        > > the internal filters as :
        > > mydomainname.com (so be it abc.mydomainname.com or xyz.mydomainname.com,
        > > omniture will treat it as internal links)
        > >
        > > Now for SEO purpose, we have decided to move to www.xyz.com (for all
        > 5000+
        > > subdomains)
        > >
        > > The good news is, there are no links from one subdomain to the other. So
        > > decided to update the internal filter as:
        > >
        > > s.linkInternalFilters="javascript:"+window.location.hostname;
        > >
        > > So basically, when the user lands on the domain, Omniture will pick that
        > > domain as internal domain and will treat any other domain as exit link.
        > >
        > > Will this work?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Sugam
        > >
        > > On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Yuhui <yuhuibc@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > > Hi Sid,
        > > >
        > > > The easiest way is to make sure that you've listed all of your domain
        > names
        > > > in the Internal URL filters in both the s_code.js and your report
        > suite's
        > > > admin settings.
        > > >
        > > > Regards,
        > > > Yu Hui
        > > > Twitter: @yuhui
        > > >

        > > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com><webanalytics%
        > 40yahoogroups.com>,

        > in
        > > > Omniture?

        > wihtout
        > > > using global report suite?

      • Yuhui
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 28, 2010
          Sugam,

          1. If some of your 5000+ domains are actually subdomains, then use ".domainname.com". Notice the "." in front of "domainname.com". This will automatically set subdomains of "domainname.com" to be internal URLs.

          2. Client Care might be able to assist you in automating the setup for 5000+ domains.

          BTW I find it quite incredible that you have to manage 5000+ domain names!

        • Sugam khokhani
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 28, 2010
            Thanks much Yuhui.

            Right now it is piece of cake as these 5000+ are subdomains. Lets see how it
            goes when we move them to 5000+ domains :) (which is going to happen pretty
            soon).

            On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Yuhui <yuhuibc@...> wrote:

            > Sugam,
            >
            > 1. If some of your 5000+ domains are actually subdomains, then use ".
            > domainname.com". Notice the "." in front of "domainname.com". This will
            > automatically set subdomains of "domainname.com" to be internal URLs.
            >
            > 2. Client Care might be able to assist you in automating the setup for
            > 5000+ domains.
            >
            > BTW I find it quite incredible that you have to manage 5000+ domain names!
            >

            > Regards,
            > Yu Hui
            > Twitter: @yuhui
            >
            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > Sugam khokhani <sugam.khokhani@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Yuhui,
            > > Is it necessary to call out the domain name in admin settings. I ask this
            > > because I will have to call out 5000+ domains.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Sugam
            > >
            > > On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Yuhui <yuhuibc@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > > Hi Sugam,
            > > >
            > > > Technically, it should work.
            > > >
            > > > BUT you missed out a comma.
            > > >
            > > > s.linkInternalFilters="javascript:,"+window.location.hostname;
            > > >
            > > > Notice the "," after "javascript:".
            > > >
            > > > One thing to think about: if people type "xyz.com" and "www.xyz.com",
            > will
            > > > they be seeing the same page? If so, then you might want to modify your
            > code
            > > > to use ".xyz.com" instead of just window.location.hostname.
            > > >
            > > > Make sure you also set this domain name in your report suite's admin
            > > > setting.
            > > >

            > > > Regards,
            > > > Yu Hui
            > > > Twitter: @yuhui
            > > >
            > > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com><webanalytics%
            > 40yahoogroups.com>,

            > rule
            > > > in
            > xyz.mydomainname.com,

            > > > 5000+

            > So

            > that
            > link.

            > domain
            > > > names
            > > > suite's

            > 40yahoogroups.com><webanalytics%
            >
            > > > 40yahoogroups.com>,

            > sites
            > > > in

            > > > wihtout

          • sleepless_san_francisco
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 29, 2010
              It is going to get messy, make sure your page names are set correctly, prefer to start with the domain, like
              s.pageName=domain:sub-sections:index

              this will prevent page name conflicts. Also set the domain to a traffic variable on every page, so that you know overall traffic to each domain.

            • adamjenkins79
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 29, 2010
                I would say take that convention one step further, especially if you have a global presence.

                Language:Site/Brand:Section:Subsection:Page:Detail

                I would also take some time to think about which of these levels you would want to track from a prop and var perspective. Good luck, this is where taking a little time to think scalability will save you big time down the road.

                ARJ

                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "sleepless_san_francisco" <mlnet2010@...> wrote:

                > It is going to get messy, make sure your page names are set correctly, prefer to start with the domain, like
                > s.pageName=domain:sub-sections:index
                >
                > this will prevent page name conflicts. Also set the domain to a traffic variable on every page, so that you know overall traffic to each domain.
                >

                > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Sugam khokhani <sugam.khokhani@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks much Yuhui.
                > >
                > > Right now it is piece of cake as these 5000+ are subdomains. Lets see how it
                > > goes when we move them to 5000+ domains :) (which is going to happen pretty
                > > soon).
                > >
                > > On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Yuhui <yuhuibc@> wrote:
                > >

                > > > Sugam,
                > > >
                > > > 1. If some of your 5000+ domains are actually subdomains, then use ".
                > > > domainname.com". Notice the "." in front of "domainname.com". This will
                > > > automatically set subdomains of "domainname.com" to be internal URLs.
                > > >
                > > > 2. Client Care might be able to assist you in automating the setup for
                > > > 5000+ domains.
                > > >
                > > > BTW I find it quite incredible that you have to manage 5000+ domain names!
                > > >

                > > > Regards,
                > > > Yu Hui
                > > > Twitter: @yuhui
                > > >
                > > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,

                > > > will
                > > > code

                > > > 40yahoogroups.com>,

                > > > rule
                > > > xyz.mydomainname.com,

                > > > So

                > > > that
                > > > link.

                > > > domain

                > > > 40yahoogroups.com><webanalytics%

                > > > sites

              • Sugam khokhani
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 29, 2010
                  It sure is going to be messy. We can't even change the pagenames as each
                  domain has same set of pages.
                  The good news is, each domain has a unique id that will be captured in an
                  evar and prop.
                  Will reply to this chain when I have these 5000+ domains successfully
                  launched with correct metrics tracking. :)

                  Thanks,
                  Sugam