Re: Google Analytics not tracking goal conversions by campaign source

  • pablonoej
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2010
      Hi Chris,
      Thanks for your response. But this is a different scenario than adwords conversion. in adwords campaing taggin is automatic and also you need to add an adwords tracking code (you can track conversions with analytics goals also but i never did it.).
      This is a banner campaign (we are not using adwords).
      I think the problem is that when pagatracker event is activated, it "cleans" the utm parameter information in the url. that's why conversions from "not tagged sources" are counted.
      We are using the analytics code for CS3. in previous campaings we dindn`t have this problem using the other method to track flash events.
      We are still trying to figure it out.
    • pablonoej
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2010
        Thanks Chris.
        I posted a comment yesterday but it seems it got losted somewhere.
        anyway, I was saying that this a litle different case than adwords conversions. In adwords you don`t have to tag banner or add an specific conversion tracking code.
        In this case I think the problem is that the pagetracker flash event (we used GA for Adobe CS3) is not recognizing the utm parameter on the URL. so conversions arenot attributed to the corresponding source (i.e the banner) but to direct visits.
        Noq the question is. why? how we could solve this issue?

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "back5576" <back5576@...> wrote:

        > I think the issues is as you have identified. Here is an article which may help
        > http://www.pitstopmedia.com/sem/how-to-track-clicks-as-conversions-in-adwords. I haven't tried this approach yet myself, so please post back here if it was a solution to your problem
        >
        > - Chris H, ShufflePoint
        >

        > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "pablonoej" <pablonoej@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Everybody!
        > > I was experiencing a tracking problem in GA and couldn`t find a solutions in forums and help sections.
        > > My problems goes like this:
        > > -I have a campaing site with ads pointing at it.
        > > -Goals are flash events (video play) tracked with pagetracker
        > > -GA tracks conversions and conversions by traffic source, but not from campaigns ads (the ones with utm parameters in url). only tracks conversions form google organic, referrals, etc.
        > > So the reports show as if ads have 100% bounce rate, while other sources have 20% conversion rate.
        > > I think the problem could be that somehow "pagetracker" don`t notice utm parameters in url. but i don`t know.
        > > any clues?
        > > thanks in advance!
        > > regards

      • Yuhui
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
          Hi,

          It's strange that the "utm" parameters aren't captured.

          Have you verified on your web pages that the "utm" paramters' info is captured in the "_utm.gif" tracking pixel?

          Regards,
          Yuhui
          Twitter: @yuhui

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "pablonoej" <pablonoej@...> wrote:

          > Hi Everybody!
          > I was experiencing a tracking problem in GA and couldn`t find a solutions in forums and help sections.
          > My problems goes like this:
          > -I have a campaing site with ads pointing at it.
          > -Goals are flash events (video play) tracked with pagetracker
          > -GA tracks conversions and conversions by traffic source, but not from campaigns ads (the ones with utm parameters in url). only tracks conversions form google organic, referrals, etc.
          > So the reports show as if ads have 100% bounce rate, while other sources have 20% conversion rate.
          > I think the problem could be that somehow "pagetracker" don`t notice utm parameters in url. but i don`t know.
          > any clues?
          > thanks in advance!
          > regards

        • David Simmons
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
            @ the OP

            Since you said that you�re seeing a 100% bounce rate on the inbound display
            traffic yet GA is classifying the conversions as �direct,� it sounds to me
            like the referrer is getting lost during Flash instantiation.

            Are you sure that all other referral sources (such as traffic coming from
            non-banner sources such as organic search or via links from third party
            sites) are coming in properly for these Flash event conversions? Is there
            any conditional logic in the code on your page or in your Flash object (such
            as a 302 redirect) that results in the visitors referred from the banners
            getting different code?

            Have you set up Flashvars? See
            http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/164/tn_16417.htmlfor more info....

            HTH