need help selecting a metric for custom onclicks in Omniture

  • Sugam khokhani
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2010
      Hello,
      We capture multiple onclicks on our site with same link name. We
      differentiate between onclicks using a prop (say abc, xyz, etc.). I know for
      the fact that pageviews metric is not available for custom onclick. But I
      assume we can get the pageview metric for the prop that we capture along
      with the onclick.
      When I pull a report for that prop with visits and pageviews metric, the
      data for pageviews is much less compared to visits which does not make
      sense.

      e.g.: There is a web page that has 10 links tracked with same custom link
      name and same prop value. If the user clicks on all 10 links, will the prop
      report have visits = 1 and pageviews = 10?

      Any idea what is more accurate metric for this scenario?

      Thanks in advance!

      -Sugam

    • KevinR
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2010
        When using custom onclicks I am a big fan of using an eVar and a event. You can set the value of the eVar to which link was clicked, and the event is a pure counter of the total number of clicks. Works perfectly.

        Kevin Rogers
        http://webanalyticsland.com

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Sugam khokhani <sugam.khokhani@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > We capture multiple onclicks on our site with same link name. We
        > differentiate between onclicks using a prop (say abc, xyz, etc.). I know for
        > the fact that pageviews metric is not available for custom onclick. But I
        > assume we can get the pageview metric for the prop that we capture along
        > with the onclick.
        > When I pull a report for that prop with visits and pageviews metric, the
        > data for pageviews is much less compared to visits which does not make
        > sense.
        >
        > e.g.: There is a web page that has 10 links tracked with same custom link
        > name and same prop value. If the user clicks on all 10 links, will the prop
        > report have visits = 1 and pageviews = 10?
        >
        > Any idea what is more accurate metric for this scenario?
        >
        > Thanks in advance!
        >
        > -Sugam

      • Craig Scribner
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2010
          In all my live long days I've never seen a report where the Visit count
          exceeded the Page Views or Instances count for a line item. It sounds like a
          bug to me-from time to time as Omniture's extending its hardware or moving
          data from one machine to another, they miss a pointer somewhere and some
          data gets left out of reports. When I've experienced this, they've been able
          to find the problem and fix the reports, so nothing was really lost once we
          sorted out the problem.

          I suggest you take this to them directly.

          Good luck!

          Craig

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6, 2010
            Sugam,

            You should expect to see a Visit counted for each prop value that is recorded during the user's visit. If the user clicks a link with the same prop value 10 times during a visit, I would expect to see one Visit tied to that prop value, as you suggested. You are also correct that this should appear as 10 "Page Views" in the prop report.

            Let me know if you have any other questions about this.

            Thanks,

            Ben Gaines
            Product Manager
            Adobe Systems, Inc.