Re: [webanalytics] Google Analytics -- filtering for a long list of visitor countries

  • Edward Kay
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2010
      Could you do this using advanced segments, which helpfully give you the
      extra dimensions of 'Continent' and 'Sub-continent region"?

      (I agree that these should also appear in the filter setting too)

      Ed

      --
      Edward Kay
      Senior Project Manager

      Torchbox Ltd | Southill Park | Charlbury | OX7 3EW

      Direct: +44 (0)1608 638373
      Office: +44 (0)1608 811870
      Email: edward.kay@...
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/edwardkay
      http://www.torchbox.com

    • Phil
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2010
        @Tim

        As you have stated "Visitor Country" is only available as a include/exclude (it not accessible via advanced filter to send to user-defined)

        Q. Can you include via
        * Geographic domain (co.uk or .eu etc) or
        * Visitors language (en-gb or en-us etc)

        Otherwise use a server side geo-ip detection to forward EMEA visitors to a folder /EMEA/ then include the folder.

        Or to minimise the SEO impact you could keep the folders the same, but use the server side detection to create a virtual pageview with _gaq.push(['_trackPageview','/EMEA/' document.location.pathname + document.location.search]); for EMEA visitors.

        Geo-ip databases:
        http://www.maxmind.com/app/mod_geoip
        http://www.hostip.info/use.html
        http://www.ipligence.com/products

        # apache .htaccess example to send to folder /emea/ from http://cooletips.de/htaccess/
        RewriteEngine on
        RewriteCond %{ENV:GEOIP_COUNTRY_CODE} UK [NC]
        RewriteRule ^$ /emea/ [L]

        Thanks

        Phil.
      • Tim
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2010
          Thanks, guys!

          The advanced segment approach is fantastic -- I'd missed that that had continent/sub-continent in it. The only downside is that the segment will have to be shared with / set up for each user who needs the data sliced that way (plus funnel limitations...but that's not an issue for that view of the data).

          The language and geo domain are interesting -- we'll give that a look.

          The geo-lookup based on IP address would be a bit rough for this client -- they've got a highly fragmented site, so getting that capability set up and deployed would be a bit much.

          Thanks!
          Tim