About Excel

  • rekha yadav
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2010
      Hi

      Can any one tel me what all details we should know in Excel to  work for any reporting
      tool like  in analytics.
      thanks

    • gamerpatrick
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2010
        Hi Rekha,

        Depending on what you are trying to achieve, Excel may have nothing to do with your analytics reporting. All the major tools provide some level of charts and graphs for you to use, and different kinds of export options for you to distribute.

        If you are looking to create more complex connections between your analytics data and other data sources, you may need to do a lot of studying, including VBA programming, Excel math & stats functions, and in some cases, more complex reporting theory.

        If you'd like some details that may be more specific to your needs (rather than a generic response), feel free to contact me with details about your environment and requirements.

        Regards,
        Patrick Mazzotta
        Senior Web Analytics Consultant
        Unilytics.com

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, rekha yadav <rekhayadav1@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > Can any one tel me what all details we should know in Excel to  work for any reporting
        > tool like  in analytics.
        > thanks

      • tadikonda ravikumar
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2010
          Hi Rekha,

          May be this dashboard will help you http://blog.immeria.net/2008/08/even-more-web-analytics-dashboards-fun.html

          Regards,
          Ravi
          www.seogems.blogspot.com

          Can any one tel me what all details we should know in Excel to  work for any reporting

          tool like  in analytics.

          thanks

        • Zakrajsek, Scott
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2010
            Hi Rekha,

            Your post is a little vague, but here are a couple resources for you.
            For dashboarding, I find that its most important to be comfortable using
            various lookup functions. This makes it easy to clean up the static
            data extracts you'll get from your analytics tools. The ones I find
            myself using frequently are: VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, SUMIF, COUNTIF, INDEX,
            MATCH, RANK. I also find it helpful to know a good bit about String
            functions, which helps you parse through "dirty data": LEN,
            LEFT/RIGHT/MID, TRIM, REPLACE, CONCATENATE, TEXT/VALUE. For adhoc
            analysis it's good to know about the Sort and Filter functionalities
            within excel. Of course there are other good functions to know...IF
            statements, Boolean functions (AND/OR), Chart basics, etc.

            A good place to learn and/or post specific Excel questions:

            http://www.mrexcel.com/

            If youre a visually inclined learner, ExcelIsFun on Youtube is great:

            http://www.youtube.com/user/ExcelIsFun

            Juice Analytics is also good, more geared toward the dashboard
            design/data viz side, but they have great Excel tips too.

            http://www.juiceanalytics.com/writing/

            http://www.juiceanalytics.com/writing/topics/excel/

            HTH, and if you have a more specific question feel free to followup.

            -Scott

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2010
              Hello--

              The details are somewhat different depending on what tool you're using,
              but in every case you'll want to utilize an API if they have one,
              otherwise you'll go for comma or tab-delimited exports. One key decision
              you'll want to make is whether or not you need the Excel data to be
              fully automated, semi-automated or just "published". The more automated
              it needs to be, the more customized the scripting needs to be in order
              to pull data to keep your spreadsheets updated.

              I can provide more detail in a separate discussion. My company
              specializes in writing these kinds of scripts if you need that.

              Thanks,

              Andrew

              --
              Andrew Edwards