Redirect Site Shows as Referral Source - Using an iFrame - Need Advice!

  • artwilbur@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2010
      Hi,

      The site that I am working with is a .org, so they have an equivalent .com username that redirects to their .org site.

      However, it's not a true redirect. It actually loads the .org site in an iframe, but retains the .com domain.

      You can see what I'm talking about here: http://soldiersangels.com

      The .com "site" (more like frame) doesn't have analytics on it. So when someone hits this site, it shows as a referring source, because the analytics code on the .org site fires.

      The problem here is that the actual referring source is not being recorded. So it could have come from email, social media, a link on a Web site, etc, but we'll never know.

      I thought maybe that the code could be put on the .com frame, but since the frame is retained as the user browses through the .org site, I thought it might double-fire. Is this true?

      I'll ask if they can set up the .com site to be a true redirect instead of working this way, but assuming that it is not possible, what is the best solution? Should we add the analytics code on that frame?

      Thanks very much for your help!
    • Ramjee Ganti
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2010
        Hi,

        You can set up a rule that when ever someone access the ".com" site they
        will be sent to ".org" site. One of the best ways is to do a 301 redirect.
        (You will not loose searching engine rankings).

        This page gives you how to do this on different platforms:
        http://www.webconfs.com/how-to-redirect-a-webpage.php

        Hope this helps.

        rAm

        i Think, i Wait, i Fast -- Siddhartha
        http://sodidi.ramjeeganti.com

        On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 9:01 PM, artwilbur@... <
        artwilbur@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > The site that I am working with is a .org, so they have an equivalent .com
        > username that redirects to their .org site.
        >
        > However, it's not a true redirect. It actually loads the .org site in an
        > iframe, but retains the .com domain.
        >
        > You can see what I'm talking about here: http://soldiersangels.com
        >
        > The .com "site" (more like frame) doesn't have analytics on it. So when
        > someone hits this site, it shows as a referring source, because the
        > analytics code on the .org site fires.
        >
        > The problem here is that the actual referring source is not being recorded.
        > So it could have come from email, social media, a link on a Web site, etc,
        > but we'll never know.
        >
        > I thought maybe that the code could be put on the .com frame, but since the
        > frame is retained as the user browses through the .org site, I thought it
        > might double-fire. Is this true?
        >
        > I'll ask if they can set up the .com site to be a true redirect instead of
        > working this way, but assuming that it is not possible, what is the best
        > solution? Should we add the analytics code on that frame?
        >
        > Thanks very much for your help!

      • Luca Vicini
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
          Hello,

          I am trying to integrate the transaction details coming from a PayPal
          "buy now" shopping button, into a Google Analytics e-commerce setup.
          It is much more difficult than I initially thought.

          Did anyone ever succeeded in passing back the informations from a PayPal
          transaction back to Google Analytics.
          If yes, how did you implement it.

          Cheers
          Luca
        • Ayan Mukherji
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
            Hi,

            The way we have done is that we have got the traffic diverted back to our
            website on the order confirmation page once the transaction has been
            completed in Paypal. On the order confirmation page we have tagged our
            Google Analytics code to capture the transaction details.

            Hope this will help.

            Regards,

            Ayan

          • artwilbur@rocketmail.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
              Hi,

              This is off-topic on this thread, but you should be able to tell Paypal to redirect the user to a thank you page on your domain that collects the eCommerce data and reports it to GA.

              You'd probably get better answers starting a new thread. I'd give you better detail, but our developers implemented it. Good luck!

            • artwilbur@rocketmail.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
                You are correct, that would be best, I was curious about what to do if this was not possible.

                However, we are going to look into helping them set up a proper 301 redirect, I let them know about the SEO value in addition to the proper reporting value.

                Any info on what would be best besides filtering the referrals if this was not possible to change? I'm curious.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
                  Hello,

                  I did initially exactly what Ayan and you did. i.e. redirecti the user
                  to a "Thank You" page on my domain after the transaction.

                  I have two problems:
                  1) It takes between 5 and 10 seconds to redirect from Paypal to my
                  website. This is quite long and I suspect that I am going to lose part
                  of the traffic.
                  2) PayPal send back info through PDT (Payment Data Transfer). In
                  practice you have to design a script that will collect the data from
                  paypal through a post method. This is just part of the problem as then
                  you will have to generate the proper Javascript to send the info to
                  Google Analytics through _addTrans() -addItem() and _trackTrans(). I
                  tried to use few ready made scripts that I found around, but somehow I
                  didn't succeed in making them work.

                  At this stage I don't know how to progress.

                  Cheers
                  Luca

                  On 6/3/10 4:04 PM, artwilbur@... wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > This is off-topic on this thread, but you should be able to tell
                  > Paypal to redirect the user to a thank you page on your domain that
                  > collects the eCommerce data and reports it to GA.
                  >
                  > You'd probably get better answers starting a new thread. I'd give you
                  > better detail, but our developers implemented it. Good luck!
                  >
                  > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, Luca Vicini <luca.vicini@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello,
                  > >
                  > > I am trying to integrate the transaction details coming from a PayPal
                  > > "buy now" shopping button, into a Google Analytics e-commerce setup.
                  > > It is much more difficult than I initially thought.
                  > >
                  > > Did anyone ever succeeded in passing back the informations from a
                  > PayPal
                  > > transaction back to Google Analytics.
                  > > If yes, how did you implement it.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers
                  > > Luca

                • Omar
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
                    Luca,

                    I am not sure how to address the time sensitivity concern you are having, but have you tried doing what Ayan recommended in combination with the _trackEvent() method on the paypal button on your website? This will allow you to see possible conversion up until a certain point- of course this approach isnt 100% reliable since you still dont know whether the customer purchased the actual service/ product through paypal, but at the least it will give you another way of determining the process of conversion with a margin for error. :) If used with the a few other approaches, this can be very helpful.

                    Thanks!

                    Omar Ead

                    Twitter: @omarjead

                    --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Luca Vicini <luca.vicini@...> wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > I am trying to integrate the transaction details coming from a PayPal
                    > "buy now" shopping button, into a Google Analytics e-commerce setup.
                    > It is much more difficult than I initially thought.
                    >
                    > Did anyone ever succeeded in passing back the informations from a PayPal
                    > transaction back to Google Analytics.
                    > If yes, how did you implement it.
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    > Luca

                  • Luca Vicini
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
                      Hi Omar,

                      Thanks! That is a good idea. The number of visits with the _trackEvent()
                      method, validated by the number of visits to the "Thank you" page. The
                      real number of sales should be included between the two figures.

                      I just found another script, I will try to customize it before
                      surrendering. :-)

                      I was assuming that since GA and PayPal are very widespread it would
                      have been easy to find a ready made solution. But as people say:
                      assumption is the mother of all disasters.

                      Thanks again to everyone
                      Cheers
                      Luca

                      Twitter: @lvicini