Google Analytics Ecommerce - Revenue & Quantity

  • demoore_ca
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2010
      Hi All!
      I have a client using ASPDOTNET Shopping Cart and Google Analytics. We are having some ecommerce tracking issues in GA in that if anything shows up under revenue for a given transaction, the quantity is zero! So a given transaction number may show $100 revenue and qty 0. On the other hand if quantity is anything other than 0, revenue shows zero! So if quantity is 2 for a given transaction, the revenue is 0!

      We've cross referenced to see if there is a specific product, location, method of payment, time of day, day of week, etc. that is causing the discrepancy but have not found any common variations.

      Any thoughts on where to start troubleshooting?

      Thanks!

      Darlene
    • Ramjee Ganti
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 28, 2010
        Hi Darlene,

        Can you verify if the eCommerece tracking is setup properly on the receipt
        page of shopping cart. I suspect something with the fields from which the
        quantity and revenue are being passed.

        - Are you using Master Pages?
        - If you are referring to the fields using their id can you verify that
        the id's are static. In ASP.NET typically the id's on the client side are
        dynamically generated and not predictable. So confirm this is not the case.
        - If the above two are not issue, better test things out in dev. env by
        trying to replicate the shopping cart behavior and keep track of the
        variables that are sent.

        Good luck resloving the issue.

        rAm

        i Think, i Wait, i Fast -- Siddhartha
        http://sodidi.ramjeeganti.com

        On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 7:06 PM, demoore_ca <darlene@...> wrote:

        > Hi All!
        > I have a client using ASPDOTNET Shopping Cart and Google Analytics. We are
        > having some ecommerce tracking issues in GA in that if anything shows up
        > under revenue for a given transaction, the quantity is zero! So a given
        > transaction number may show $100 revenue and qty 0. On the other hand if
        > quantity is anything other than 0, revenue shows zero! So if quantity is 2
        > for a given transaction, the revenue is 0!
        >
        > We've cross referenced to see if there is a specific product, location,
        > method of payment, time of day, day of week, etc. that is causing the
        > discrepancy but have not found any common variations.
        >
        > Any thoughts on where to start troubleshooting?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Darlene

      • Eric Fettman
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 29, 2010
          Hi, Darlene –

          The good news is that you are getting some ecommerce data into GA, which makes me think it may be a relatively simple server-side programming issue.

          Are you able to run test transactions with the different scenarios you’re describing, view the HTML source of the page where the ecommerce transaction is finalized and recorded, and verify that the obligatory OrderID, and Total arguments are being populated correctly for _addTrans and that the obligatory OrderID, SKU/Code, Price, or Quantity arguments are being populated correctly for _addItem?

          One thing you’ll want to make sure of is that the order of the arguments passed to _addTrans and _addItem does not vary from required format and that empty arguments are still represented with two quote marks, also separated by a comma from previous and following argument.

          You’ll also want to make sure that the OrderID argument for each call to _addItem matches the OrderID argument you’re passing to _addTrans.

          Here’s a good summary/tutorial on this if you haven’t already seen it:

          http://services.google.com/analytics/breeze/en/ecommerce/index.html

          HTH

          Eric Fettman

          Digital Marketing and Web Analyst

          Travel Insured International

          800-243-3174 x155

          860-528-7663 x155

          efettman@... <mailto:efettman@...>

          www.travelinsured.com <http://www.travelinsured.com/>

          TRAVEL RELAXED.
          TRAVEL SECURE.
          TRAVEL INSURED.

          The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and confidential information and is intended only for the use of the individual and/or entity identified in the alias address of this message. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby requested not to distribute or copy this communication. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone or return e-mail and delete the original message from your system.

          SAVE A TREE - PLEASE DO NOT PRINT THIS EMAIL UNLESS YOU REALLY NEED TO.