Re: Successes with double UA codes?

  • nethab1
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2010
      You shouldn't need to use a second UA code. The latest version of the GA tracking code has a page level custom variable designed specifically for categorizing pages. All you would need to do is add a line in your tracking code indicating those pages are from the "applications" category.

      For example:
      pageTracker._setCustomVar(1,"Section","Applications",3);
      pageTracker._trackPageview();

      You can put whatever you want in place of "Section" and "Applications", but that should get you on the right track.

      http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/docs/tracking/gaTrackingCustomVariables.html#pageLevel

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "l_terpak" <L_Terpak@...> wrote:

      > Hello All,
      > Hoping you could help me.
      > One of my clients wants to look at the data on a specific grouping of
      > pages that is on their domain www.mysite.com. Example, my goal is to
      > look at only the data on the www.mysite.com/applications pages. I am
      > unable to (a) set up a filter because they got rid of their directory
      > structure in order to *help* with SEO efforts (b) set up a custom
      > segment because it only limits to 20 queries, and I have many more.
      >
      > Our solution to this issue was to add a second UA code, so we are able
      > to still look at all of the www.mysite.com traffic from UA-XXXXXX- 1 as
      > well as the www.mysite.com/applications which would be UA-XXXXXX- 2.
      >
      > I have been watching this data carefully, and it appears we have had
      > some limited success with this way of tracking. Pageviews and Unique
      > pageviews match perfectly between the two UA's. However, the data from
      > the Average Time on Page is coming up as 0:00, and Bounce Rate is at
      > 99%. I'm going into this assuming that the bounce rate is high for the
      > www.mysite.com/applications because we're only tracking a specific
      > number of pages - not how they're navigating through the site after
      > going to the /applications pages with this second UA number (FYI
      > www.mysite.com UA-XXXXXX- 1 reports this same grouping of pages to have
      > 0.00% bounce rate). I just want to make sure I'm thinking through what
      > I'm seeing correctly.
      >
      > The part that truly baffles me is the 0:00 time on page. As I looked at
      > the www.mysite.com UA-XXXXXX- 1 data, it reports an average time on
      > page of 0:25. Does anyone have an explanation of why this time on page
      > would be coming up as 0:00 in one code, and 0:25 in another? Has anyone
      > on here used the double UA code and with full success on the data?
      >
      > Thank you so much for your help,
      > Leanne Terpak
      > lterpak@...

    • l_terpak
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 2010
        Hi Nethab,
        Thank you very much for this code. I have implemented and am now testing the results in the reports.

        It seems in the Custom Variable Advanced Segment I created, I'm still pulling in unwanted pages - like the home page as well as many others. How do I get rid of results showing up on these unwanted pages? (this was the main reason we implemented the second UA code)

        Thank you again for your assistance,
        Leanne Terpak
        lterpak@...

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "nethab1" <nethab1@...> wrote:

        > You shouldn't need to use a second UA code. The latest version of the GA tracking code has a page level custom variable designed specifically for categorizing pages. All you would need to do is add a line in your tracking code indicating those pages are from the "applications" category.
        >
        > For example:
        > pageTracker._setCustomVar(1,"Section","Applications",3);
        > pageTracker._trackPageview();
        >
        > You can put whatever you want in place of "Section" and "Applications", but that should get you on the right track.
        >
        > http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/docs/tracking/gaTrackingCustomVariables.html#pageLevel
        >
        > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "l_terpak" <L_Terpak@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello All,
        > > Hoping you could help me.
        > > One of my clients wants to look at the data on a specific grouping of
        > > pages that is on their domain www.mysite.com. Example, my goal is to
        > > look at only the data on the www.mysite.com/applications pages. I am
        > > unable to (a) set up a filter because they got rid of their directory
        > > structure in order to *help* with SEO efforts (b) set up a custom
        > > segment because it only limits to 20 queries, and I have many more.
        > >
        > > Our solution to this issue was to add a second UA code, so we are able
        > > to still look at all of the www.mysite.com traffic from UA-XXXXXX- 1 as
        > > well as the www.mysite.com/applications which would be UA-XXXXXX- 2.
        > >
        > > I have been watching this data carefully, and it appears we have had
        > > some limited success with this way of tracking. Pageviews and Unique
        > > pageviews match perfectly between the two UA's. However, the data from
        > > the Average Time on Page is coming up as 0:00, and Bounce Rate is at
        > > 99%. I'm going into this assuming that the bounce rate is high for the
        > > www.mysite.com/applications because we're only tracking a specific
        > > number of pages - not how they're navigating through the site after
        > > going to the /applications pages with this second UA number (FYI
        > > www.mysite.com UA-XXXXXX- 1 reports this same grouping of pages to have
        > > 0.00% bounce rate). I just want to make sure I'm thinking through what
        > > I'm seeing correctly.
        > >
        > > The part that truly baffles me is the 0:00 time on page. As I looked at
        > > the www.mysite.com UA-XXXXXX- 1 data, it reports an average time on
        > > page of 0:25. Does anyone have an explanation of why this time on page
        > > would be coming up as 0:00 in one code, and 0:25 in another? Has anyone
        > > on here used the double UA code and with full success on the data?
        > >
        > > Thank you so much for your help,
        > > Leanne Terpak
        > > lterpak@

      • nethab1
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6, 2010
          The trick with Advanced segments is that they work on the Visit level, not the page level. When you ask for Custom Var = Applications, you are really asking for every *visit* that included a view of an Applications page (including all the other pages that person may have viewed during that visit).

          Instead of using Advanced Segments, what I would do is go under "Custom Reports" and create a report with the first dimension as "Custom Variable (Value 1)" and the second dimension as "Page". Then you can drill into the various sections (in case you have others besides Applications), and see the corresponding pages for each.