Google Analytics: Page Template vs. Page

  • Nathan Decker
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 25, 2010
      Hello folks. Long time lurker, first time asker.

      I'm trying to find an easy way to view our website on a "page template"
      level. Is there a way to look at path analysis based on page template?
      In our current GA setup, it's easy to get the 10,000 foot view (site
      traffic, conversion, aos, bounce rate, etc) and the micro-granular 1
      inch view (by ski model or jackets size large) but it's really difficult
      to get the easier to digest 10 foot view. Some questions are tough such
      as: How many people are entering on the product detail page? What are
      the most common paths to purchase? What % of time to people spend poring
      over results pages compared to reading product information on detail
      pages? Etc. etc.

      Our eCommerce is actually rather simple. It's largely driven by a few
      main page templates:

      * Home Pages (Store, Outlet) - 2 permutations

      * Shop Landing Pages (Clothing Shop, Ski Shop, etc.) - 16
      permutations

      * Results or Search Pages - tens of thousands of permutations

      * Product Detail Pages - about 6,000 permutations

      * Cart - one page

      * Checkout (there are a few steps but each page is unique)

      The Content reporting seems like the best place to do this but I don't
      want to lose the 1 inch view. Is there a way to get both? I can get a
      pretty decent view using advanced filters but the data isn't perfect and
      it's tricky to get at.

      I have to think many of you have solved this type of issue a long time
      ago. Your comments and/or suggestions appreciated.

      Nathan

    • abehnam
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 25, 2010
        Nathan,

        I recommend setting up a secondary profile based on your current profile and use a series of "search and replace" or "advanced" filters (depending how your pages are named) in order to rename your pagenames to template names.
        In your secondary profile, you should then be able to see pathing at the template level since you've effectively replaced your pages with templates.
        Your existing profile remains unchanged of course.

        Best,
        Ali Behnam,
        www.tealium.com

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Nathan Decker <nathan@...> wrote:

        > Hello folks. Long time lurker, first time asker.
        >

        > I'm trying to find an easy way to view our website on a "page template"
        > level. Is there a way to look at path analysis based on page template?
        > In our current GA setup, it's easy to get the 10,000 foot view (site
        > traffic, conversion, aos, bounce rate, etc) and the micro-granular 1
        > inch view (by ski model or jackets size large) but it's really difficult
        > to get the easier to digest 10 foot view. Some questions are tough such
        > as: How many people are entering on the product detail page? What are
        > the most common paths to purchase? What % of time to people spend poring
        > over results pages compared to reading product information on detail
        > pages? Etc. etc.
        >

        > Our eCommerce is actually rather simple. It's largely driven by a few
        > main page templates:
        >
        > * Home Pages (Store, Outlet) - 2 permutations
        >
        > * Shop Landing Pages (Clothing Shop, Ski Shop, etc.) - 16
        > permutations
        >
        > * Results or Search Pages - tens of thousands of permutations
        >
        > * Product Detail Pages - about 6,000 permutations
        >
        > * Cart - one page
        >
        > * Checkout (there are a few steps but each page is unique)
        >

        > The Content reporting seems like the best place to do this but I don't
        > want to lose the 1 inch view. Is there a way to get both? I can get a
        > pretty decent view using advanced filters but the data isn't perfect and
        > it's tricky to get at.
        >

        > I have to think many of you have solved this type of issue a long time
        > ago. Your comments and/or suggestions appreciated.
        >

        > Nathan

      • fredeilam
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 26, 2010
          Hi Nathan,

          This sounds like an ideal solution for using custom variables in GA.
          You can add a tag on each page designating what template it's using and then use the custom variables as segments.

          - Ophir Prusak

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Nathan Decker <nathan@...> wrote:

          > Hello folks. Long time lurker, first time asker.
          >

          > I'm trying to find an easy way to view our website on a "page template"
          > level. Is there a way to look at path analysis based on page template?
          > In our current GA setup, it's easy to get the 10,000 foot view (site
          > traffic, conversion, aos, bounce rate, etc) and the micro-granular 1
          > inch view (by ski model or jackets size large) but it's really difficult
          > to get the easier to digest 10 foot view. Some questions are tough such
          > as: How many people are entering on the product detail page? What are
          > the most common paths to purchase? What % of time to people spend poring
          > over results pages compared to reading product information on detail
          > pages? Etc. etc.
          >

          > Our eCommerce is actually rather simple. It's largely driven by a few
          > main page templates:
          >
          > * Home Pages (Store, Outlet) - 2 permutations
          >
          > * Shop Landing Pages (Clothing Shop, Ski Shop, etc.) - 16
          > permutations
          >
          > * Results or Search Pages - tens of thousands of permutations
          >
          > * Product Detail Pages - about 6,000 permutations
          >
          > * Cart - one page
          >
          > * Checkout (there are a few steps but each page is unique)
          >

          > The Content reporting seems like the best place to do this but I don't
          > want to lose the 1 inch view. Is there a way to get both? I can get a
          > pretty decent view using advanced filters but the data isn't perfect and
          > it's tricky to get at.
          >

          > I have to think many of you have solved this type of issue a long time
          > ago. Your comments and/or suggestions appreciated.
          >

          > Nathan

        • sbashiri234
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 26, 2010
            Hi Nathan,

            It sounds like you may benefit from GA's segmentation. If you haven't used it yet, it's as simple as creating a "filter" by dragging a dimension, from a list of built-in criteria, into your custom segments. This unfortunately segments your data from the day you create the segment. I would recommend you create as many segments as you can think of now, even if nobody has asked for it yet. Because latter you can use GAs advanced segments to create segments that will filter your historical data too, on the fly.

            To create advanced segments, click on the tab next to "Advanced Segments" on the top right corner in your dashboard. select one or more from the list of pre-defined segments (this is where your custom segments comes handy). Click apply and your done!

            Steve Bashiri

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Nathan Decker <nathan@...> wrote:

            > Hello folks. Long time lurker, first time asker.
            >

            > I'm trying to find an easy way to view our website on a "page template"
            > level. Is there a way to look at path analysis based on page template?
            > In our current GA setup, it's easy to get the 10,000 foot view (site
            > traffic, conversion, aos, bounce rate, etc) and the micro-granular 1
            > inch view (by ski model or jackets size large) but it's really difficult
            > to get the easier to digest 10 foot view. Some questions are tough such
            > as: How many people are entering on the product detail page? What are
            > the most common paths to purchase? What % of time to people spend poring
            > over results pages compared to reading product information on detail
            > pages? Etc. etc.
            >

            > Our eCommerce is actually rather simple. It's largely driven by a few
            > main page templates:
            >
            > * Home Pages (Store, Outlet) - 2 permutations
            >
            > * Shop Landing Pages (Clothing Shop, Ski Shop, etc.) - 16
            > permutations
            >
            > * Results or Search Pages - tens of thousands of permutations
            >
            > * Product Detail Pages - about 6,000 permutations
            >
            > * Cart - one page
            >
            > * Checkout (there are a few steps but each page is unique)
            >

            > The Content reporting seems like the best place to do this but I don't
            > want to lose the 1 inch view. Is there a way to get both? I can get a
            > pretty decent view using advanced filters but the data isn't perfect and
            > it's tricky to get at.
            >

            > I have to think many of you have solved this type of issue a long time
            > ago. Your comments and/or suggestions appreciated.
            >

            > Nathan

          • Phil
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 29, 2010
              Nathan,

              It is not possible to use include filters on CustomVar (yet). So you could either used the depreciated user-defined, or create a virtual pageview with the template stucture of
              "/ga_cat=homepage/rest-of-uri-here/"

              or...

              _gaq.push(['thirdTracker._trackPageview', '/ga_cat=insert_$serverside_template_value_here' + document.location.pathname + document.location.search + document.location.hash])

              ------------ Here is an example script to Test ------------
              <script type="text/javascript">
              // settings
              var ga_DomainNameHashNumber = 'none'; // can also be set to '.you-domain.com'

              var pageTrackerUAID = '000001'; // UA-x - [original]
              var pageTrackerProfileID = '1'; // UA-x-1

              var gwsoTrackerUAID = '000001'; // UA-x enter GA account ID here
              var gwsoTrackerProfileID = '2'; // UA-x-2

              var thirdTrackerUAID = '000001'; // UA-x [Cat + URI fix]
              var thirdTrackerProfileID = '3'; // UA-x-3

              var gwsoTestOn = true; // show control script and gwso pageview
              var gwsoTestType = 'ab'; // enter 'mtv' or 'ab'
              var gwsoTestID = '1234567'; // enter google website optimiser test ID here

              // do not edit below this line (unless RegExp match is wrong)
              var _gaq=_gaq||[];

              // pageTracker - default URI
              _gaq.push(['pageTracker._setAccount','UA-' +pageTrackerUAID+ '-' +pageTrackerProfileID]);
              _gaq.push(['pageTracker._setDomainName',ga_DomainNameHashNumber]);
              _gaq.push(['pageTracker._setAllowAnchor',true]); // enable hash tag for #ga_source
              _gaq.push(['pageTracker._setAllowLinker',true]); // enable cross domains links for cart hosted on different domain
              _gaq.push(['pageTracker._trackPageview']);

              // gwso
              if{ gwsoTestOn = true} {
              _gaq.push(['gwsoTracker._setAccount','UA-' +gwsoTrackerUAID+ '-' +gwsoTrackerProfileID]);
              _gaq.push(['gwsoTracker._setDomainName',ga_DomainNameHashNumber]);
              _gaq.push(['gwsoTracker._trackPageview', '/'+ gwsoTestID +'/test']); // add a if-statement to change '/test' to '/goal' on sale_complete.html
              }

              // thirdTracker - Cat + URI fix
              _gaq.push(['thirdTracker._setAccount','UA-' + thirdTrackerUAID+ '-' +thirdTrackerProfileID]);
              _gaq.push(['thirdTracker._setDomainName',ga_DomainNameHashNumber]);
              _gaq.push(['thirdTracker._setAllowAnchor',true]); // enable hash tag for #ga_source
              _gaq.push(['thirdTracker._setAllowLinker',true]); // enable cross domains links for cart hosted on different domain

              regex = new RegExp("^(/|/(index|default)\.(html?|aspx?|php|cfm))$");
              var match_pathname = regex.exec(document.location.pathname);
              if (match_pathname != null) {_gaq.push(['thirdTracker._trackPageview', '/ga_cat=homepage' + document.location.pathname + document.location.search + document.location.hash]);
              else _gaq.push(['thirdTracker._trackPageview', '/ga_cat=insert_$serverside_category_value_here' + document.location.pathname + document.location.search + document.location.hash]);}

              // call gs.js
              (function() {
              trackEvent working in seopositionplus
              var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
              ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
              var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
              })();
              </script>

              ----------------------

              Thanks

              Phil.

              Notes:
              * SEO site structures fix - Improved uri mode, to fix root level pathname to remove URI changes in GA - use this Custom Advanced filter in GA:

              RequestURI: ^/ga_cat=.*/(.*)
              Output RequestURI: /$A1

              [optional] to allow the visit links button to work in GA adding this line to htaccess (assuming you are on apache):
              RewriteEngine on
              RedirectMatch ^/ga_cat=.*/(.*)$ /$1 [302,L] // assumes test id is 9 digits or empty
            • Nathan Decker
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 31, 2010
                Thanks for all the great suggestions! Fantastic. Specifically I'm
                chasing Ali's idea to use the Search and Replace functionality in a new
                profile. I'm having a little trouble with the syntax. As a starting
                point, I'm trying to replace all our "/product/foo/foo.aspx" pages to
                "product.aspx". Once this is accomplished, I presume I'll have a
                template-level view of all product pages. That will be a glorious
                stepping stone in the right direction.

                Assuming all product pages follow the same pattern...
                "/product/skis/k2-pontoon.aspx" where "/product/" is ALWAYS the same,
                can I simply put this into the find/replace feature?

                * Find: product/*

                * Replace: product.aspx

                This sounds like an advanced move and I love advanced moves.

                The Google Analytics article gets me closer but isn't very in depth:
                http://www.google.com/support/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55573
                This guy also had some good pointers:
                http://www.vdgraaf.info/filters-in-google-analytics.html

                Cheerio,

                Nathan

                <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> , Nathan Decker <nathan@...>
                wrote:

                > Hello folks. Long time lurker, first time asker.
                >

                > I'm trying to find an easy way to view our website on a "page
                template"
                > level. Is there a way to look at path analysis based on page template?
                > In our current GA setup, it's easy to get the 10,000 foot view (site
                > traffic, conversion, aos, bounce rate, etc) and the micro-granular 1
                > inch view (by ski model or jackets size large) but it's really
                difficult
                > to get the easier to digest 10 foot view. Some questions are tough
                such
                > as: How many people are entering on the product detail page? What are
                > the most common paths to purchase? What % of time to people spend
                poring
                > over results pages compared to reading product information on detail
                > pages? Etc. etc.
                >

                > Our eCommerce is actually rather simple. It's largely driven by a few
                > main page templates:
                >
                > * Home Pages (Store, Outlet) - 2 permutations
                >
                > * Shop Landing Pages (Clothing Shop, Ski Shop, etc.) - 16
                > permutations
                >
                > * Results or Search Pages - tens of thousands of permutations
                >
                > * Product Detail Pages - about 6,000 permutations
                >
                > * Cart - one page
                >
                > * Checkout (there are a few steps but each page is unique)
                >

                > The Content reporting seems like the best place to do this but I don't
                > want to lose the 1 inch view. Is there a way to get both? I can get a
                > pretty decent view using advanced filters but the data isn't perfect
                and
                > it's tricky to get at.
                >

                > I have to think many of you have solved this type of issue a long time
                > ago. Your comments and/or suggestions appreciated.
                >

                > Nathan

                Reply to sender
                <mailto:abehnam@...?subject=Re:%20Google%20Analytics:%20Page%20Te
                mplate%20vs.%20Page> | Reply to group
                <mailto:webanalytics@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20Google%20Analytics:%2
                0Page%20Template%20vs.%20Page> | Reply via web post
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/webanalytics/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJyb2t2MjhmBF
                9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyOTc5MTQxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNTU4MgRtc2dJZAMyNT
                U0NARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzEyNjk1OTAwMTk-?act=reply&messageNum=
                25544> | Start a New Topic
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/webanalytics/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmaGhzcDh0BF
                9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyOTc5MTQxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNTU4MgRzZWMDZnRyBH
                NsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyNjk1OTAwMTk->

                Messages in this topic
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/webanalytics/message/25542;_ylc=X3oDMTM3a
                2Zpc3RmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyOTc5MTQxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNTU4MgRtc
                2dJZAMyNTU0NARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyNjk1OTAwMTkEdHBjSWQDMjU1N
                DI-> (2)

                Recent Activity:

                * New Members
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/webanalytics/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJnbDljOGJ
                uBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyOTc5MTQxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNTU4MgRzZWMDdnR
                sBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMjY5NTkwMDE4?o=6> 11

                Visit Your Group
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/webanalytics;_ylc=X3oDMTJmamQ4NzBrBF9TAzk
                3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyOTc5MTQxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNTU4MgRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN
                2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEyNjk1OTAwMTg->

                zEyOTc5MTQxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNTU4MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTI2O
                TU5MDAxOQ-->

                Switch to: Text-Only
                <mailto:webanalytics-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delive
                ry%20Format:%20Traditional> , Daily Digest
                <mailto:webanalytics-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20
                Digest> * Unsubscribe
                <mailto:webanalytics-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe> *
                Terms of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

              • Eric Fettman
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1 6:40 AM
                  Hi, Nathan -

                  I'd recommend following filter for this:

                  Filter 1 - Rewrite Request URI

                  Filter Type: Custom ->Search and Replace

                  Filter Field: Request URI

                  Search String: ^/product/.*

                  Replace String: /product

                  The caret (^) means that /product will match only at beginning of URI.
                  (This is kind of a best practice for Request URIs in most cases.)

                  The .* is wildcard for any string of any length.

                  You can specify the filter as not case-sensitive, but for another best
                  practice:

                  Filter 2 - Lowercase

                  Apply a simple Custom->Lowercase filter at the top of your filters list
                  (you can change order after you create the filter) to consolidate all
                  request URIs into a single lowercase version regardless of how they
                  appear on your website. (This still will not help any issues that
                  multiple version of URIs can potentially cause for search engine
                  optimization, such as splitting link popularity.)

                  And while we're on the subject of best practices for filters:

                  Filter 3 - Exclude your own traffic

                  If you haven't done so already, you can keep visits from your company
                  location to your own website from appearing in GA data by excluding by
                  IP address:

                  1. Speak to your IT folks to confirm your IP address range.

                  2. Use the Google tool to generate the IP address regex (
                  http://www.google.com/support/googleanalytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer
                  =55572)

                  3. Create a new filter as Predefined filter->Exclude->Traffic from
                  the IP addresses->Match->IP Address: {regex from step 2}

                  And don't forget to maintain a profile with no filters applied at all so
                  you can always refer to your raw data just in case one of your filters
                  messes up!

                  HTH

                  Eric Fettman

                  Digital Marketing and Web Analyst

                  Travel Insured International

                  800-243-3174 x155

                  860-528-7663 x155

                  efettman@... <mailto:efettman@...>

                  www.travelinsured.com <http://www.travelinsured.com/>

                  TRAVEL RELAXED.
                  TRAVEL SECURE.
                  TRAVEL INSURED.

                  The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and
                  confidential information and is intended only for the use of the
                  individual and/or entity identified in the alias address of this
                  message. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or
                  an employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended
                  recipient, you are hereby requested not to distribute or copy this
                  communication. If you have received this communication in error, please
                  notify us immediately by telephone or return e-mail and delete the
                  original message from your system.

                  SAVE A TREE - PLEASE DO NOT PRINT THIS EMAIL UNLESS YOU REALLY NEED TO.

                  wrote:

                  > Hello folks. Long time lurker, first time asker.
                  >

                  > I'm trying to find an easy way to view our website on a "page
                  template"
                  > level. Is there a way to look at path analysis based on page template?
                  > In our current GA setup, it's easy to get the 10,000 foot view (site
                  > traffic, conversion, aos, bounce rate, etc) and the micro-granular 1
                  > inch view (by ski model or jackets size large) but it's really
                  difficult
                  > to get the easier to digest 10 foot view. Some questions are tough
                  such
                  > as: How many people are entering on the product detail page? What are
                  > the most common paths to purchase? What % of time to people spend
                  poring
                  > over results pages compared to reading product information on detail
                  > pages? Etc. etc.
                  >

                  > Our eCommerce is actually rather simple. It's largely driven by a few
                  > main page templates:
                  >
                  > * Home Pages (Store, Outlet) - 2 permutations
                  >
                  > * Shop Landing Pages (Clothing Shop, Ski Shop, etc.) - 16
                  > permutations
                  >
                  > * Results or Search Pages - tens of thousands of permutations
                  >
                  > * Product Detail Pages - about 6,000 permutations
                  >
                  > * Cart - one page
                  >
                  > * Checkout (there are a few steps but each page is unique)
                  >

                  > The Content reporting seems like the best place to do this but I don't
                  > want to lose the 1 inch view. Is there a way to get both? I can get a
                  > pretty decent view using advanced filters but the data isn't perfect
                  and
                  > it's tricky to get at.
                  >

                  > I have to think many of you have solved this type of issue a long time
                  > ago. Your comments and/or suggestions appreciated.
                  >

                  > Nathan

                  Reply to sender
                  <mailto:abehnam@... <mailto:abehnam%40san.rr.com>
[...]

                  <mailto:webanalytics-traditional%40yahoogroups.com>
                  ?subject=Change%20Delive
                  ry%20Format:%20Traditional> , Daily Digest
                  <mailto:webanalytics-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:webanalytics-digest%40yahoogroups.com>
                  ?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20
                  Digest> * Unsubscribe
                  <mailto:webanalytics-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:webanalytics-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>