Re: Your web analytics team - how is team work structured & how are roles define

  • ryanmcain
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2010
      I'm also interested in responses to your question. I'd even be interested in finding out how agencies (primarily advertising agencies) have their teams organized.

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "vdenkmann" <vdenkmann@...> wrote:

      > What started out as what I thought was a small thing is apparently harder than I thought to get information on. There are a tonne of articles out there about how the web analytics team should fit into the organizational structure as a whole but nothing I can find discusses taking it one step further in defining how, within the analytics team, work should be structured and how the roles are defined. I work for a large B2C and in the idea of continuous improvement this was my task allocated to me.
      >
      > For example, do any companies use a fully cross-trained bench where any analyst may be asked to do any kind of work (e.g. setting up reporting, producing reporting, do in-depth analysis) for any part of the business? Do any companies assign the work based on type, such as certain people specialize in setting up new reporting, others specialize in generating reports, others specialize in in-depth analysis? Are there other models?
      >
      > I know this may be "secret information" but anything, even anonymous would be great, I would just love to have something in addition to my own experiences to draw on.
      >
      > Thanks, Viv

    • Karen Milne
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2010
        I am consulting at a small company. They have a dedicated free range
        chicken for Marketing Operations that manages SFDC and Eloqua (email
        marketing). They had Google Analytics set up but not in an optimum
        way. I am trying to gather and annotate all the things they need to
        start measuring things more productively - end to end reporting across
        subdomains in GA being the key. I'd also like to see them implement
        Compete and iPerceptions into their code so they can get more in the
        way of qualitative measurement.

        I have also been conducting surveys so I've touched a lot of different metrics.

        There are 2-3 folks in Marketing that work with PPC and campaigns that
        measure certain things in GA but haven't done much in the way of
        testing or stressing the system.

        I am only here on contract - who will follow this after I leave is up
        for debate. We are working towards getting the web side of the
        business to be more data driven and I know this message has been taken
        to heart. All good stuff - no real structure yet. But the need for the
        role is there in spades.

        On 3/2/10, ryanmcain <ryanmcain@...> wrote:
        > I'm also interested in responses to your question. I'd even be interested in
        > finding out how agencies (primarily advertising agencies) have their teams
        > organized.
        >

        > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "vdenkmann" <vdenkmann@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> What started out as what I thought was a small thing is apparently harder
        >> than I thought to get information on. There are a tonne of articles out
        >> there about how the web analytics team should fit into the organizational
        >> structure as a whole but nothing I can find discusses taking it one step
        >> further in defining how, within the analytics team, work should be
        >> structured and how the roles are defined. I work for a large B2C and in
        >> the idea of continuous improvement this was my task allocated to me.
        >>
        >> For example, do any companies use a fully cross-trained bench where any
        >> analyst may be asked to do any kind of work (e.g. setting up reporting,
        >> producing reporting, do in-depth analysis) for any part of the business?
        >> Do any companies assign the work based on type, such as certain people
        >> specialize in setting up new reporting, others specialize in generating
        >> reports, others specialize in in-depth analysis? Are there other models?
        >>
        >> I know this may be "secret information" but anything, even anonymous would
        >> be great, I would just love to have something in addition to my own
        >> experiences to draw on.
        >>
        >> Thanks, Viv

      • Viv
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5, 2010
          This is a great start - thanks Karen, and as I also hear back from other parties via the other channels I have contacted I will also post them to the discussion board.

          Viv

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Karen Milne <kmilne58@...> wrote:

          > I am consulting at a small company. They have a dedicated free range
          > chicken for Marketing Operations that manages SFDC and Eloqua (email
          > marketing). They had Google Analytics set up but not in an optimum
          > way. I am trying to gather and annotate all the things they need to
          > start measuring things more productively - end to end reporting across
          > subdomains in GA being the key. I'd also like to see them implement
          > Compete and iPerceptions into their code so they can get more in the
          > way of qualitative measurement.
          >
          > I have also been conducting surveys so I've touched a lot of different metrics.
          >
          > There are 2-3 folks in Marketing that work with PPC and campaigns that
          > measure certain things in GA but haven't done much in the way of
          > testing or stressing the system.
          >
          > I am only here on contract - who will follow this after I leave is up
          > for debate. We are working towards getting the web side of the
          > business to be more data driven and I know this message has been taken
          > to heart. All good stuff - no real structure yet. But the need for the
          > role is there in spades.
          >
          > On 3/2/10, ryanmcain <ryanmcain@...> wrote:
          > > I'm also interested in responses to your question. I'd even be interested in
          > > finding out how agencies (primarily advertising agencies) have their teams
          > > organized.
          > >

          > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "vdenkmann" <vdenkmann@> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> What started out as what I thought was a small thing is apparently harder
          > >> than I thought to get information on. There are a tonne of articles out
          > >> there about how the web analytics team should fit into the organizational
          > >> structure as a whole but nothing I can find discusses taking it one step
          > >> further in defining how, within the analytics team, work should be
          > >> structured and how the roles are defined. I work for a large B2C and in
          > >> the idea of continuous improvement this was my task allocated to me.
          > >>
          > >> For example, do any companies use a fully cross-trained bench where any
          > >> analyst may be asked to do any kind of work (e.g. setting up reporting,
          > >> producing reporting, do in-depth analysis) for any part of the business?
          > >> Do any companies assign the work based on type, such as certain people
          > >> specialize in setting up new reporting, others specialize in generating
          > >> reports, others specialize in in-depth analysis? Are there other models?
          > >>
          > >> I know this may be "secret information" but anything, even anonymous would
          > >> be great, I would just love to have something in addition to my own
          > >> experiences to draw on.
          > >>
          > >> Thanks, Viv

        • Michelle
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5, 2010
            We have over 300 end users of web analytics data in our company. We have a team of three with additional support. The three team members are responsible for the scale of responsibilities for a particular group of end-users or team. This includes meeting to discuss goals/objectives, to report and dashboard creation and support and training. Of course everyone has their strengths so our team works together on projects where one participant may have more experience than another. One of these members is the program manager also responsible for the direction of analytics and cross dept projects. We also have extended members of our team that will help when we need specific statistical analysis. We have used this model for three years and found it successful at making sure the teams we support are successfully supported and at the same time giving our analysts growth opportunities and breadth of experience.

            Michelle Rutan
            ni.com