testing of webanalytics

  • Vikram
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 22, 2010
      Hi ya,

      can you please suggest best practices around testing webanalytics implementation(omniture or webtrends).

      Any test plan or strategy document along with the test tools that can be used will be of great help.

      regards,

    • Craig Scribner
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 22, 2010
        I do it by hand.

        I write up a Technical Requirements Document for each project and say here
        are the variables you need to populate on every page, and I don't sign off
        until I've QA'd things on the staging environment. It's a ton of work-I'd
        say between a third and a half of my job-but I've learned not to shirk this
        responsibility; you definitely reap what you sow in this business.

        PS. I always route dev traffic dynamically away from the production
        reporting account, so I don't pollute my reports while I'm going back and
        forth with dev.

        e.g., var s_account=(location.host.indexOf("livesite.com")>-1 ? "livesite" :
        "devsite")

        Also, I just had a tour of SiteAudit by ObservePoint. While there will
        always be a manual component to tag verification, I'm eager to see if this
        tool will take some of the burden off the implementation and/or maintenance
        phases.

        Best regards,

        Craig

        can you please suggest best practices around testing webanalytics
        implementation(omniture or webtrends).

        Any test plan or strategy document along with the test tools that can be
        used will be of great help.

        regards,

      • sleepless_san_francisco
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 22, 2010
          There is no better test than randomly clicking your site to verify page names. If your site use CMS, then when it works for one, it works for all. If your site uses a lot of ajax, then manually clicking on it is probably the only way to verify if it has triggered the correct page name.

          You can also use WASP, a simple and useful web analytic debugger.

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Vikram <vikram_taurus@...> wrote:

          > Hi ya,
          >
          > can you please suggest best practices around testing webanalytics implementation(omniture or webtrends).
          >
          > Any test plan or strategy document along with the test tools that can be used will be of great help.
          >
          > regards,

        • coachingnconsulting
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 23, 2010
            Hello Vikram,

            Omniture offers "Omniture Debugger" tool to check if all the evars,props and events are working correctly. Similarly, web trends offers a web trend debugger.

            To check if all the pages on your site are tagged correctly with Omniture/Web trends code I suggest using WebAnalyticsHealthScan.com

            (Full disclosure - WebAnalyticsHealthScan.com is developed by me and it is completely free to use)

            Hope this helps.

            Thanks
            Sameer Khan
            Author:Keywebmetrics.com blog

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Vikram <vikram_taurus@...> wrote:

            > Hi ya,
            >
            > can you please suggest best practices around testing webanalytics implementation(omniture or webtrends).
            >
            > Any test plan or strategy document along with the test tools that can be used will be of great help.
            >
            > regards,

          • michaelnotte
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 23, 2010
              Depends what you need to test.

              WASP (Web Analytics Solution Profiler) can be an interesting option - it tracks calls + parameters + values either as you surf on the site or in an automated way (crawler mode) and in the end you get a report you can save in CSV, Excel.

              WASP is free as eval version and price remains limited for Pro one. It is quickly refunded by the time you will save (+ added quality).
              See http://www.immeria.net for more info

              For the rest of course you need a test plan / scenario based on your tagging requirements. Make sure key cases are tested + special ones.

              Cheers,

              Michael Notté
              http://www.kaizen-analytics.com

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Vikram <vikram_taurus@...> wrote:

              > Hi ya,
              >
              > can you please suggest best practices around testing webanalytics implementation(omniture or webtrends).
              >
              > Any test plan or strategy document along with the test tools that can be used will be of great help.
              >
              > regards,

            • Akash Sharma
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 24, 2010
                Sameer,

                This site returns a 404 ­ site not found.

                Thanks Akash

                On 23/02/2010 23 Feb 15:48, "coachingnconsulting" <sameer.kh@...>
                wrote:

                > Hello Vikram,
                >
                > Omniture offers "Omniture Debugger" tool to check if all the evars,props and
                > events are working correctly. Similarly, web trends offers a web trend
                > debugger.
                >
                > To check if all the pages on your site are tagged correctly with Omniture/Web
                > trends code I suggest using WebAnalyticsHealthScan.com
                >
                > (Full disclosure - WebAnalyticsHealthScan.com is developed by me and it is
                > completely free to use)
                >
                > Hope this helps.
                >
                > Thanks
                > Sameer Khan
                > Author:Keywebmetrics.com blog
                >
                > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                > Vikram <vikram_taurus@...> wrote:
                >> >
                >> > Hi ya,
                >> >
                >> > can you please suggest best practices around testing webanalytics
                >> implementation(omniture or webtrends).
                >> >
                >> > Any test plan or strategy document along with the test tools that can be
                >> used will be of great help.
                >> >
                >> > regards,

              • Stephane Hamel
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 24, 2010
                  Sorry to disagree with some of the other answers, but "random test" is certainly not the best way to do quality assurance of your implementation.

                  I had started to write a reply here but it was turning out to be way too long... So please head to http://blog.immeria.net/2010/02/testing-web-analytics-implementation.html for details about how and what you should test.

                  Note: although the blog post refers to WASP (http://WebAnalyticsSolutionProfiler.com), a tool I created and is now owned by iPerceptions, the tips & methods are universal and could be done using other tools.

                  Stéphane Hamel
                  http://immeria.net

                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Vikram <vikram_taurus@...> wrote:

                  > Hi ya,
                  >
                  > can you please suggest best practices around testing webanalytics implementation(omniture or webtrends).
                  >
                  > Any test plan or strategy document along with the test tools that can be used will be of great help.
                  >
                  > regards,

                • observepoint
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 25, 2010
                    Stephane brings up a great point. The huge advantage of analytics is that data collection is aggregate, not sampled. However, this requires thorough implementation - and thorough implementations start with complete tagging. For the same reasons that web analytics doesn't work by sampling, manual spot checking just isn't a good option for serious analysts.

                    We've always believed that serious tag governance is both methodical (best practice) and holistic (comprehensive audits in combination with continuous monitoring of critical content.) This is the premise behind SiteAudit, our web analytics auditing system.

                    During last september's eMetrics show, our founder John Pestana posted a blog describing our recommended best practices for tag governance. Here are the practices in a nutshell:

                    1. New Page Production
                    a. Use SiteAudit to verify analytics tags after implementation in your dev servers. This tells you how well implementation was done by your development team.
                    b. When pages are moved to staging or pre-production servers, audit the group again for a pre-flight test. Run the audit in "live" mode, so server calls are made. Verify success in the analytics solution.
                    c. Audit the new pages after they are pushed to production to ensure everything is working.

                    2. Entire site content
                    Every page on the entire site should be audited quarterly to verify tags in aggregate. This verifies that:
                    a. All pages are tagged
                    b. Pixels are loading (and JS isn't broken)
                    c. Tags, attributes, and query parameters are set up correctly.

                    3. Ongoing Monitoring of Critical Content
                    While a site might consist of 100,000 + pages, generally a handful of pages are absolutely vital. These generally include the home page, landing pages, checkout processes, unsubscribe forms, templates, etc. SiteAudit can monitor these pages and tags on an ongoing, 24x7 basis. This prevents that traumatic moment when you realize your web developer in India didn't add tracking code to new PPC landing pages rolled out for last week's email push.
                    (view the entire post at bit.ly/aNNPJ5 )

                    A main benefit of SiteAudit over other methods of individual page auditing is that SiteAudit can audit a 500,000 page site over a holiday weekend without burning any human work cycles.

                    We've just released a firefox plugin that is really handy for detailed tag profiling (from any vendor), inspecting page elements for size and load time - including JS, CSS, images, etc. It's totally free (like beer) forever - and it won't shut off after 20 minutes :) Get it now at bit.ly/siteauditplugin

                    Disclaimer: I work for ObservePoint: makers of SiteAudit, a web analytics auditing system.