Google Analytics: Page Views by Page Title much lower than by URL

  • drogenfranz2000
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
      When I compare the number of Page Views by Page Title to the number of Page Views by URL (Top Websites), I get much lower numbers for the Page Titles, although I have only one Page Title by URL, and that Page Title doesn't change.

      When I drill down from Page URL to Page Title, I always get two Page Titles, one "not set", and one the regular Page Title.

      Does anyone have an idea what is the root for this problem?
    • Béate Vervaecke | e-Zen
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 6, 2010
        How many different hostnames do you find under visitors – network
        properties.

        Don’t know if this could be the reason, but it seems like there is somewhere
        a second version of your site, out there in cyberspace

        Béate Vervaecke

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 7, 2010
          Beate,

          Only 1 I think! But I also saw this with another site on Friday where I am certain that this can not be the issue. Interesting theory though - how would additional host names manifest as this problem?

          Do you mean that another site could be using the same Google Analytics code - producing extra UVs. But then how would these visitors register pageviews on the corrct site?

          Jim.

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
            Hello Béate,

            thanks, a ton, but I get 99,7% of all traffic from the correct hostname. So that shouldn't be an issue.

            @ju2ltd: If you find out why, I would be thrilled if you let me know!

            L.

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
              Beate,

              I took a look in Network properties and as with L, I am getting 98%
              visits from the the one hostname. So that confirms that multiple
              hostnames is not the issue.

              Jim.

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "drogenfranz2000" <lucolg@...>

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 9, 2010
                I think I've got it: The tracking code was in the header of the html file. I have now put it at the end of the body, and it seems to work!

                Try that!

                Message 7 of 17 , May 14, 2010
                  Hi,

                  are there any benchmarks for Visits with Internal Site Search? I am administering a (mostly) content website and I have only 0.89 percent visits with search although the search box is on almost every page.

                  If you have any benchmarks or can help me with numbers from your own content websites, I would greatly appreciate that.

                  Thanks,
                  Lukas
                • back5576
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 15, 2010
                    I am also seeing < 1%

                    --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "drogenfranz2000" <lucolg@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > are there any benchmarks for Visits with Internal Site Search? I am administering a (mostly) content website and I have only 0.89 percent visits with search although the search box is on almost every page.
                    >
                    > If you have any benchmarks or can help me with numbers from your own content websites, I would greatly appreciate that.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Lukas

                  • Tim Leighton-Boyce
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 16, 2010
                      I really don't think a general benchmark makes sense. It would depend on the
                      site and the people using it.

                      I work only in ecommerce and even within that type of site I see a range
                      from <5% to as much as 20% depending on the type of product being sold and
                      other factors.

                      Tim

                      On 16 May 2010 05:57, back5576 <back5576@...> wrote:

                      > I am also seeing < 1%
                      >

                      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > "drogenfranz2000" <lucolg@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi,
                      > >
                      > > are there any benchmarks for Visits with Internal Site Search? I am
                      > administering a (mostly) content website and I have only 0.89 percent visits
                      > with search although the search box is on almost every page.
                      > >
                      > > If you have any benchmarks or can help me with numbers from your own
                      > content websites, I would greatly appreciate that.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks,
                      > > Lukas

                    • David Simmons
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 17, 2010
                        I agree with Tim.

                        I�ve done analytics work for a number of content sites over the years and
                        also see a very wide range, from maybe 3% on average for a particular site
                        to 20% on average (with some day-to-day variance), though most have probably
                        been closer to 5%.

                        That said, a rate below 1% seems odd unless very few visits begin on the
                        site homepage. For what it�s worth, I don�t ever recall seeing many site
                        searches on deep link entries unless there�s a bad inbound link, major
                        problem with the landing page, or broader, navigation-related usability
                        problems.

                        HTH

                        David

                        On 16 May 2010 05:57, back5576 <back5576@... <back5576%40yahoo.com>>
                        wrote:

                        > I am also seeing < 1%
                        >

                        > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com><webanalytics%
                        40yahoogroups.com>,
                        > "drogenfranz2000" <lucolg@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi,
                        > >
                        > > are there any benchmarks for Visits with Internal Site Search? I am
                        > administering a (mostly) content website and I have only 0.89 percent
                        visits
                        > with search although the search box is on almost every page.
                        > >
                        > > If you have any benchmarks or can help me with numbers from your own
                        > content websites, I would greatly appreciate that.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks,
                        > > Lukas

                      • Luca Vicini
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 17, 2010
                          Hello,

                          I agree with David and Tim.
                          Less than 1% seems pretty low, unless there are navigation/usability
                          problems (for example the search function is below the fold) especially
                          if as you say the search box is on almost every page.

                          Another possibility is that somehow the searches are not tracked
                          properly. This might be the case when the search function is returning a
                          large amount of errors.
                          If your analytics implementation enables you to track error pages you
                          might investigate in this direction.

                          Cheers
                          Luca