Outbound link reporting assistance needed

  • l_terpak
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2009
      Greetings,

      I'm fairly new to reporting on outbound links and I was wondering if this group can help me discover the true meaning of the stats I have.

      In the Top Content report in Google Analytics, I'm looking at all of my /outbound/http://www.example.com/ links. Since I'm in Top Content, I need to report on Pageviews, Unique Pageviews, Avg. Time on Page, Bounce Rate, and % Exit (instead of visits).

      The information I'm confused about is, if the Avg. Time on Page is 05:33, does that mean that someone stayed on http://www.example.com/ (the outbound site that I'm linking to) for 05:33 or does it mean that someone stayed on that referring page on my site for 05:33? This same question goes for Bounce Rate as well - is GA reporting the number of bounces from my site? Or bounces on the site I'm linking to?

      I'm also under the impression that Pageviews reports the number of times that the user clicked on the outbound link - is that correct?

      Thank you in advance for any and all help you can provide me,
      Leanne Terpak
    • coachingnconsulting
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2009
        Leanne,

        Google Analytics reports will only show your website information unless you have integrated multiple domains/sub domains.

        In your case, the implementation of the out bound links is setup in a way that it tells Google Analytics code that /outbound/http://www.example.com/ is a page on your site. This is why the external site clicks page is showing up in your top content reports.

        All the other metrics (bounce rate, time on site) pertaining to this page could be your overall site metrics. I would suggest to compare the overall site and page specific metrics with the outbound link data.

        Hope this helps.

        Thank you
        Sameer Khan
        Rackspace SEO & Web Analyst
        Author: Keywebmetrics.com blog

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "l_terpak" <L_Terpak@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > I'm fairly new to reporting on outbound links and I was wondering if this group can help me discover the true meaning of the stats I have.
        >
        > In the Top Content report in Google Analytics, I'm looking at all of my /outbound/http://www.example.com/ links. Since I'm in Top Content, I need to report on Pageviews, Unique Pageviews, Avg. Time on Page, Bounce Rate, and % Exit (instead of visits).
        >
        > The information I'm confused about is, if the Avg. Time on Page is 05:33, does that mean that someone stayed on http://www.example.com/ (the outbound site that I'm linking to) for 05:33 or does it mean that someone stayed on that referring page on my site for 05:33? This same question goes for Bounce Rate as well - is GA reporting the number of bounces from my site? Or bounces on the site I'm linking to?
        >
        > I'm also under the impression that Pageviews reports the number of times that the user clicked on the outbound link - is that correct?
        >
        > Thank you in advance for any and all help you can provide me,
        > Leanne Terpak

      • nethab1
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2009
          Since www.example.com is an outbound link, the "Average Time On Page" is rather meaningless. In technical terms it means visitors spent an average of 05:33 doing "something else" in between the time they clicked your link and then coming back to view another page on your site.

          Also, it only includes people who came back to your site (within 30 minutes) after clicking the link. If they clicked the outbound link and never came back then no time on page is calculated at all.