Google Images search comes up as 'referrer' in GA

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2009
      Hi all, hope you are enjoying/enjoyed the Christmas holiday!

      I'm seeing traffic from Google image searches, but in GA, these come up as 'referring site' instead of 'search' traffic. The referring site is images.google.co.uk and the referring URL is /imgres. Is this a special feature of GA, and is there any way of find out what the search query was?

      Thanks

      David
    • gusvenditto
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 28, 2009
        David,

        Yes, I was enjoying the Christmas break, but now it's back to work!

        GA does not treat Google/images like a search engine, so it is not saving the search string.

        I have read that it is possible to configure GA so that it will treat images like a search engine but I never went ahead for 2 reasons.

        1. You have to add a tracking line to your search string -- to me, that sounded like more extra overhead to all pages and not worth the extra information.

        2. It double-counts the image searches.

        So it's doable but there are trade-offs -- at least that's what I know about it.

        - Gus

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <tregowandave@...> wrote:

        > Hi all, hope you are enjoying/enjoyed the Christmas holiday!
        >
        > I'm seeing traffic from Google image searches, but in GA, these come up as 'referring site' instead of 'search' traffic. The referring site is images.google.co.uk and the referring URL is /imgres. Is this a special feature of GA, and is there any way of find out what the search query was?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > David

      • Tim Archambault
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 28, 2009
          This post by Yoast adds the google image search directly into your GA
          script: http://yoast.com/google-analytics-and-google-image-search-revisited/

          and another using a filter from Search Cowboys:
          http://www.searchcowboys.com/seo/256

          --
          Contact me:
          801.850.2953 (cell or sms)

        • Allaedin Ezzedin
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 28, 2009
            Hi Dave,

            If you like to make the change at the code level, add the following code to
            your GATC (check this post
            <http://www.advanced-web-metrics.com/blog/2009/12/15/customising-the-list-of
            -search-engines-in-google-analytics/> by Brain Clifton)

            pageTracker._addOrganic("images.google.co.uk", "q");

            * To find the search query:

            - Go to the search engine site (ex. images.google.co.uk)

            - Search for any keyword (ex. "test")

            - Look at your keyword in the search result URL
            (http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en
            <http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=test&btnG=Search+Images
            &gbv=2&aq=f&oq=_> &source=hp&q=test&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=)

            - "q" is the search query parameter

            * At the GA account level:

            Adjust my hack on changing the campaign source to changing your campaign
            medium from "Referrer" to "Organic"

            http://www.e-nor.com/blog/index.php/web-analytics/group-referring-sites-in-g
            oogle-analytics/

            Good luck,