Web Analytics Master Programs / Further Education?

  • drogenfranz2000
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 7, 2009
      Are there any recommendable master degrees or Further Education Programs in Web Analytics?
    • Stephane Hamel
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 8, 2009
        This is a very broad and general question, but here's some tips:
        - UBC Award of Achievement in Web Analytics http://www.tech.ubc.ca/webanalytics/
        - UC Irvine Certificate in Web Intelligence http://unex.uci.edu/certificates/it/web_intel/
        - USF Internet Marketing http://www.interactivemarketingtraining.com/

        Also see the "Getting started in web analytics" post at http://blog.immeria.net/2009/09/getting-started-in-web-analytics-career.html

        ---
        Stéphane Hamel
        - Board of Director & Treasurer, Web Analytics Association
        - Tutor, UBC Award of Achievement in Web Analytics
        Twitter: immeria
        Web: http://immeria.net
        Blog: http://blog.immeria.net
        LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/shamel
        WASP: http://WebAnalyticsSolutionProfiler.com
        WAA: http://WebAnalyticsAssociation.org
        UBC: http://www.tech.ubc.ca/webanalytics/

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "drogenfranz2000" <lucolg@...> wrote:

        > Are there any recommendable master degrees or Further Education Programs in Web Analytics?

      • Jim Sterne
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 8, 2009
          I've just started this page on Web Analytics Education
          http://bit.ly/wa-training

          I'd be very happy if you (and you and you) would send me
          notification on others that should be added...

          Jim Sterne <jsterne@...> +1-805-965-3184
          Target Marketing of Santa Barbara www.targeting.com
          Rising Media, Inc.
          www.risingmedia.com
          eMetrics Marketing Optimization Summit www.emetrics.org
          Web Analytics Association www.WebAnalyticsAssociation.org
          ---------------------------

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 9, 2009
            Thank you so much. That does help!

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 9, 2009
              Hey Jim,

              thank you. That is a great help.

              You might want to add the Google Analytics Individual Qualification Certificate.

              Lukas

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Sterne" <jsterne@...> wrote:

              > I've just started this page on Web Analytics Education
              > http://bit.ly/wa-training
              >
              > I'd be very happy if you (and you and you) would send me
              > notification on others that should be added...
              >

              > Jim Sterne <jsterne@...> +1-805-965-3184
              > Target Marketing of Santa Barbara www.targeting.com
              > Rising Media, Inc.
              > www.risingmedia.com
              > eMetrics Marketing Optimization Summit www.emetrics.org
              > Web Analytics Association www.WebAnalyticsAssociation.org
              > ---------------------------

            • drogenfranz2000
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 9, 2009
                Sorry, I just noticed the GA IQ IS already on the page. Thanks anyway!

                ---

                Hey Jim,

                thank you. That is a great help.

                You might want to add the Google Analytics Individual Qualification Certificate.

                Lukas

                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Sterne" <jsterne@...> wrote:

                > I've just started this page on Web Analytics Education
                > http://bit.ly/wa-training
                >
                > I'd be very happy if you (and you and you) would send me
                > notification on others that should be added...
                >

                > Jim Sterne <jsterne@...> +1-805-965-3184
                > Target Marketing of Santa Barbara www.targeting.com
                > Rising Media, Inc.
                > www.risingmedia.com
                > eMetrics Marketing Optimization Summit www.emetrics.org
                > Web Analytics Association www.WebAnalyticsAssociation.org
                > ---------------------------

              • drogenfranz2000
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
                  When I compare the number of Page Views by Page Title to the number of Page Views by URL (Top Websites), I get much lower numbers for the Page Titles, although I have only one Page Title by URL, and that Page Title doesn't change.

                  When I drill down from Page URL to Page Title, I always get two Page Titles, one "not set", and one the regular Page Title.

                  Does anyone have an idea what is the root for this problem?
                • Béate Vervaecke | e-Zen
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 6, 2010
                    How many different hostnames do you find under visitors – network
                    properties.

                    Don’t know if this could be the reason, but it seems like there is somewhere
                    a second version of your site, out there in cyberspace

                    Béate Vervaecke

                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 7, 2010
                      Beate,

                      Only 1 I think! But I also saw this with another site on Friday where I am certain that this can not be the issue. Interesting theory though - how would additional host names manifest as this problem?

                      Do you mean that another site could be using the same Google Analytics code - producing extra UVs. But then how would these visitors register pageviews on the corrct site?

                      Jim.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
                        Hello Béate,

                        thanks, a ton, but I get 99,7% of all traffic from the correct hostname. So that shouldn't be an issue.

                        @ju2ltd: If you find out why, I would be thrilled if you let me know!

                        L.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
                          Beate,

                          I took a look in Network properties and as with L, I am getting 98%
                          visits from the the one hostname. So that confirms that multiple
                          hostnames is not the issue.

                          Jim.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 9, 2010
                            I think I've got it: The tracking code was in the header of the html file. I have now put it at the end of the body, and it seems to work!

                            Try that!

                            Message 13 of 17 , May 14, 2010
                              Hi,

                              are there any benchmarks for Visits with Internal Site Search? I am administering a (mostly) content website and I have only 0.89 percent visits with search although the search box is on almost every page.

                              If you have any benchmarks or can help me with numbers from your own content websites, I would greatly appreciate that.

                              Thanks,
                              Lukas
                            • back5576
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 15, 2010
                                I am also seeing < 1%

                                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "drogenfranz2000" <lucolg@...> wrote:

                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > are there any benchmarks for Visits with Internal Site Search? I am administering a (mostly) content website and I have only 0.89 percent visits with search although the search box is on almost every page.
                                >
                                > If you have any benchmarks or can help me with numbers from your own content websites, I would greatly appreciate that.
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Lukas

                              • Tim Leighton-Boyce
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 16, 2010
                                  I really don't think a general benchmark makes sense. It would depend on the
                                  site and the people using it.

                                  I work only in ecommerce and even within that type of site I see a range
                                  from <5% to as much as 20% depending on the type of product being sold and
                                  other factors.

                                  Tim

                                  On 16 May 2010 05:57, back5576 <back5576@...> wrote:

                                  > I am also seeing < 1%
                                  >

                                  > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                  > "drogenfranz2000" <lucolg@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hi,
                                  > >
                                  > > are there any benchmarks for Visits with Internal Site Search? I am
                                  > administering a (mostly) content website and I have only 0.89 percent visits
                                  > with search although the search box is on almost every page.
                                  > >
                                  > > If you have any benchmarks or can help me with numbers from your own
                                  > content websites, I would greatly appreciate that.
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks,
                                  > > Lukas

                                • David Simmons
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 17, 2010
                                    I agree with Tim.

                                    I�ve done analytics work for a number of content sites over the years and
                                    also see a very wide range, from maybe 3% on average for a particular site
                                    to 20% on average (with some day-to-day variance), though most have probably
                                    been closer to 5%.

                                    That said, a rate below 1% seems odd unless very few visits begin on the
                                    site homepage. For what it�s worth, I don�t ever recall seeing many site
                                    searches on deep link entries unless there�s a bad inbound link, major
                                    problem with the landing page, or broader, navigation-related usability
                                    problems.

                                    HTH

                                    David

                                    On 16 May 2010 05:57, back5576 <back5576@... <back5576%40yahoo.com>>
                                    wrote:

                                    > I am also seeing < 1%
                                    >

                                    > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com><webanalytics%
                                    40yahoogroups.com>,
                                    > "drogenfranz2000" <lucolg@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hi,
                                    > >
                                    > > are there any benchmarks for Visits with Internal Site Search? I am
                                    > administering a (mostly) content website and I have only 0.89 percent
                                    visits
                                    > with search although the search box is on almost every page.
                                    > >
                                    > > If you have any benchmarks or can help me with numbers from your own
                                    > content websites, I would greatly appreciate that.
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks,
                                    > > Lukas

                                  • Luca Vicini
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 17, 2010
                                      Hello,

                                      I agree with David and Tim.
                                      Less than 1% seems pretty low, unless there are navigation/usability
                                      problems (for example the search function is below the fold) especially
                                      if as you say the search box is on almost every page.

                                      Another possibility is that somehow the searches are not tracked
                                      properly. This might be the case when the search function is returning a
                                      large amount of errors.
                                      If your analytics implementation enables you to track error pages you
                                      might investigate in this direction.

                                      Cheers
                                      Luca