Include directory filter Google Analytics

  • Emiel Kamzol
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2009
      Hi there,

      We have a' site in 14 different languages. We have for every languages an specific profile whit an include filter. example mydomain.com/us/us/ the include filter is /us/us/
      and this for every language. And we have one overall profile (roll-up account) without any filters. Now we see some strange things in the visitors overview reports and e-commerce reports.
      The total amount of visitors per profile is three times more than the visitors in the overall profile. How can this happen?

      The strange thing is also happing whit the e-commerce transactions.
      overall profile has
      318 Transactions 513 Purchased Products
      language profile
      318 Transactions and 159 Purchased Products

      Can somebody please explain to me how this can happen.
      Many thanks upfront.

      Emiel.
    • nethab1
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2009
        I suspect the problem is the E-commerce transactions. E-commerce transactions don't have a "directory" associated with them, so filtering by directory has no effect on them. In other words, all E-commerce transactions are appearing in EVERY profile, and since each transaction is associated with a visit/visitor, that visit is still being included in your sub-profiles where it wouldn't be if the transaction was being filtered out.

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Emiel Kamzol" <emiel.kamzol@...> wrote:

        > Hi there,
        >
        > We have a' site in 14 different languages. We have for every languages an specific profile whit an include filter. example mydomain.com/us/us/ the include filter is /us/us/
        > and this for every language. And we have one overall profile (roll-up account) without any filters. Now we see some strange things in the visitors overview reports and e-commerce reports.
        > The total amount of visitors per profile is three times more than the visitors in the overall profile. How can this happen?
        >

        > The strange thing is also happing whit the e-commerce transactions.
        > overall profile has
        > 318 Transactions 513 Purchased Products
        > language profile
        > 318 Transactions and 159 Purchased Products
        >
        > Can somebody please explain to me how this can happen.
        > Many thanks upfront.
        >
        > Emiel.

      • Emiel Kamzol
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2009
          Upfront thanks for you're responds.

          You make my problem clear I have now setup an filter what is filtering out the e-commerce transactions after that the amount of visitor are coming close between the profiles, but still I seen some strange figures.

          Do you think that the following solution gone give me more exact numbers?

          I want to create an new GA account what has the function of an roll-up account. So that I have one account whit overall website statistics and

          the second account I gone use for separate the different languages whit the include filter: directory and e-commerce transactions. in combination whit the cookie path function per directory.

          Ore goal is to see every language as an separate site.

          Emiel.

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "nethab1" <nethab1@...> wrote:

          > I suspect the problem is the E-commerce transactions. E-commerce transactions don't have a "directory" associated with them, so filtering by directory has no effect on them. In other words, all E-commerce transactions are appearing in EVERY profile, and since each transaction is associated with a visit/visitor, that visit is still being included in your sub-profiles where it wouldn't be if the transaction was being filtered out.
          >
          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Emiel Kamzol" <emiel.kamzol@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi there,
          > >
          > > We have a' site in 14 different languages. We have for every languages an specific profile whit an include filter. example mydomain.com/us/us/ the include filter is /us/us/
          > > and this for every language. And we have one overall profile (roll-up account) without any filters. Now we see some strange things in the visitors overview reports and e-commerce reports.
          > > The total amount of visitors per profile is three times more than the visitors in the overall profile. How can this happen?
          > >

          > > The strange thing is also happing whit the e-commerce transactions.
          > > overall profile has
          > > 318 Transactions 513 Purchased Products
          > > language profile
          > > 318 Transactions and 159 Purchased Products
          > >
          > > Can somebody please explain to me how this can happen.
          > > Many thanks upfront.
          > >
          > > Emiel.

        • Omar
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2009
            Emiel,

            Would it be out of the question to reformat your URL's? If not, why dont you just format so that each language has its own URL AKA sub-domains?

            After you do that all you would have to is link the domains.

            Omar E

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Emiel Kamzol" <emiel.kamzol@...> wrote:

            > Upfront thanks for you're responds.
            >
            > You make my problem clear I have now setup an filter what is filtering out the e-commerce transactions after that the amount of visitor are coming close between the profiles, but still I seen some strange figures.
            >
            > Do you think that the following solution gone give me more exact numbers?
            >
            > I want to create an new GA account what has the function of an roll-up account. So that I have one account whit overall website statistics and
            >
            > the second account I gone use for separate the different languages whit the include filter: directory and e-commerce transactions. in combination whit the cookie path function per directory.
            >
            > Ore goal is to see every language as an separate site.
            >
            > Emiel.
            >

            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "nethab1" <nethab1@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I suspect the problem is the E-commerce transactions. E-commerce transactions don't have a "directory" associated with them, so filtering by directory has no effect on them. In other words, all E-commerce transactions are appearing in EVERY profile, and since each transaction is associated with a visit/visitor, that visit is still being included in your sub-profiles where it wouldn't be if the transaction was being filtered out.
            > >
            > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Emiel Kamzol" <emiel.kamzol@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi there,
            > > >
            > > > We have a' site in 14 different languages. We have for every languages an specific profile whit an include filter. example mydomain.com/us/us/ the include filter is /us/us/
            > > > and this for every language. And we have one overall profile (roll-up account) without any filters. Now we see some strange things in the visitors overview reports and e-commerce reports.
            > > > The total amount of visitors per profile is three times more than the visitors in the overall profile. How can this happen?
            > > >

            > > > The strange thing is also happing whit the e-commerce transactions.
            > > > overall profile has
            > > > 318 Transactions 513 Purchased Products
            > > > language profile
            > > > 318 Transactions and 159 Purchased Products
            > > >
            > > > Can somebody please explain to me how this can happen.
            > > > Many thanks upfront.
            > > >
            > > > Emiel.

          • mmittal
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 8, 2009
              I think it is incorrect to count visitors individually for each filter (report) and then to try to match it to the rollup Profile. Here is an example, mimicking 'your' filters. Assume that the same visitor visited these pages (within the same session).

              Filter Page Hit Visitor #
              /us/us 1 1
              /fr/fr 1 1

              Above, when added together will show as total of 2.

              The profile with no filters will show the visitor count as 1.

              Now, the same will be true not just for visitors but Visits and Hits (E-Commerce Transactions) as well.

              At the minimum, to fix the discrepancy for 'visits/hits' (not visitors), your rollup profile should have all of '/us/us' etc include filters (instead of no filters).

              Hope this helps.