Omniture Unique Visitor Inflation...

  • roberti0606
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009
      We're seeing an inflation in our unique visitors, however, don't see the same trend in page views. Using Discover, we were able to identify most of the increases were coming from typed/bookmarked traffic source (where referring domain was not identified using the visit container).

      We believe it's either bots or an issue with our cookies. Any thoughts on how we valid this?

      Robert
    • brg36
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2009
        Robert,

        Others may have better suggestions, but one thing you may want to look at is the Domains (not Referring Domains -- just Domains) report. This shows the domains registered to the IPs that visit your site. If you can isolate upticks in traffic from certain domains, you should be able to identify the source domain.

        If it's an across-the-board increase, I'd recommend working with ClientCare. They can dig into your clickstream data to help identify trends among "Typed/Bookmarked" visits. Let me know if you have any additional questions about this.

        Thanks,
        Ben Gaines
        Omniture, Inc.

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "roberti0606" <robert.yu@...> wrote:

        > We're seeing an inflation in our unique visitors, however, don't see the same trend in page views. Using Discover, we were able to identify most of the increases were coming from typed/bookmarked traffic source (where referring domain was not identified using the visit container).
        >
        > We believe it's either bots or an issue with our cookies. Any thoughts on how we valid this?
        >
        > Robert

      • Ramkumar
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2009
          Do you have data warehouse enabled for your report suite? I haven't used discover, so don't know whether the same thing can be achieved using discover.

          Pull out a data warehouse report with IP Addresses, browser, OS, page views, visits and visitors.

          You should be able to figure out the visits from particular IP/OS/Browser combination which is inflating your unique visitors. If you are able to find out some dubious visits here, it could be bots inflating your numbers.

          Ram

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "roberti0606" <robert.yu@...> wrote:

          > We're seeing an inflation in our unique visitors, however, don't see the same trend in page views. Using Discover, we were able to identify most of the increases were coming from typed/bookmarked traffic source (where referring domain was not identified using the visit container).
          >
          > We believe it's either bots or an issue with our cookies. Any thoughts on how we valid this?
          >
          > Robert

        • ltnearl
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2009
            Which days of the month are you seeing this, Robert? Could it just be your unique visitor metric "resetting" on the 1st of the month (or week)?

            Omniture's monthly unique visitors metric is based on the calendar month, not rolling, so on October 1st you're going to see a big jump as previously duplicated visitors become unique again. Same thing for weekly uniques on Sundays.