Workaround GA's 4 goal maximum?

  • Evan J Andrews
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2009
      Does anyone have an elegant workaround Google Analytics four conversion goal
      cap, and if so, could they please ping me (or share with the group)? I'm
      trying to stuff 7-8 goals within the same cookie and account.

      thanks in advance.

    • Arijit Chakroborty
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
        One thing one can do is by creating different profile. But suppose anybody want to create more than 4 goals for overall website. One way of doing is that create a profile using a source (e.g. a referral) that has lowest number of visits. and then create goal in that profile. In this way the data will remain "almost" same as the actual profile & u can create more than 4 goals.

        Arijit

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
          the most effective cure I found for google analytics shortcomings is Omniture, coremetrics, Webtrends or clicktracks

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Evan J Andrews <evanandrews@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone have an elegant workaround Google Analytics four conversion goal
          > cap, and if so, could they please ping me (or share with the group)? I'm
          > trying to stuff 7-8 goals within the same cookie and account.
          >
          > thanks in advance.

        • Gahlord
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
            Either group all your goal URLs in the same path (complete/goal1
            complete/goal2 complete/goaln) and use the content reports to review
            them or enable and use ecommerce tracking.

            Gahlord
          • Julien Coquet
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
              Something tells me we're going to get more goals per profile soon...

              Just create a duplicate profile and pronto, you get 4 more goals.

              @mr_awesome: you will find that shortcomings are much fewer when you
              actually know how any given solution works ;-)

              @gahlord: make sure you're not over-lapping goals between conversions and
              e-commerce

              Seriously guys, read up and use the friendly manual. It's not that hard ;-)

              *Julien Coquet*
              julien.coquet@... | skype: juliencoquet
              Suivez moi sur Twitter à http://twitter.com/juliencoquet

              *Web Analytics Association* - Responsable France
              Animateur de la communauté francophone des web analytics sur
              http://analyseweb.fr

              On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Gahlord <gahlord@...> wrote:

              > Either group all your goal URLs in the same path (complete/goal1
              > complete/goal2 complete/goaln) and use the content reports to review
              > them or enable and use ecommerce tracking.
              >
              > Gahlord

            • Miles Bennett (Targetstone)
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
                What about yahoo web analytics or at internet - the latter have just released a new version called NX.

                Will blog their press release when I get out the city.

                Cheers
                Miles
                Miles Bennett
                TargetStone
                M: 07545822786
                W: www.targetstone.com
                B: http://blog.targetstone.com
                L: http://www.linkedin.com/in/milesbennett

                the most effective cure I found for google analytics shortcomings is Omniture, coremetrics, Webtrends or clicktracks

                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Evan J Andrews <evanandrews@...> wrote:

                > Does anyone have an elegant workaround Google Analytics four conversion goal
                > cap, and if so, could they please ping me (or share with the group)? I'm
                > trying to stuff 7-8 goals within the same cookie and account.
                >
                > thanks in advance.

              • brian_clifton_uk
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
                  LOL mr_awesome77...

                  Evan - if you just want to add a couple more goals use a carbon copy profile as others have described here.

                  If you have a lot more goals - e.g. you have a pdf catalogue or software download site where each download is goal, use the pseudo e-commerce method I describe in Chapter 11 of the book. That way, each goal becomes a "product".

                  Monetising goals is a best practise step anyhow, but with this method you get the whole e-commerce section of GA to play with.

                  I don't have a specific blog post on this, so just pointing to the book site as an FYI:
                  www.advanced-web-metrics.com/?utm_id=11

                  Best regards, Brian
                  Author

                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "mr_awesome77" <jon.bovard@...> wrote:

                  > the most effective cure I found for google analytics shortcomings is Omniture, coremetrics, Webtrends or clicktracks
                  >

                  > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Evan J Andrews <evanandrews@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Does anyone have an elegant workaround Google Analytics four conversion goal
                  > > cap, and if so, could they please ping me (or share with the group)? I'm
                  > > trying to stuff 7-8 goals within the same cookie and account.
                  > >
                  > > thanks in advance.

                • Adam Ware (wheresitworking)
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
                    Evan,
                    Our solution is to create duplicate profiles, and set up the additional goals in them. Then we create one "rollup" profile with a single goal - this goal uses regular expression to include the final URL for every other goal for the site. That way we can get overall conversion data for the site from that profile, and then individual goal data from the other profiles. The only issue is that numbers won't add up, because you'll have a small percentage visitors that complete two or more conversion goals in a visit, but it is only counted as a single conversion in the rollup. Make sense? Let me know if you need more details.
                    - Adam (@wheresitworking)

                    --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Evan J Andrews <evanandrews@...> wrote:

                    > Does anyone have an elegant workaround Google Analytics four conversion goal
                    > cap, and if so, could they please ping me (or share with the group)? I'm
                    > trying to stuff 7-8 goals within the same cookie and account.
                    >
                    > thanks in advance.

                  • insightrjames
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 7, 2009
                      Evan,

                      I fully agree with Brian's response, though from a practical point of view the eCommerce solution would be more elegant (as you won't need to switch profiles to carry out analysis).

                      You may also want to try registering for the GA trusted tester programme, where you'll get access to new beta features - you might be surprised by what is available in beta right now..

                      https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=p3KzoEz3Bxrq-r87E-VTKUg&email=true

                      Cheers, J