Re: Visits and Visitor Sessions

  • shamel67
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
      Miles is right, Adam is wrong... Visitors and visits are really not the same. Furthermore, "visitors" are NOT "people".

      "Visitors" are merely an indication that multiple visits came from the same computing environment (i.e. same browser on the same computer - same cookie identifier, or in some cases, when cookies are not used, same browser version identification string and network address - or same mobile phone)... unless the user can be authenticated (using username/password or other means of validating identity).

      As you see from this simple example, things can get pretty complicated pretty fast. Knowing how your metrics are defined is essential.

      To help out, may I suggest reading the WAA Web Analytics Definitions, which clearly defines the basic metrics: http://www.webanalyticsassociation.org/attachments/committees/5/WAA_Web_Analytics_Definitions_20080922_For_Public_Comment.pdf

      Stéphane Hamel
      - eBusiness Strategist & Web Analytics advocate!
      - Board of Director & Treasurer, Web Analytics Association
      - Tutor, UBC Award of Achievement in Web Analytics
      Twitter: immeria
      Web: http://immeria.net
      Blog: http://blog.immeria.net
      LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/shamel
      WASP: http://WebAnalyticsSolutionProfiler.com
      WAA: http://WebAnalyticsAssociation.org
      UBC: http://www.tech.ubc.ca/webanalytics/

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Miles Bennett (Targetstone)" <miles.bennett@...> wrote:

      > Sorry to disagree but a visitor is one person and a visit is the session. Therefore one person can come to your site multiple times whether this be measured by an authenticated username or a web analytics cookie value. If that individual is measured by a web analytics cookie value, and isn't required/doesn't sign in, then accesses from two different pcs then they are classed as two visitors.
      > Miles Bennett
      > TargetStone
      > M: 07545822786
      > W: www.targetstone.com
      > B: http://blog.targetstone.com
      > L: http://www.linkedin.com/in/milesbennett

    • Stephen Wagh
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
        So you mean ..visits and the sessions are the same.

        Please confirm.

        Thank you,
        Stephen

        ________________________________
        Miles is right, Adam is wrong... Visitors and visits are really not the same. Furthermore, "visitors" are NOT "people".

        "Visitors" are merely an indication that multiple visits came from the same computing environment (i.e. same browser on the same computer - same cookie identifier, or in some cases, when cookies are not used, same browser version identification string and network address - or same mobile phone)... unless the user can be authenticated (using username/password or other means of validating identity).

        As you see from this simple example, things can get pretty complicated pretty fast. Knowing how your metrics are defined is essential.

        To help out, may I suggest reading the WAA Web Analytics Definitions, which clearly defines the basic metrics: http://www.webanaly ticsassociation. org/attachments/ committees/ 5/WAA_Web_ Analytics_ Definitions_ 20080922_ For_Public_ Comment.pdf

        Stéphane Hamel
        - eBusiness Strategist & Web Analytics advocate!
        - Board of Director & Treasurer, Web Analytics Association
        - Tutor, UBC Award of Achievement in Web Analytics
        Twitter: immeria
        Web: http://immeria. net
        Blog: http://blog. immeria.net
        LinkedIn: http://linkedin. com/in/shamel
        WASP: http://WebAnalyticsSolutionProfiler.com
        WAA: http://WebAnalytics Association. org
        UBC: http://www.tech. ubc.ca/webanalyt ics/

        --- In webanalytics@ yahoogroups. com, "Miles Bennett (Targetstone) " <miles.bennett@ ...> wrote:

        > Sorry to disagree but a visitor is one person and a visit is the session. Therefore one person can come to your site multiple times whether this be measured by an authenticated username or a web analytics cookie value. If that individual is measured by a web analytics cookie value, and isn't required/doesn' t sign in, then accesses from two different pcs then they are classed as two visitors.
        > Miles Bennett
        > TargetStone
        > M: 07545822786
        > W: www.targetstone. com
        > B: http://blog. targetstone. com
        > L: http://www.linkedin.com/in/milesbennett

      • Anil Batra
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
          Here is my blog post on visits, visitors, page views and "HITS"

          http://webanalysis.blogspot.com/2009/06/hits-page-views-visitors-and-visits.html

          Hope this helps.

          Anil

          _______________________________

          Anil Batra

          VP of Search & Analytics

          POP

          PH +1 206.224.0592

          FX +1 206.728.1144

          http://www.pop.us <http://www.pop.us/>

          http://www.anilbatra.com <http://www.anilbatra.com/>

          ________________________________

          On Behalf Of Miles Bennett (Targetstone)
          Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 3:05 PM
          To: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [webanalytics] Visits and Visitor Sessions

          B: http://blog.targetstone.com <http://blog.targetstone.com>

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2009
            Yes.. Visits and Sessions are same.!
            rAm

            i Think, i Wait, i Fast -- Siddhartha
            http://sodidi.ramjeeganti.com

            > <http://sodidi.ramjeeganti.com>
            > On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Stephen Wagh <stephen.wagh@...>wrote:
            >

            >> So you mean ..visits and the sessions are the same.
            >>
            >> Please confirm.
            >>
            >> Thank you,
            >> Stephen
            >>

            >> ________________________________

          • abbdrb
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2009
              In the WAA Standards document, we DO consider visits and sessions to be the same thing.

              As was mentioned above, visitOR is a different metric.

              angie

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Wagh <stephen.wagh@...> wrote:

              > So you mean ..visits and the sessions are the same.
              >
              > Please confirm.
              >
              > Thank you,
              > Stephen
              >

              > ________________________________

            • shamel67
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 2, 2009
                Exactly, "visits" and "sessions" are synonyms.

                You obviously haven't took 30 sec to read the document I mentioned...

                Again: http://www.webanalyticsassociation.org/attachments/committees/5/WAA_Web_Analytics_Definitions_20080922_For_Public_Comment.pdf (or http://bit.ly/E4aN )

                I'll save you the 30 seconds, it clearly states, at page 11:
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 9, 2009
                  Hello,
                  I think I actually agree with both Myles and Adam.

                  If you look at your visits number and your total visitors number (including duplicates i.e assuming that if the same visitor comes to your site twice during a day/week/month) then he/she will be counted twice),then these 2 numbers should match.

                  However, yes if you look at your visits number and at your unique visitors number then these 2 metrics will not match as if the same visitor comes to the site twice during a day/week/month, then in this scenario he/she will only be counted once but you will get 2 visits generated by this visitor.

                  Would you agree folks?

                  Thanks

                  Penelope

                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "shamel67" <shamel67@...> wrote:

                  > Miles is right, Adam is wrong... Visitors and visits are really not the same. Furthermore, "visitors" are NOT "people".
                  >
                  > "Visitors" are merely an indication that multiple visits came from the same computing environment (i.e. same browser on the same computer - same cookie identifier, or in some cases, when cookies are not used, same browser version identification string and network address - or same mobile phone)... unless the user can be authenticated (using username/password or other means of validating identity).
                  >
                  > As you see from this simple example, things can get pretty complicated pretty fast. Knowing how your metrics are defined is essential.
                  >
                  > To help out, may I suggest reading the WAA Web Analytics Definitions, which clearly defines the basic metrics: http://www.webanalyticsassociation.org/attachments/committees/5/WAA_Web_Analytics_Definitions_20080922_For_Public_Comment.pdf
                  >
                  > Stéphane Hamel
                  > - eBusiness Strategist & Web Analytics advocate!
                  > - Board of Director & Treasurer, Web Analytics Association
                  > - Tutor, UBC Award of Achievement in Web Analytics
                  > Twitter: immeria
                  > Web: http://immeria.net
                  > Blog: http://blog.immeria.net
                  > LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/shamel
                  > WASP: http://WebAnalyticsSolutionProfiler.com
                  > WAA: http://WebAnalyticsAssociation.org
                  > UBC: http://www.tech.ubc.ca/webanalytics/
                  >
                  > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Miles Bennett (Targetstone)" <miles.bennett@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Sorry to disagree but a visitor is one person and a visit is the session. Therefore one person can come to your site multiple times whether this be measured by an authenticated username or a web analytics cookie value. If that individual is measured by a web analytics cookie value, and isn't required/doesn't sign in, then accesses from two different pcs then they are classed as two visitors.
                  > > Miles Bennett
                  > > TargetStone
                  > > M: 07545822786
                  > > W: www.targetstone.com
                  > > B: http://blog.targetstone.com
                  > > L: http://www.linkedin.com/in/milesbennett

                • cericksonjp
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 10, 2009
                    I think I've figured out how to start a big long thread on the Web Analytics Forum, and get everyone to tell each other that they're wrong...

                    I'll just ask if "Session Hits" and "Visit page views" are the same thing.

                    "Hits and Page views are different!" "You're wrong, sessions and visits are the same!"

                    :)

                    -Chris

                  • supersmarti321
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 10, 2009
                      It's all about the cookies. Forgive me - I am intent on the GA IQ exam lessons: I don't know code and am half blind from determination.