RE: [webanalytics] Brand: How to measure it?

  • Nikki Rae - Fresh Egg Ltd
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2009
      Hi

      I would set up a profile to capture brand terms first and foremost and apply
      metrics measurement to that. You can measure time on page , bounce etc.,
      no. Of pages viewed between brand/non-brand search terms.

      Hope that helps?

      Nikki

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2009
        Hi Adam,

        In terms of measuring brand impact for your advertising campaigns you have a couple options from Yahoo!

        There are two analytics products within your Yahoo! Search Marketing account that you can use. One is called Conversion Only and the other is called Full Analytics.

        Each product contains a metric within their reports called Assists. Assists show you the total numbe of times that one ad or keyword contributed to the conversion of another ad or keyword.

        If you want to see how effective your search keywords are, then you can use Conversion Only. If a visitor searches for one of your branded keywords, clicks on your ad, reaches your web site, and does not convert (does not sign up or make a purchase), but later comes back to Yahoo, searches for another keyord, clicks on your ad again, and this time converts....the branded keyword will receive an Assist while the second keyword will get the conversion.

        Over time, you'll be able to see how well your branded terms are at driving conversions to your other terms.

        If you want to measure how well your display ads are at branding impact, then you can use Full Analytics.

        Full Analytics will allow you to track multiple types of campaigns (search, display, email, shopping, etc) under one roof. It also contains the Assist metric which allows you to see attribution across multiple campaigns.

        For example, if a visitor clicks on one of your display campaigns and does not convert, but later converts off of one of your search campaigns and this time converts....the display ad will receive an Assist and the seach ad will receive a conversion.

        Over time, you'll be able to measure the branding impact of those display ads. You'll not only see the total number of times the display ads converted on their own (which is pretty small), but for the first time, you'll be abel to see how effective your display ads are for driving conversions to other ads, such as your search ads (which happens quite frequently).

        If you have any questions, let me know.

        Matt Lillig
        Yahoo! Search Analytics Lead
        lilligm@...

      • ryan.ekins@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2009
          This is actually something that I'm really interested in. When I was at
          Omniture we were considering some integrations with internet brand
          management companies. I forget the one that we talked to, but could
          probably find out. Basically the integration would be the brand management
          software tracking positive and negative occurrences on the brand and then
          passing in data to the web analytics tool to when the brand events
          occurred. Hopefully from there you can see affects from the brand events. I
          haven't heard of anyone doing this other than maybe the Twitter integration
          at Omniture (brand management software is better because it looks across
          all social channels). It would also be cool to look at branding keywords by
          DMA to index areas of the US that have better brand awareness. Just some
          thoughts, but we haven't put any of that in play yet.

          On Aug 6, 2009 4:34am, Nikki Rae - Fresh Egg Ltd <nikki@...> wrote:

          > Hi

          > I would set up a profile to capture brand terms first and foremost and
          > apply

          > metrics measurement to that. You can measure time on page , bounce etc.,

          > no. Of pages viewed between brand/non-brand search terms.

          > Hope that helps?

          > Nikki

        • Adam Laughlin
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10, 2009
            @ Nikki: Excellent idea. Thank you. Segmenting by brand-related searches makes sense. Combined with an application of the strategies in your call-tracking white paper, there's already the potential for a heap of data. Sorting through what's most important should be fun.

            @ Ryan: Integration with a brand management company would be sweet. Definitely something to look into in the future.

            @ Matt: Assists is nifty. Good idea! Though we don't use YA, the idea itself helps for building a logic model.

            Thanks everyone!

            Here are a few resources I ran across also:

            Blog post - Monetizing brand value:
            http://www.true-impact.com/blog/?p=6

            Books:
            Measuring Marketing: 103 Key Metrics Every Marketer Needs
            http://www.amazon.com/Measuring-Marketing-Metrics-Every-Marketer/dp/0470821329/

            Multichannel Marketing: Metrics and Methods for On and Offline Success
            http://www.amazon.com/Multichannel-Marketing-Metrics-Methods-Offline/dp/047023959X/

            Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
            http://www.amazon.com/Marketing-Metrics-Executive-Should-Master/dp/0131873709/