Re: Omniture - Basic Marketing Metrics?

  • Kris
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2009
      Hey Sara,

      In SiteCatalyst, this gets really tricky (at least from my experience) because all metrics are e-commerce related and are useless for non-ecommerce sites (my situation).
      In order to get a bounce rate metric, we had to go through the ridiculous task of setting up 2 new metrics (i think they were e vars)in the js file. They counted landing page views and 2nd page views. So basically you had to create a calculated metric using those to variables in order to generate a bounce rate.

      Crazy, yes. I have yet to bother to utilize this myself.

      And I am envious of you having Discover... why are you opposed to getting the info there? Isn't that why they provide that tool?

      Kris

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "saradhunter" <sarakenton@...> wrote:

      > Hello Everyone,
      >
      > I have a question. We use Omniture and I am trying to build out a "marketing sources report" that includes the following metrics:
      >
      > - Visits (I can do this)
      > - Bounce Rate
      > - Avg Time Spent on Site
      > - Page Views per Visit
      >
      > In order to first build my Marketing Sources report, I have deployed the Unified Sources Vista Rule and then classified all traffic sources into "sources" (Paid Search, SEO, Email, etc). However, I have noticed in Site Catalyst I cannot build calculated metrics like Bounce Rate in the report itself.
      >
      > I am guessing someone has run into this before since these metrics are very basic marketing metrics - can someone help me? Also, I have a user base of over 50 marketers that I do not want going into Discover to get this data if at all possible.
      >
      > Thank you in advance!!!

    • Adam Berlinger
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2009
        Just to confirm, you to include the metrics below for each "source" within your Marketing Sources report? That could be tricky if it's all encapsulated within the same report suite. But I do recall that you can enable different measures within a report. You'll have to call your account manager to do this. You can also try creating a filtered ASI slot based each of your sources.
         Thanks,
        Adam
        http://analyticsbyadam.blogspot.com

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2009
          Hi Kris,

          Thank you for your feedback. That recommendation sounds like rigging the system - which just frightens me.

          Discover is great - but it's got some very big issues that prevent it from being used on a day to day basis globally. We have a marketing team of over 50, however not all are "analysts" so I would prefer them to have a bookmarked marketing report in Site Catalyst they can use over, and over, and over again for each campaign they launch.

          In addition, in Discover has a lot of flexibility but it is best used for ad-hoc analysis in my opinion. You can only import data into a project/report once - and once it hits the end of the quarter the report you have been using has to be completely recreated each quarter. We just do not have resources to do that - plus training on Discover is a bit more complex unless the user is truly an "analyst" and not just a marketer.

          You would think with the large volume of sophisticated clients they would have a comprehensive marketing solution. Maybe others are using a separate tool for this part of analytics? Also, we only have a few Discover license because they are VERY costly so it limits adoption.

          Ugh.

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Kris" <krisgroulx@...> wrote:

          > Hey Sara,
          >
          > In SiteCatalyst, this gets really tricky (at least from my experience) because all metrics are e-commerce related and are useless for non-ecommerce sites (my situation).
          > In order to get a bounce rate metric, we had to go through the ridiculous task of setting up 2 new metrics (i think they were e vars)in the js file. They counted landing page views and 2nd page views. So basically you had to create a calculated metric using those to variables in order to generate a bounce rate.
          >
          > Crazy, yes. I have yet to bother to utilize this myself.
          >
          > And I am envious of you having Discover... why are you opposed to getting the info there? Isn't that why they provide that tool?
          >
          > Kris
          >

          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "saradhunter" <sarakenton@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Everyone,
          > >
          > > I have a question. We use Omniture and I am trying to build out a "marketing sources report" that includes the following metrics:
          > >
          > > - Visits (I can do this)
          > > - Bounce Rate
          > > - Avg Time Spent on Site
          > > - Page Views per Visit
          > >
          > > In order to first build my Marketing Sources report, I have deployed the Unified Sources Vista Rule and then classified all traffic sources into "sources" (Paid Search, SEO, Email, etc). However, I have noticed in Site Catalyst I cannot build calculated metrics like Bounce Rate in the report itself.
          > >
          > > I am guessing someone has run into this before since these metrics are very basic marketing metrics - can someone help me? Also, I have a user base of over 50 marketers that I do not want going into Discover to get this data if at all possible.
          > >
          > > Thank you in advance!!!

        • rcalentine
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2009
            Sara,

            There are a couple of different ways to answer your question. Discover is an option and a pretty good option if you do not want to do any customization to SiteCatalyst. That being said, Discover can be cost prohibitive. To get most of the metrics that you are looking for, you need to pass information into a prop and then turn on pathing. You can do this a couple of different ways. First, is to pass your marketing information into a prop and then use the getandpersist plug-in on the prop. Second, you use the Unified Source vista Rule and pass the marketing information into a prop. There is a cost to the Vista Rule, though it is a one time cost. You will need to contact your Account Manager for the cost to the rule. Third, you use the Channel Manager plug-in. This is a newer plug-in and will require an engagement with consulting services, but this option is a little more flexible and will actually pass bounce rate as a success metric.

            I hope this is helpful.

> [...]
            > > >
            > > > Hello Everyone,
            > > >
            > > > I have a question. We use Omniture and I am trying to build out a "marketing sources report" that includes the following metrics:
            > > >
            > > > - Visits (I can do this)
            > > > - Bounce Rate
            > > > - Avg Time Spent on Site
            > > > - Page Views per Visit
            > > >
            > > > In order to first build my Marketing Sources report, I have deployed the Unified Sources Vista Rule and then classified all traffic sources into "sources" (Paid Search, SEO, Email, etc). However, I have noticed in Site Catalyst I cannot build calculated metrics like Bounce Rate in the report itself.
            > > >
            > > > I am guessing someone has run into this before since these metrics are very basic marketing metrics - can someone help me? Also, I have a user base of over 50 marketers that I do not want going into Discover to get this data if at all possible.

          • Kris
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009
              Hey Sara,

              Our Omniture consultant was actually the one who came up with that idea!
              In any case you can do what our marketing dept did: implement Google Analytics on the sites they were running campaigns for! Works like a charm. It's sad to have to use two systems, but GA makes campaign tracking insanely easy compared to SiteCatalyst.
              Otherwise, put on a pot of your favourite coffee, and try to get your account manager and/or customer service help you find a solution. With the money your spending, they should gladly be able to come up with something to suite your needs.

              Kris G

> [...]
              > > >
              > > > Hello Everyone,
              > > >
              > > > I have a question. We use Omniture and I am trying to build out a "marketing sources report" that includes the following metrics:
              > > >
              > > > - Visits (I can do this)
              > > > - Bounce Rate
              > > > - Avg Time Spent on Site
              > > > - Page Views per Visit
              > > >
              > > > In order to first build my Marketing Sources report, I have deployed the Unified Sources Vista Rule and then classified all traffic sources into "sources" (Paid Search, SEO, Email, etc). However, I have noticed in Site Catalyst I cannot build calculated metrics like Bounce Rate in the report itself.
              > > >
              > > > I am guessing someone has run into this before since these metrics are very basic marketing metrics - can someone help me? Also, I have a user base of over 50 marketers that I do not want going into Discover to get this data if at all possible.

            • Kris
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 7, 2009
                Interesting. I'll have to look into these options as well. Kinda surprised/disappointed that 2 consultants at Omniture didn't reccomend any of this. I've never even heard of the channel manager plug in.
                We did set up props for marketing purposed, but I don't think they are in the same context as what your saying here.

                Kris

                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "rcalentine" <rcalentine@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > >
                > > Ugh.
                > >
                > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Kris" <krisgroulx@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hey Sara,
                > > >
                > > > In SiteCatalyst, this gets really tricky (at least from my experience) because all metrics are e-commerce related and are useless for non-ecommerce sites (my situation).
                > > > In order to get a bounce rate metric, we had to go through the ridiculous task of setting up 2 new metrics (i think they were e vars)in the js file. They counted landing page views and 2nd page views. So basically you had to create a calculated metric using those to variables in order to generate a bounce rate.
                > > >
                > > > Crazy, yes. I have yet to bother to utilize this myself.
                > > >
                > > > And I am envious of you having Discover... why are you opposed to getting the info there? Isn't that why they provide that tool?

              • brg36
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 7, 2009
                  Kris,

                  My best guess is that your consultants here didn't recommend the Channel Manager solution because it can be a bit redundant when used alongside the Unified Sources VISTA rule; they can do essentially the same thing. One HUGE advantage of the VISTA rule, though, is that the list of search engines is managed by Omniture on our end rather than within the plug-in. On the other hand, having the VISTA rule also means that you have less control over which variables to populate, and when.

                  As Richard correctly suggested, you can have our Engineering Services team alter the VISTA rule to meet your specifications by passing the necessary values into props. This would involve a one-time cost to alter and test the new rule functionality. Alternatively, if you're still working with a consultant, bring up the Channel Manager suggestion as a viable alternative.

                  And please let me know if you have any further questions/concerns about this. I'd be happy to help however I can.

                  Thanks,
                  Ben Gaines
                  Omniture, Inc.

                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Kris" <krisgroulx@...> wrote:

                  > Interesting. I'll have to look into these options as well. Kinda surprised/disappointed that 2 consultants at Omniture didn't reccomend any of this. I've never even heard of the channel manager plug in.
                  > We did set up props for marketing purposed, but I don't think they are in the same context as what your saying here.
                  >
                  > Kris
                  >
                  > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "rcalentine" <rcalentine@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Sara,
                  > >
                  > > There are a couple of different ways to answer your question. Discover is an option and a pretty good option if you do not want to do any customization to SiteCatalyst. That being said, Discover can be cost prohibitive. To get most of the metrics that you are looking for, you need to pass information into a prop and then turn on pathing. You can do this a couple of different ways. First, is to pass your marketing information into a prop and then use the getandpersist plug-in on the prop. Second, you use the Unified Source vista Rule and pass the marketing information into a prop. There is a cost to the Vista Rule, though it is a one time cost. You will need to contact your Account Manager for the cost to the rule. Third, you use the Channel Manager plug-in. This is a newer plug-in and will require an engagement with consulting services, but this option is a little more flexible and will actually pass bounce rate as a success metric.
                  > >
                  > > I hope this is helpful.

                  > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "saradhunter" <sarakenton@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi Kris,
                  > > >
                  > > > Thank you for your feedback. That recommendation sounds like rigging the system - which just frightens me.
                  > > >
                  > > > Discover is great - but it's got some very big issues that prevent it from being used on a day to day basis globally. We have a marketing team of over 50, however not all are "analysts" so I would prefer them to have a bookmarked marketing report in Site Catalyst they can use over, and over, and over again for each campaign they launch.
                  > > >
                  > > > In addition, in Discover has a lot of flexibility but it is best used for ad-hoc analysis in my opinion. You can only import data into a project/report once - and once it hits the end of the quarter the report you have been using has to be completely recreated each quarter. We just do not have resources to do that - plus training on Discover is a bit more complex unless the user is truly an "analyst" and not just a marketer.
                  > > >
                  > > > You would think with the large volume of sophisticated clients they would have a comprehensive marketing solution. Maybe others are using a separate tool for this part of analytics? Also, we only have a few Discover license because they are VERY costly so it limits adoption.
                  > > >
                  > > > Ugh.

                • Kris
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 8, 2009
                    Thanks Ben,

                    Although I can't utilize our consultant for "fine tuning" as we are running short on hours and have bigger fish to fry, I will continue in my quest to get a legitimate bounce rate metric for our marketing initiatives!

                    PS- Our consultant has been very helpful so far, and I in no way want to seem like I am knocking the service!

                    Kris