Re: Properly setting up Google Analytics

  • Marcela Plana
    Message 1 of 13 , May 31, 2009
      Hello Katherine,

      > I inherited Google Analytic accounts, and I'm 100%
      > sure that they are not set up properly because for
      > the profile www.ewg.org, www.ewg.org shows up in the
      > referral report.

      Have you checked that all internal links in the website are set as relative (./someotherpage.html) and not absolute (http://www.ewg.org/someotherpage.html)?

      Regards,
      M.
    • luckybeanz
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
        Hi,

        Just to point out, it is possible that your own site is a true referrer. If a visitors session times out and they then click on a link on the page they were on which links to another page in your site. The initial page will be considered as a referrer.

        Mark
        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Marcela Plana" <marcela.plana@...> wrote:

        > Hello Katherine,
        >
        > > I inherited Google Analytic accounts, and I'm 100%
        > > sure that they are not set up properly because for
        > > the profile www.ewg.org, www.ewg.org shows up in the
        > > referral report.
        >
        > Have you checked that all internal links in the website are set as relative (./someotherpage.html) and not absolute (http://www.ewg.org/someotherpage.html)?
        >
        > Regards,
        > M.

      • nethab1
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
          Not entirely true. If the visitors session times out and a same-site link is clicked, GA will identify the visit as "direct" if the current domain is found within the first 8 characters of the referrer domain.

          From urchin.js (edited for clarity)

          p=document.referrer.indexOf(document.domain);
          if ((p>=0) && (p<=8)) { source="direct"; }

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "luckybeanz" <luckybeanz@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Just to point out, it is possible that your own site is a true referrer. If a visitors session times out and they then click on a link on the page they were on which links to another page in your site. The initial page will be considered as a referrer.
          >
          > Mark
          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Marcela Plana" <marcela.plana@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Katherine,
          > >
          > > > I inherited Google Analytic accounts, and I'm 100%
          > > > sure that they are not set up properly because for
          > > > the profile www.ewg.org, www.ewg.org shows up in the
          > > > referral report.
          > >
          > > Have you checked that all internal links in the website are set as relative (./someotherpage.html) and not absolute (http://www.ewg.org/someotherpage.html)?
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > M.

        • Béate Vervaecke | e-Zen
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 3, 2009
            Hi Nethab,

            Is that also true for ga.js?

            Béate Vervaecke

            Not entirely true. If the visitors session times out and a same-site link is
            clicked, GA will identify the visit as "direct" if the current domain is
            found within the first 8 characters of the referrer domain.

            From urchin.js (edited for clarity)

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>

            <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> , "Marcela Plana" <marcela.plana@>
            wrote:

            > > Hello Katherine,
            > >
            > > > I inherited Google Analytic accounts, and I'm 100%
            > > > sure that they are not set up properly because for
            > > > the profile www.ewg.org, www.ewg.org shows up in the
            > > > referral report.
            > >
            > > Have you checked that all internal links in the website are set as
            relative (./someotherpage.html) and not absolute
            (http://www.ewg.org/someotherpage.html)?

            > > Regards,
            > > M.

          • nethab1
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 4, 2009
              Your going to make me go digging through ga.js aren't you?

              Ok, here you go. I found the equivalent function in ga.js also (edited for clarity)

              a.tc=function(b,e){
              b = document.referrer;
              e = document.domain;
              if(o(b))b="-";
              else{
              var j=k(b,e);
              b=j>=0&&j<=8?"0":...
              }
              return b
              };

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Béate Vervaecke | e-Zen <beate@...> wrote:

              > Hi Nethab,
              >

              > Is that also true for ga.js?
              >

              > Béate Vervaecke

            • Béate Vervaecke | e-Zen
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 7, 2009
                @Nethab: ThankYou!!

                Béate Vervaecke

                Your going to make me go digging through ga.js aren't you?

                Ok, here you go. I found the equivalent function in ga.js also (edited for
                clarity)

                a.tc=function(b,e){
                b = document.referrer;
                e = document.domain;
                if(o(b))b="-";
                else{
                var j=k(b,e);
                b=j>=0&&j<=8?"0":...
                }
                return b
                };

                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>
                , Béate Vervaecke | e-Zen <beate@...> wrote:

                > Hi Nethab,
                >

                > Is that also true for ga.js?
                >

                > Béate Vervaecke
                >

                > From: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>
                > Not entirely true. If the visitors session times out and a same-site link
                is
                > clicked, GA will identify the visit as "direct" if the current domain is
                > found within the first 8 characters of the referrer domain.
                >
                > From urchin.js (edited for clarity)
                >
                > p=document.referrer.indexOf(document.domain);
                > if ((p>=0) && (p<=8)) { source="direct"; }
                >
                > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>
                <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>
                > , "luckybeanz" <luckybeanz@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > Just to point out, it is possible that your own site is a true referrer.
                > If a visitors session times out and they then click on a link on the page
                > they were on which links to another page in your site. The initial page
                will
                > be considered as a referrer.
                > >
                > > Mark
                > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>
                > <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> , "Marcela Plana" <marcela.plana@>
                > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hello Katherine,

                > > > Have you checked that all internal links in the website are set as
                > relative (./someotherpage.html) and not absolute
                > (http://www.ewg.org/someotherpage.html)?
                > > >
                > > > Regards,
                > > > M.

              • tervebe
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 23, 2009
                  An old post, but it made me wonder in what cases a referral from the same domain is considered as a referral, and not as a direct visit as mentionned in this post by Nethab.

                • Miles Bennett (Targetstone)
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 23, 2009
                    What if the site had a sub domain set up for a specific purpose not relating directly to the site.

                    This would show us as a referral of same domain so would have to check url report
                    Miles Bennett
                    TargetStone
                    M: 07545822786
                    W: www.targetstone.com
                    B: http://blog.targetstone.com
                    L: http://www.linkedin.com/in/milesbennett

                    --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, B�ate Vervaecke | e-Zen

                  • G. Scott Stukey
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 23, 2009
                      Session timeouts will set the refering domain as itself...

                      I.e. A visitor comes to your site, leaves the browser window open,
                      grabs some starbucks, comes back 31 minutes later(standard session
                      length - 30 mins), and clicks on a link from page1.html to
                      page2.html... It will look like a new visitor coming to your site on
                      page2 from a referral (the 1st page..).

                      Also they go from an untagged page of your site to a tagged page.

                      -G. Scott Stukey

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Sep 23, 2009, at 10:26 AM, "Miles Bennett (Targetstone)" <miles.bennett@...

                    • nethab1
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 25, 2009
                        Not true, if the "referrer domain" is identical to the domain name of the page you are loading, that visit is treated as direct (see snippet of tracking code below).

                        The only time a domain will show up in it's own "Referring Sites" report is if page1 and page2 are on different domains or "significantly" different sub-domains (doesn't appear in the first 8 characters of the referring domain)