hbx: organic referrals

  • Nikki Rae
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2009
      Hi All

      We are playing with HBX at the moment and wondered if anyone could tell us
      the difference between organic clicks and organic referring clicks.

      Help here would be much appreciated.

      Thank you!

      Nikki

      Nicola Rae Fresh Egg Ltd

      Internet Marketing and Search Analytics Engineer

      <mailto:Nikki.Rae@...> Nikki.Rae@...

      <mailto:info@...> info@...

      Tel: UK 01903 247 788

      Fax: 01903 705 335

      -----------------

      "Without Search Engine Optimisation you are throwing away up to 85 percent
      of your potential visitors and customers, and a full 80 percent of your
      potential customers will find their way to a rival business instead."

      For further information please call the Internet Marketing Department on:
      0870 872 0087

      -----------------

      This email message is confidential and for use by the addressee only. If the
      message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the
      message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from
      your computer.. 'Internet emails are not necessarily secure. Fresh Egg Ltd
      does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was
      sent.'

    • alec_cochrane
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2009
        Hi Nikki,

        HBX, like most other tools, picks up for your referrer the number of
        times that a particular referrer appears in the browsers header (this is
        the number of clicks).

        HBX then takes all these referrers and works out how many of them
        equated to the first page view from that persons visit and discards the
        rest (ref clicks).

        Unfortunately there are a number of occasions where your browser may
        think that you have a referrer when it is no longer the first page in
        your visit. Some examples of this are:

        1. When users leave the site and come back before the session has
        timed out
        2. When users (or javascript) refreshes the page
        3. When users navigate off their first page and then click on the
        back button to go back to it

        I suspect that number three is large and so you'll find your clicks are
        much bigger than your ref clicks (usually one and a half times as big).

        For referring domains and search terms I'd advise you use ref clicks and
        ignore clicks altogether as a near on useless metric.

        Cheers,
        Alec

        ----

        ----
        > -----------------
        >
        > This email message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.
        If the
        > message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return
        the
        > message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message
        from
        > your computer.. 'Internet emails are not necessarily secure. Fresh Egg
        Ltd
        > does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after
        it was
        > sent.'

      • Nikki Rae
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2009
          Hi Alec,

          That's great! Thanks so much for your help!

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>

          ----------------------------------------------------------\
          ----

          ----------------------------------------------------------\
          ----
          > -----------------
          >
          > This email message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.
          If the
          > message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return
          the
          > message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message
          from
          > your computer.. 'Internet emails are not necessarily secure. Fresh Egg
          Ltd
          > does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after
          it was
          > sent.'

        • Kiran R
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2009
            In a visit, the referrer tag is populated by the WA tools based on the referrer= information supplied by the browser.

            E.g:
            If you go to www.google.com and search for "buying cheap cameras" and it throws up an
            ebay link that you click, the browser will add the tag
            referrer = google when you visit ebay

            Similarly for other sites that lead you to ebay.

            All of these are referral traffic - It is organic if it is natural (not paid for - e.g: Natural search traffic), it is inorganic if it is paid for (e.g: Paid Search traffic)

            Now it may so happen that in the same visit, you come to ebay from google, from yahoo, from microsoft search as well as from other sites, who would you give the credit?

            The credit should go to the first person that got you to ebay.

            This is populated in the referrer dimension in VS/HBX
            Use that as a dimension and get the visits/clicks by the referrer. Do not use it on the metrics side - and sum up the values of visits/clicks to get it for the site.

            Thanks
            Kiran
            rkirana@...
            Web Analytics Consultant
            http://webanalyticsnuggets.blogspot.com/

            We are playing with HBX at the moment and wondered if anyone could tell us

            the difference between organic clicks and organic referring clicks.

            Help here would be much appreciated.

            Thank you!

            Nikki

            Nicola Rae Fresh Egg Ltd

            Internet Marketing and Search Analytics Engineer

            <mailto:Nikki.Rae@freshegg. com> Nikki.Rae@freshegg. com

            <mailto:info@freshegg. com> info@freshegg. com

            Tel: UK 01903 247 788

            Fax: 01903 705 335