Re: [webanalytics] Re: Counting visits

  • Hailong XIA
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2 4:13 AM
      Yes, if he is active all the time, it would be 1 visit with a visite
      duration of 3 hours. But I'm not sure if there is a visit record for Friday.

      2009/4/2 vincentdouda <abonewsletter@...>

      > Hi Bob,
      >
      > Thanks for your reply but if the visitor doesn't stop browsing from 11PM to
      > 2AM. He is active all the time.
      >
      > So it should be considered as only 1 visit across the week?
      >

      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, Bob
      > Willis <bntwillis@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Two visits.
      > > With the product I work with a visit is defined as all activity until
      > there is 30 minutes of inactivity.
      > > So a single visitor could have mulitple visits in a single day, a week or
      > a month.
      > > Visit are visits are visits.

    • abbdrb
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5 6:49 AM
        I'm pretty sure that's going to be handled differently in different tools. We're asking vendors how they do timeouts as part of our WAA Standards efforts. They might allow a visit to extend X hours into the next day, or some might just cut off any visits at midnight of the reporting day, meaning it would be counted as 2 visits no matter how you slice it.

        The thing to ask your vendor is if their visit count is "visits started" or not. If it's number of visits begun, then you'd only see one visit for the first day (not for the second), and one visit for the week.

        angie

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "vincentdouda" <abonewsletter@...> wrote:

        > Hi Bob,
        >
        > Thanks for your reply but if the visitor doesn't stop browsing from 11PM to 2AM. He is active all the time.
        >
        > So it should be considered as only 1 visit across the week?
        >

        > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Bob Willis <bntwillis@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Two visits.
        > > With the product I work with a visit is defined as all activity until there is 30 minutes of inactivity.
        > > So a single visitor could have mulitple visits in a single day, a week or a month.
        > > Visit are visits are visits.

      • vabeachkevin
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5 4:25 PM
          If you are using Omniture SiteCatalyst, they consider this to be a single visit. So long as there is not a period of more than 30 minutes of inactivity, the visit is counted toward the day it was initiated.

          Kevin Rogers
          http://webanalyticsland.com