Webtrends most recent search engine visits and overview visits

  • syedspiky
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
      Hello all Webtrends experts,

      I was wondering whether the visits figure in Webtrends 'most recent search engine report' are the multiple keywords searched and then clicked on my website link by a user to come to my website within a single visit session or it is reporting on the first keyword searched by the user to come to my website within a single visit session. If the later is true then the total of most recent search engine visits(Paid), most recent search engine visits (Organic), direct visits, aggregators visits and other referrers visits should equal the overview visits. But unfortunately these two figures never match and if these figures are added up together this comes actually much higher than the overview visits figure. So this makes me to assume that visits figure in webtrends most recent search engine report are the number of times the distinct keywords searched by the user and clicked on my website link in the search results and visited my website regardless if this happens within a single visit session (30 minute).

      Am I correct? Any insight into this is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

      Cheers
    • Wes Contreras
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2009
        WebTrends "most recent xxx" reports are based on a concept called
        Visitor History.

        When a user comes to your site, they get a cookie with an ID code in
        it. We all know that part. For profiles with Visitor History enabled,
        WebTrends stores an additional database on the back-end that contains
        that visitor ID along with a few snippets of data, like the most
        recent search engine they came to the site from, the most recent
        campaign they used, and a few other optional bits.

        This allows for reports like the Most Recent Search Engines reports
        that don't just report on what happened in a single visit, but can
        actually tie a user's traffic back to the search engine they used to
        initially find your site - including subsequent visits. That is, if a
        user uses Google to find your site, browses for a few minutes and
        bookmarks it, then comes back the next week to finish looking at
        stuff, BOTH visits will appear in the Most Recent Search Engines
        reports under the Google engine and the appropriate keyword(s) and
        phrase.

        In the profile configuration (Analysis > Visitor History in the newest
        version), you can set when campaigns and search engine history will
        expire. Default is, I think, 30 days for campaigns and 90 days for
        search engines. Within those limits, all of a customer's traffic is
        attributed to the campaign and/or search engine that directed them to
        the site - at least when viewing the "most recent" reports.

        Does that help?

        --
        Wes Contreras

        On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 7:49 AM, syedspiky <syedspiky@...> wrote:

        > Hello all Webtrends experts,
        >
        > I was wondering whether the visits figure in Webtrends 'most recent search engine report' are the multiple keywords searched and then clicked on my website link by a user to come to my website within a single visit session or it is reporting on the first keyword searched by the user to come to my website within a single visit session. If the later is true then the total of most recent search engine visits(Paid), most recent search engine visits (Organic), direct visits, aggregators visits and other referrers visits should equal the overview visits. But unfortunately these two figures never match and if these figures are added up together this comes actually much higher than the overview visits figure. So this makes me to assume that visits figure in webtrends most recent search engine report are the number of times the distinct keywords searched by the user and clicked on my website link in the search results and visited my website regardless if this happens within a single visit session (30 minute).
        >
        > Am I correct? Any insight into this is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Cheers

      • brian agranoff
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2009
          There are actually a few factors at play here, both contributing to the
          higher visit count you are seeing when trying to reconcile:

          1. Distinct Phrases as you have mentioned - Most Recent Search Engines
          is a report which consists of the Search Phrase and Search Engine. When a
          user searches on 2 different phrases during the same session, each of them
          will get credit for 1 visit.

          2. Visitor History and Attribution - The Most Recent Search Engine
          report also uses Visitor History, which means that a visitors "most recent"
          search may have been done in a different time period than the report you are
          viewing. If you are viewing a report for today, you will see visits
          attributed to phrases for searches that may have actually occurred 5 days
          ago. This is because their search from 5 days ago was stored in Visitor
          History and is the "most recent" for that visitor.

          I usually like to extend the WebTrends reports by adding a "Search Activity"
          report which does NOT include visitor history and eliminates #2 as a factor
          when trying to reconcile traffic sources. There are also ways to address the
          Distinct Phrases by not using Most Recent as the attribution method. You may
          want to checkout the online help in WebTrends. It has some very good
          examples of how the various attribution methods work. Do a search for
          "Dimensions <javascript:fC(6);> - When to Collect Data".

          Hope that helps.

          Brian

          _____

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2009
            Great answer Brian and Wes

            (how are you two going!)
            The "Most Recent Search Engine (and thus Campaign) Reports do a great job at
            representing search engine RETENTION. As Brian mentioned however you will
            want "visit-based" search report. The Page Views and Visits for this new
            report should be similar to the ones already in the out of box Search Engine
            and Phrases reports. A custom report would allow you to include Avg Time
            Viewed, Events, Steps and Revenue.

            That said, based on the fact that WebTrends will count each distinct search
            phrases as a distinct Visit and Page View (I think the pros and cons can
            argue all day on that decision), correlating these reports together is
            tough, and exact numbers are impossible.

            At the end of the day you are probably looking for:
            Paid Search - 50%
            Organic Search - 20%
            Direct Traffic - 10%
            Aggregators - 10%
            Other Sources -10%

            Your Google and Yahoo paid search of course don't just come from google.comand
            yahoo.com but many other domains as well ... making it hard to tell apart
            from Referring domain and site reports
            If you add email to the mix, it gets REALLY complicated accounting for email
            campaign traffic that will fall under Direct, mail.aol.com, hotmail.com,
            etc, etc.

            That all said, for a quick answer to your problem, and worth trending to see
            if the data is "good enough" to call it statistically significant or
            further time and resources should be involved creating a better solution.
            Since no custom reports are required you can do this.
            From the Referring Domain Report:
            1) Take your Direct traffic - This is D
            2) Run a Query for google.com, yahoo.com, aol.com, live.com, (and any other
            known paid search providers) and their international counterparts - get
            total and call it S
            3) Run a Query for all your known referral sources (aggregators) - Call this
            4) Calculate Total Visits - D - S - A = R

            From the Paid Search Engines Report
            5) Take the total Visits and call it P
            6) Calculate P - S = O

            Paid Search - P
            Organic Search - O
            Direct Traffic - D
            Aggregators - A
            Other Sources - R

            Hope this saves you some time!

            --
            Thomas Bosilevac
          • syedspiky
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3, 2009
              Brilliant explanation, Wes and Brian! Ooh, finally It is very clear now. Thanks very much for wasting your valuable time in answering my question. Thanks guys!

              And Thomas thanks to you too for answering the rest of the question explaining how to segment the visits.

              You all are star!