Reported Sales Between Google Analytics and our Database

  • nitrometrics
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2009
      There is a discrepency between what GA reports in sales on individual products and what our database is reporting (which is normal).

      The strange thing is that GA is reporting around 10% more sales than our internal database. I could understand less sales from google but 10% more is somewhat puzzling.

      Our receipt page cannot be accessed again once the checkout is complete. We are talking about thousands of transactions so there must be a substantial glitch in our setup.

      Any ideas on how this might be happening?
    • Tim Leighton-Boyce
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2009
        I've been in a similar situation. Although none of us could work out how the
        receipt page was being reloaded on different days, that was the conclusion
        we reached.

        The clue in our case was some suspiciously large transactions report which
        appeared at the top of the transactions report (since GA sorts that by
        value, descending, not by transaction number.

        We exported a series of transaction reports, one at a time, for a
        consecutive series of days. It was then an easy matter to spot that the same
        transaction was being repeated (as far as GA data was concerned) on several
        days. In the reports which spanned the days in question, the transaction
        would have appeared once, but for the sum of the values of the individual
        instances.

        It might be worthwhile for you to try something similar. This would have
        affected the products reports as well. The whole transaction was repeated.

        Tim

        2009/4/1 nitrometrics <matt@...>

        > There is a discrepency between what GA reports in sales on individual
        > products and what our database is reporting (which is normal).
        >
        > The strange thing is that GA is reporting around 10% more sales than our
        > internal database. I could understand less sales from google but 10% more is
        > somewhat puzzling.
        >
        > Our receipt page cannot be accessed again once the checkout is complete. We
        > are talking about thousands of transactions so there must be a substantial
        > glitch in our setup.
        >
        > Any ideas on how this might be happening?

      • Béate Vervaecke | e-Zen
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2009
          This looks like the typical behavior of bookmarking the receipt page and
          using this bookmark to enter the site the next time. If you compare the goal
          on the overview level with the goal in the funnel visualization, you should
          see the difference of 10%.

          Béate

[...]

          <mailto:matt%40nitrometrics.com> >