Tealeaf vs Analytics tools

  • julianbarnes34
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2009
      Having had a typically 'it can do everything and can be implemented tomorrow' sales pitch from 'Tealeaf' I am wondering how we should be considering using Tealeaf to supplement our Analytics solution.

      I can see the 'video replay' function being very useful for specific scenario playbacks, especially in funnel/step parts of our site but everything over and above that we should be able to get from our analytics tool, one benefit of Tealeaf, being a http sniffer, is that it doesn't reply on the quality or ability of us being able to tag our pages correctly.

      Anyone like to offer any advice / views / do and do nots on this subject?

      Thanks,
      Julian
    • Craig Sullivan
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30, 2009
        OK,
        Some benefits might be, for example, being able to search for particular
        events not captured by your WA solution.

        For example, a page error might be 'Sorry that zip code was invalid' - tools
        like Tealeaf will be able to identify sessions where that happened even if
        your WA tools cannot. Effectively you get more depth about 'why' something
        happened or 'what' happened at a critical conversion point. Your WA vendor
        might give you a nice funnel graph but what about the form errors or
        rendering issues in a particular browser that cause abandonment?

        Also (and this is a claim I've not tested) - Tealeaf says they can run
        imports to your WA solution, so you can avoid the hassles of tagging. I'd
        be interested to hear feedback from any TL customers who are doing this.

        There are a couple of resources here (originally posted by Scott Zakrajsec):

        http://www.tealeaf.com/downloads/tealeaf-whitepaper_cem_wa.pdf

        Also Avinash did a comparison of Tealeaf and Coradiant here:

        http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/2007/11/analytics-tools-comparison-coradiant-vs-tealeaf.html

        Regards,

        Craig.

        --
        Craig Sullivan
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/craigsullivan

        Not sent from my blackberry <grin>

      • Paul Holstein
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2009
          Well, it can't do everything, but when you combine it with another WA tool such as Omniture or Google Analytics, you'll cover most of your bases.

          First of all, you will want to tag all of your pages for TeaLeaf. Without tagging, you will miss such important information about which link did they click, how long did the page take to load and did the JavaScript fire correctly.

          Tagging in TeaLeaf is very worthwhile, if for no other reason, than you can get very good performance data when you tag your pages and secondly, you can integrate the analytics with Google Analytics fairly easily.

          Secondly, TeaLeaf doesn't do lists. This is a real bummer and the reason you will need a WA solution. You can't gather lists of keywords or referrers with the tool. It is the most serious shortcoming of the product. Of course, the simple solution is to use both TeaLeaf and a traditional WA product. Unfortunately, you can't segment by keyword or referer without pre-defining those keywords.

          All information on the dashboards come out as graphs. The timeframes for these graphs are pretty fixed as well. Daily, Weekly, etc. You can't put more than one thing on a graph either. For example, if you want to look at page load times, you have to predefine the times you want to see on each graph. i.e. one graph for 1 second load times, one graph for 2 second load times, etc. Not exactly elegant or practical because it's hard to get an overall feel, but it gets the job done.

          Finally, any bit of information you want to see in a dashboard must be setup manually. This isn't very difficult, but you often need to tweak it to be sure you are capturing the correct information.

          I have to tell you that I really love TeaLeaf. I look at my dashboards almost every day and zero in on problems and opportunities constantly.

          The simple act of looking at declined credit cards has probably already saved us the cost of the product. Therefore, I give it my full unabashed recommendation.

          Good luck and let me know offline if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to give you the "real" story.

          --Paul

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "julianbarnes34" <julianbarnes34@...> wrote:

          > Having had a typically 'it can do everything and can be implemented tomorrow' sales pitch from 'Tealeaf' I am wondering how we should be considering using Tealeaf to supplement our Analytics solution.
          >
          > I can see the 'video replay' function being very useful for specific scenario playbacks, especially in funnel/step parts of our site but everything over and above that we should be able to get from our analytics tool, one benefit of Tealeaf, being a http sniffer, is that it doesn't reply on the quality or ability of us being able to tag our pages correctly.
          >
          > Anyone like to offer any advice / views / do and do nots on this subject?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Julian

        • Ryan Ekins
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 31, 2009
            Don't forget being able to export sessions from Web Analytics Tools. You can
            look for interesting sessions (low converting sessions from a campaign,
            exits inside the shopping cart, etc) and push them into Tealeaf to see the
            replay of the sessions. Tealeaf has their own segmentation functionality,
            but you can get a little more out of a tool like Omniture.

            Coradiant is also cool because you can look at how well your IT side is
            performing and actually push page load times into the Web Analytics tool.
            That way if you have a successful campaign pushing a lot of new traffic, you
            can make sure your servers are handling it. Sometimes it makes more sense to
            pull a campaign if your IT can't handle the traffic. I think Tealeaf has
            something similar being able to detect pageload times.

            Like I've said before in this forum, I expect great things from TeaLeaf.
            They are in a unique spot to collect everything, and the more data you have,
            the more opportunities there are. As storage gets cheaper and more
            accessible and as cloud computing makes its way to mainstream, they are in
            the right spot.

            -Ryan

          • Tim Leighton-Boyce
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
              Paul,

              Can I just interrupt the real thread to thank you.

              This kind of detailed user's insight into the reality of using such a system
              is extremely valuable. It's what makes this group so valuable.

              Tim

            • Paul Holstein
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
                Thanks Tim,

                It was kind of you to acknowledge that.

                --Paul

                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Tim Leighton-Boyce <tim.lboyce@...> wrote:

                > Paul,
                >
                > Can I just interrupt the real thread to thank you.
                >
                > This kind of detailed user's insight into the reality of using such a system
                > is extremely valuable. It's what makes this group so valuable.
                >
                > Tim
                >

                > 2009/3/31 Paul Holstein <paul@...>
                >
                > > Well, it can't do everything, but when you combine it with another WA
              • marianina3
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 3, 2009
                  i agree with in most part but with tealeaf with packet sniffing it automatically collects all http requests and responses so eg you can see where people clicked on the page exactly if the href is unique on the page without additional tagging - otherwise you would need additional javascript tagging on the page called UI capture - so it depends on your needs/site - in many/most instances I don't think you need additional js tagging - it is worth it on key funnel pages though.

                  completely separately - an effective use of tealeaf is integration with web analytics tools (webtrends, google analytics etc. eg via their api tealeaf can display all of the metrics / funnels / referral information - anything that you are collecting/bucketing/segmenting eg (including all keywords in a list by source and eg do regex matching) inside the tealeaf platform and then you can click on these to view replayable sessions. or pivot from excel downloads of data straight from web analytics tool to replayable sessions in tealeaf.
                  cheers
                  marianina