Re: Analytics for content editors?

  • alec_cochrane
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2009
      In addition to the SEO training that we used to do at my old company, I
      also ran sessions on Analytics for editors. These were usually based
      around examples, but the general theme was:

      * These are you pages that get visits, this is how you find this out.
      * Most of your traffic arrives direct at your articles, this is how
      you find that out.
      * This percentage of visits bounced - this is what this means and
      this is how you find it.
      * This is where the visits arriving at an article come from (domains,
      search terms, etc).
      * This is what links people clicked on in your story.
      * This is why people clicked on your links given where they came from
      and this is how you can use this information.

      Generally what I was trying to get through to them was this concept of
      'persuasion architecture'. For eCommerce site this is easier - you can
      describe how you want a landing page to be found and set it up in an
      apropriate way.

      For media sites this was far more difficult because it meant you had to
      try and anticipate who was going to read an article and put the
      appropriate links in the article to accomodate these people to get them
      to view more pages. To do this the editors had to look at similar
      articles from the past, work out what sort of inbound links they were
      going to get and then work out what type of links had worked for those
      in the past.

      It also meant that they could work on their strategies of inbound link
      generation in a much more organised way.

      (Two points really - What can we do to get them in? What can we do to
      get them to stay?).